Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
madscientist

8/06 AM rats and a rogue wave!

Launched early but still found a clusterf$ck at the pier. 17 of us slowly picked away at greenies. After most left at graylight I finally found a good spot off a bit and loaded up.

Trolled out to the usual, saw the usual, hooked the usual. Two rats, first photo'd and released, second died. That was it for me.

Drifting on the inside close to the buoy when I saw a huge rogue wave crash on the point. Looked like it broke about 1/4 mile out and went well inside of the cove. Looked at least 15ft high from where I was. Three in a row, then back to the 2-4 ft stuff it was all day. No noticable swell out where I was by the canyon. This happened around 10:50AM. Hope no one was fishing in tight because this wave was a force of nature. Hope I never see that again.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

scary stuff with that wave. I saw a smaller one (2-4') break between the buoys once. That was a little scary to see also. Good day fishing with everyone today.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice fishes Brad...

I launched 4:15ish... Found about 20 guys at the pier making bait. Mixed swell, onshore wind made for some bumpy conditions. Had fishinTrish with me. Heard Tyler landed one. Just around the corner, I decided to make one loop trolling to head in... ZZZZZZZZZZZ on my old school Sabre glass rod, this thing is a noodle, so it was BENDO!! Brought to Gaff, Trish got the action on video. If you look closely at gaff, you can see the fish coloring.

http://media.putfile.com/La-Jolla-YT

Tyler took this pic, thanks!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

19.2#

Thanks for the pic Chris.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Brett D.

Nice reports guys. The fish Gods just weren't with me today. I woke up late got out there about 40 minutes later than I wanted. Masde it a block down the street and realized I forgot the camera. I parked my truck and walked all the way back to my yak to realize I forgot my bait tube. I did manage to scratch up 8 greenbacks for bait. I trolled one up high all the way over to where the parking lot was and got picked up imediatly. Set the hook and just watched as as big fish started to rip line off my reel. Then SNAP! the line just broke big time right at the reel. ops: I must of had a nick or an abrasion in it from fishing around kelp. I only had 2 baits that stayed alive and I couldn't get bi on those so I went in to the beach by 10am.
Chris I thought I saw you inside of me this morning but I didn't think you fished on the weekends.
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Nice post fellas....

Think I know where you were Brad, have had one of the rogue guys hit me before, a mix of a cross current and wave that forms out of nowhere...
cross rippling effect, churns it up and sets it to you.

Thought of taking the lad out this morn, but he had too much fun boogie boarding yesterday with the big swells and wanted to hit it again....

Lifeguards were busy all day...as was I.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote