Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

A 3 Day Insane Story

Well it's my turn ladies and gentlemen to share the story that will nock your stinkin', fish blood soaked socks off.

Let's start at the beginning on the first day of this fiasco. Monday June 14, 2010. Started the day at 11:00 am with a newby by my side hoping to get him off of his calico craze and onto some real fish. Found some interesting marks on the bottom, dropped onto it and I knew it, the candy is here. At this point I am shaking I'm so stoked I made that first candy and after a half hour I loaded up on the best bait around and started looking for the "right kind". After setting up with fresh baits we find a good sized egg bed and set up our first drift. 15 min later first bite and yanks the squirt right off. Second drop 15 min and finally a decent hook up. I could definitely tell it was a ghost, and it was hauling ass. Fought it one handed trying to get my bait stick outta the water with the other hand and bring up this 49 lb ghost up in about 2 min no gaff necessary. Newby was stoked and I slip the brute into the hold. It was slow the rest of the day.

End of day 1

Day 2 Tuesday June 15, 2010
I am running solo this day and I all by myself at 12 noon no one in sight. Check one on the list to success. Make the best bait in the ocean and a lot of it and I am off and pedaling. Check number two off the list. Within 10 min first fish slams the money rig set into it good fought for about 3 min and it was over. No gaff shot necessary running about 42 lbs ok decent fish, but I knew better. Release!!!! Bye bye and down she goes. 1:00 pm here comes the calvary a.k.a the crew. Josh, Chris, Jerry, Yani, Wade, Leo, and Eric Easy E "the usuals". Josh and I are working the Lowrances hard and here it FUCKING COMES OH MY GOD! It was the fattest marks I have ever seen and no just big but thick. Like as in 50 feet thick. Wow, first drops and bam I swear 5 seconds and it was on and not just me every rod in the water was bent double holy shit I have never seen such a C fuck hahahahaha. 9 rods bent and we are all hooked on the right kind. Anyways 6 fish landed, my second and another release. Ok start looking again and for 5 hours this pops up again and again. It was so ridiculous that me and Josh had our selfs a bet of who could bring up a whity up on the Ulua first. Alright, so we get ready, get out the stop watch find fish, drop down, set the hook I'm on, start the clock, stops at 3 min. "Alright, Josh your turn!", drops down, hook set, start the clock, 3 min. So I see his fish and it was definitely bigger so I gave it to him bye bye $20 damn. Here's my long losing fish and another released fish.

And here's one of Leo's fish and Josh's monster bass hahaha

Alright so final count for yours truly 9 whities total 1 black seabass. 8 whities released and one toad kept definitely big fish honors for the day 52.25# weighed on beach.

End Day 2

After a great day how can one sleep at night the ghosts were swimming in and out of my brain. Day 3 June 16, 2010 increase in white seabass limit to three per person. Just when you think it couldn't get any better the crew comes out again and it was the same story much slammage and a Josh I have never seen or heard before. He was worse than a 13 year old with his first playboy, just laughing and smiling with a bent rod hahahaha. In the first hour of fishing I landed 7 whities, landing 3 in 5-7 minutes. A crazy start to a fantastic day. Started to slow down and after 3 hours i was right back to where I was again same as day 2. 9 fish, all released and I set a goal of getting a double digit count. At 6:30 I set out searching outside the flotilla of yaks and find them. Drop down, pop one off, tie on another magic rig drop down and bam I'm on, last fish of the day take him home, no gaff necessary and go home with the knowledge that I did the near impossible. 10 white seabass ended with a 45# freshy and 9 released.

Crazy week went out Friday got 1 more to end the week. Has been slow lately with an added touch of high surf. In the last two weeks i have landed a total of 33 whities and only kept those three pictured don't need to keep to much seabass these creatures are so beautiful and I want to prove those enviros (MMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG) wrong, about the recreational fishing community we fish for the thrill of the hunt and the feed our family the tastiest damn fish in the ocean, not exterminate. MLPA is stupid. See you guys out there and let the yellow frenzy begin haha if you were out there on that bite post those pics below and I'll see you all out on the water.

Last edited by The Kid; 06-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
deepdvr

That sure was fun. My favorite is when you hooked into that BSB and you disappeared. I asked Josh what happened to you and he pointed out on the horizon. You probably could have had another 2 or 3 whites if moby dick didn't take you into the next zip code.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
j mo

Nice report! That was an amazing day(s).... "The Kid" here is a true gent and an amazing angler not to mention he has the patience of a saint, he'll pass out candy, let you fish right on top of him and even fix your bait tank for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
and a Josh I have never seen or heard before. He was worse than a 13 year old with his first playboy, just laughing and smiling with a bent rod
Classic, you nailed it (me). I still get stoked over playboys! That school was so thick it even lit up my crappy FF, and when I saw it, well, I lost it sprouted some wood and started to giggle like a school boy.

Congrats on breaking "9" AMAZING!

PS- I dont see any of the pics?

Last edited by j mo; 06-28-2010 at 06:19 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
toby

Great job!!! You are the maaaaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!!!
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
yani

Kevin,

You and Josh just blew me away. Those days
blew me away. Insane fishing is an understatement.

I kept telling my fishing buddies about what was
going on, but no one believed me, till now...

See you on the water!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Awesome !
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Billy V

Way to go Kevin -

Lots of goals, and personal bests were achieved during those few days last week.
-It was almost too good to be true - possibly the best fishing ever.

I kept looking toward the sky waiting for a lightning bolt to come down and kill me. Like the Priest in Caddy Shack
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
lterrero
Leo

Kevin, what happen with the pics that I send you of that wonderful!!! day.
I don't see them?
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

Without pics!!!!

double digit cbass release #'s, squid in july.....HA...

who do you think you're kidding, the gov. is going to close that place down because the fish are almost extinct!!

ohh, i bet next you're going to say "there's still huge schools of 30-40lb YT's right outside the reserve".......

cool story and congrats on the alleged releases...
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Hypoxic1

Dont see how it could have gotten any better

A few great guys out on the water sharing the most exciting couple of days I have had since I began to kayak. Great fishing with you, Kevin. See you on the water!!
Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
sdfisher

insane!
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

hold on guys im getting photos up
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
hold on guys im getting photos up
:nailbiter:
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
Oolie
Headshots Only

AMAZING PICS!
wish i was there!
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
Chuck D

Amazing to watch what went down! It was a epic day. Hope your hands are all healed up Kevin. Props bro.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
THE DARKHORSE

I'm sorry folks, The Kid must have forgot the first rule of Fight Club. Ya' know, the one that says you don't talk about Fight Club?
There's no fish in La Jolla!
Move along, nothing here to see .
Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
deepdvr

Quote:

End Day 2
I like how Josh P is doing the swim move towards the camera to make his little guy look bigger.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
bellcon

Epicus
Maximus
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
aftahour

what a great day.
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #20
frugalfisher

Kick Ass!

Congratulations Kevin! 10 in a day is INSANE !!