Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt, 3-9-17

Landwhale, Harry Hill, and I met at the launch at 7am and were on the water by about 7:30. Headed straight for the Pipe. Wind wasn't bad, clear skies, and temp was just right. Water ranged from 56.5-60.3º depending on the area and time. Also, it was much cleaner overall compared to last week.

I fished the Warblade (3/4oz Sexy Dine) and a 1/2oz Coolbaits' underspin (Houdini Paddlerz for trailer) most of the day and didn't do so well (2 small bass and a pig sculpin), Steve fished the underspin and did well. Not sure what Harry used, and unfortunately he had to leave early due to a head ache. I finished with a 5.5" Big Hammer in Xmas Tree and got 2 bass with it. We worked from about 48' in to 38'. Off the water about 11:15.

Wind was weird, light offshore which died early, about 8, and almost immediately switched onshore. It got pretty sloppy and wet by 9:30 or so. Usually we get an hour or so with no wind and it's almost always from 9-10am. Anyways, I had fun with friends and caught a few, so a great day in my book.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Ed, I was fishing a half ounce jig head with a Berkley Shrimp for the fish I got. A couple of nice calicos and a couple of small ones. I should have made bait on the way out as I couldn't find it outside the bay and it was showing heavy on my fish finder inside the bay. I met a guy on the way in and he showed me where he gets halibut inside the bay. I hate the traffic getting there though. The company was great and the fishing good but I sure hate that ride.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Harry Hill

I forgot to mention that besides that headache I manage to catch myself with a sabiki hook, in the forearm past the barb. I couldn't get at it good as I could only use one hand and I couldn't remember the trick of using the fishing line to get it, pushing it through wasn't working so I just grabbed the hook with the needle nose pliers and yanked it back out, that made me sweat a little, by those little buggers are sharp.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Sabikis are evil.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
JLargo
Largo

3-10 DP

Hit the water about 7:30 due to horrible traffic. The usual bait spots were not producing. So went and fished the pipe the calicos were pretty thick all along the pipe from 35-40 ft deep. 5.5" Big Hammer got hit consistently. Off the water at 12:30 oh and a whale cruised by which was pretty awesome
JLargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
cris

DP 3-10-2017

Got on the water at 4pm for a couple of hours during the rising tide. Plenty of sea life around at the end of the jetty. Dolphins, mini macks and other small baitfish breaking the surface. Beautiful sunset too
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
Vikingj

Thanks for report. A buddy and I went south to capo reefs on Thursday and got 3 bass each 16-17" and a couple smaller. Out for only three hours so we just trolled a rapala and got some exercise. Big ones ought to be biting this weekend. Go get them!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
shrkb8t
Junior

New Member here, i also went out 3-10 around 9:30am slept in, traffic was a nightmare coming from the ie.
I was on the orange outback fishing south out of the harbor, seen you guys fishing in the deeper water. tried sardines in 10' of water down the shore, got a few bites. went in around 1pm. where did you guys launch from?
shrkb8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
JLargo
Largo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrkb8t View Post
New Member here, i also went out 3-10 around 9:30am slept in, traffic was a nightmare coming from the ie.
I was on the orange outback fishing south out of the harbor, seen you guys fishing in the deeper water. tried sardines in 10' of water down the shore, got a few bites. went in around 1pm. where did you guys launch from?
Launched from Baby Beach. Saw you when I went in close in the Sand PA14. Traffic was a nightmare over 2 hours
JLargo is offline   Reply With Quote