Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Newps Bassin' & Sheepin'

Its been a little while since I've taken The Banana out, so I decided she was due for some time out on the water. Last time I was out was in April when I was still going for rockfish. So today (7/15) I decided to do some messing around in the kelp going for bass and sheephead. I first stopped off at the bait barge to get warmed up, caught a couple small bass and herring there then I made my way to the kelp. When I first got out there, it was relatively flat with a breeze and the Bonito were boiling everywhere, caught one to keep as shark bait for a later trip. Anyways I got out to the kelp and it was relatively calm and I didn't see much life until I saw a bass boil, so I chucked my Gulp Jerk Shad right where it was and Hook Up! within seconds of hitting the water.

Here was the first bass in the kelp for the day.

I tossed the lure around for a couple more small bass, then I saw I pretty big boil which I then preceded to toss my lure towards it and Hook Up! again, this one was actually legal.

Here's the money shot of the big one.

After getting my fill on bass fishing, I went to the outer kelp to find some holes between the kelp stringers where I caught a couple small sheepies with some kelp fish. I got slammed by a big one but I failed to connect. The bait of choice was shrimp bought from an Asian Marketplace.

One Sheep

Two Sheep

Then I got a bit windy and choppy, so I headed in to end the day finishing up with some bass fishing at the barge. I had some good spotty fishing when I got in. They were devouring my plastics.

Here's a nice spotty to end the day.

Overall, it was a pretty good day to get back out on the yak. Now its time to jump on the boat and get some tuna, they're going off right now.

By the way, all fish were released except for the bonito.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
spottie_slayer

Noice!!
spottie_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
blitzburgh

Good stuff Matt You eat any of that Thresher yet?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Good stuff Matt You eat any of that Thresher yet?
Oh ya! The thresher was delicious. I actually had it the night of when I caught it, probably one of the best tasting fish I've had. I gave quite a bit of it away to friends and co-workers too. Its funny, my family keeps asking me when I'll get another one, they all loved it.