Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #21
cioppino

Nice work Josh. Maybe you should consider going barbless!

Its an amazing feeling being alone out there with fish boiling all around you. La Jolla truly is the JEWEL.
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #22
yaky yak

Josh you truly are my idol. Your C&R of trophy fish is an inspiration to me. I drive a long way to fish La Jolla and It has often payed off well for me over the last 4 years. I don't even eat fish, and tell my self from now on I'll practice C&R On yellow tail(unless its huge!) I read where a yellow tail put on a pound a year, thinking about these beautiful fish being as old as my kids gives me a lot of respect for them. I know it the heat of the min. its easy to land that gaff shot, I am a stone killer with the fish at yak side, but feel much regret with it dying on my deck. Paddling in with that T-shark on my deck made me feel like a heal to say the lest. Karma is a fact of life. lot of people want to know your secret for catching all those fish, I'm letting the cat out of the bag. Karma. C&R what you don't need, and it'll come back to you. Thanks for the inspiration.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #23
dmrides

I read this article yesterday and after thinking about it for 24 hours, I have come up with this...

Josh needs to be the director of the DFG, at least in Southern California. Think about it, he is on the water all the time and he knows and understands what it takes to reach a maintain a healthy ocean. He practices and shares the best fishing techniques for the health of our oceans. Seriously who needs the BRTF "science" when you have Josh out there monitoring what is going on?

DFG, I hope you are listening. If you want to protect places like La Jolla, have Josh, Paul, Tyler, Billy, etc... make a plan and the rest of us can be wardens. Talk about stewards of the ocean.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #24
JPSURF

Another Great write up Josh!!!

You da Man!!

JP
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #25
NextBite

great stuff
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #26
yani

But at that, he bellowed out to lord Poseidon,
thrusting his arms to the starry skies, and prayed,
"Hear me Poseidon, god of the sea who rocks the
earth! Am I really your son?"

I believe you are. Thanks for being a great teacher.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #27
nabeeko

Great write up.
Hope to fish with you soon.

Thanks for everything you taught me last year, sensei.
This year, I'll put it to good use.
nabeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #28
-scallywag-
Banned

Angry Guy in the skiff ??? you mean the guy that runs over your trolling lines then yells out "say something!!!" and starts dropping a sabiki, only to buzz off minutes later to do donuts around the only other yakers out laugh'in about tip'in um over....i love that guy!!! Good thing he didn't hear about "the bite".

I was pretty happy with crowd on this bite....more yaks than boats...lotsa laughs and more importantly lots of purposely released fish thanks to your videos and reports.

In the past fishing "the bite" has always been pretty UN-fulfilling...go here, drop this, reel in this, repeat...just like the other hundred people. Next time show up without a gaff, get that 30+lb fish yakside, gently slide ur fingers behind the gill plate and hoist that sucker on your lap, pat it on the tail and then toss it back while everyone else looks at you like .

I too harvested a big YT that day, but that memory has long since been overshadowed by the look on those yellows faces when I gently placed them back in the water and gave them a little push...they simply looked up at me, mouth still open in dis-belief while giving a little half hearted tail kick, obviously still expecting to be attached to something, followed by a closed mouth look of determination and a quick burst of speed. Thanks for sharing so much more than just "big fish pics" with us.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #29
Sherm

Seeing your post Josh makes me realize I need to get out there with you again and learn some more. Great write up.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #30
JoeBeck

Great writeup Josh very enjoyable to read. I was listening to slightly stupid while bombing down a 12,000ft peak this weekend in Sequoia.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #31
Pescavore1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
and more importantly lots of purposely released fish thanks to your videos and reports.
Josh tried very hard to encourage me to experience releasing yellowtail when I hired him last year. The problem was, every yellowtail I caught while fishing with him was my personal best and I just could not get myself to do it. Not a bad problem to have, but I am determined to do it this year.

Great post, Josh. Maybe we'll write the C&R thing into the contract for the new year.

Jay
Pescavore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #32
joyjiggin'

Josh, awesome write up. Words of Wisdom to fish by.
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #33
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
Josh needs to be the director of the DFG, at least in Southern California. Think about it, he is on the water all the time and he knows and understands what it takes to reach a maintain a healthy ocean. He practices and shares the best fishing techniques for the health of our oceans. Seriously who needs the BRTF "science" when you have Josh out there monitoring what is going on?

DFG, I hope you are listening. If you want to protect places like La Jolla, have Josh, Paul, Tyler, Billy, etc... make a plan and the rest of us can be wardens. Talk about stewards of the ocean.
I second that!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #34
h2ofishfo

josh your pictures are doctored your writing sucks. u lie about how much you catch,you are exploiting la jolla, you are uncourteous & you never post your skunk days . sorry to much ball washing you are da man though !!!!!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #35
wade

Respect La Jolla.

P.S. - What is the best way to Revive & Release a 40#+ Sea Bass after she comes up belly tired?
This is my next plan...

Last edited by wade; 01-12-2010 at 01:28 PM.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #36
-scallywag-
Banned

Given resent events I thought this was good for a re-read....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #37
FishinReelDeals

Very awesome!!!!
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #38
GBF

Thanks for the story Josh............great reading!!

GBF
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
carbonbass

just read this, your love of the ocean and prowess for this sport is incredibly inspiring, you love this to a point where it could be your job, and i hope it is, i dont want to be MJ when i grow up.... i want to be darkhorse...
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote