Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2015, 05:49 AM   #21
Chuck D

My plan is to head out this Thr. with the IA offshore to see what I can see. I will be getting t0 LJ at 5, set up, try to make bait on the way out, then troll most the day out there to see what happens. Anyone else is welcome to join, I will have a sail so that means I may take off for bits on my own because I will be moving faster then most, but the more the merrier. Let me know if anyone wants to join, could be EPIC!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #22
dmrides

When I get back in town, I'd be happy to be a shadow boat in my skiff.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #23
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Sound like a good I deal with the skiff shadowing they yaks...I'm down either way just let me know when this is going to take place...I can bring plenty of ballist point !
sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #24
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
My plan is to head out this Thr. with the IA offshore to see what I can see. I will be getting t0 LJ at 5, set up, try to make bait on the way out, then troll most the day out there to see what happens. Anyone else is welcome to join, I will have a sail so that means I may take off for bits on my own because I will be moving faster then most, but the more the merrier. Let me know if anyone wants to join, could be EPIC!
I am eyeballing a used AI for this reason. Would love the tandam island but there so much more $ hard to justify another yak when I have a tricked out PA
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #25
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

This is a great idea. I'm in.

I think we can get a bigger armada together if we plan for a Saturday or Sunday.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #26
Zed
BANNED

If youre looking for more people and more boats you should definitely charter a boat on the weekend w 75 of your closest then.

Since this is a discussion Im curious how you all see this going down. A dozen more or less strangers of varying abilities paddling/pedaling in a broken line to an unknown point on a map? A dozen guys racing to a birdschool and chucking iron at each other? Fanning out on 12differnent headings and keeping coms by radio? F it we're catchin tuna? Whats the plan?

One thing that I think got missed is awareness. Im not trying to be an arrogant internet prick. Im trying to share some experience. Just be aware. Log every single boat n bearing you see for 360deg into your mental radar and track them all conatantly. They all will be changing courses and speed chasing the same things you are and there are some idiots. Take commuting. You see some stupid shit on roads. Theres no lanes to follow out there and stupidity has no bounds. Keep your heads up and come up w a plan for the day and plan for when shit goes bad.

Ita a long summer. Lots of chances ahead.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #27
Iceman
Administrator

Be prepared Check!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
Zed
BANNED

Good man. This forum needs more TP. Anyone have a Charmin contact? Ive seen some boats that need a few more sponsor decals.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #29
PapaDave

I am in the process of getting a 20ft boat, if things go according to plan, I wouldn't mind towing a couple of guys out there. Would need someone to man the boat while I was in the kayak though...

I don't have any Charmin contacts but I have a Sam's Club card... I buy in bulk.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #30
Fishin Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'm surprised that no one has chimed in on your reply to say what a bad idea this is
I don't think this is a bad idea to pull the kayaks out with a boat.
Here are some of the benefits. You get out to the fishing grounds in a much shorter time compared to paddling. You also have just saved your energy for more fishing and less paddling. So, how is fishing more and paddling less a bad idea?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #31
Iceman
Administrator

Dana Point seems to be the logical choice for BLUE water closest to the coast, also holding some of the warmest water.........but these fish have not been very logical in where they have been popping up, we shall see.

composite Chloro chart

Old 06-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #32
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Phil View Post
I don't think this is a bad idea to pull the kayaks out with a boat.
Here are some of the benefits. You get out to the fishing grounds in a much shorter time compared to paddling. You also have just saved your energy for more fishing and less paddling. So, how is fishing more and paddling less a bad idea?
I'll bite- RESPECT, HONOR and BRAGGING RIGHTS.
While it would be awesome to get a bft / yft regardless the vessel in so cal...it is truly more sporting and a helluva challenge to paddle out catch a tuna and paddle back to the beach.
I do not know anyone who has done this yet?? Anyone who does this is MY hero! Mucho respect for the guys trying.

If your going to take a boat out...mind as well just fish from it.
Take your kayak with you...its just another boat report with a kayak.

btw- I like your signature Phil!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #33
Caseym

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
I'll bite- RESPECT, HONOR and BRAGGING RIGHTS.
While it would be awesome to get a bft / yft regardless the vessel in so cal...it is truly more sporting and a helluva challenge to paddle out catch a tuna and paddle back to the beach.
I do not know anyone who has done this yet?? Anyone who does this is MY hero! Mucho respect for the guys trying.

If your going to take a boat out...mind as well just fish from it.
Take your kayak with you...its just another boat report with a kayak.

btw- I like your signature Phil!
Cabojohn,
I couldnt agree more. In a world full of shortcuts, its refreshing to retest the man inside us and see if we have the stones to go big. Sure its gnarly, probably a little crazy and has a high probability of failure, but so does everything awesome that anyone has ever done. History books and magazines dont exist because guys "hung in the harbor." People tried and people failed, but ultimately what was once 'impossible' became the norm. In a world of Online Dating, Siri guided directions, ADT protected homes, In-Car sensors for oil changes and low tires, Bumpers in bowling alleys, Everyone's a winner sports, Rules of Engagement during 'war', 25 airbags in ea. car, Electric start Lawnmowers, Baby Wipes for men, Electric bicycles, battery powered tooth brushes.....it's nice to go against the grain and do things the hard way. Just because its F@&$ing HARDER.
So heres to Home Brewing, single speed mountain bikes, earning the holes in your trucker cap, changing your own oil, hanging an American Flag all the time, telling people to 'Pick up their trash' even if it gets you punched, using old milk jugs to freeze water for your ice, canvas coleman tents, smoking fish in the side yard even if your neighbor is anti, going a little farther, failing, failing, failing before succeeding and Launching from land in a kayak to go earn your own fish....even if you fail!
My 2 cents
-Mazer
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #34
Gr8fuldude

I find these last two posts compelling. Maybe it's a little like backpacking into highcountry vs taking your four wheel rig and car camping.

Nothing wrong with car camping, as I like to do that, too. But backpacking into the high country has its own unique rewards.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #35
Dannowar

Late notice but a friend and I are gonna check out a spot half as far offshore that may have had bft on it supposedly. Leaving early tomorrow morning
Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #36
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Baby Wipes for men,
Oh no he didnt.
Cabo he just dissed your trail money! And he was agreeing so nicely too.
Ive known Cabo for a long time and he wont tolerate dissin baby wipes. lol
Old 06-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #37
SoCalCJ

Wish I still had the bigger boat to help out! I did learn the hard way that Hobie PA's don't tow worth a sh*t. Ended up having to strap them down for the ride over to Cat! If your going offshore in a PA, I would not count on being able to tow it at any sort of speed where you'll actually get somewhere in decent amount of time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.4 KB, 174 views)
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #38
radastaff

if a sat is planned
I might be down
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #39
DanaPT

One thing that I think got missed is awareness. Im not trying to be an arrogant internet prick. Im trying to share some experience. Just be aware. Log every single boat n bearing you see for 360deg into your mental radar and track them all conatantly. They all will be changing courses and speed chasing the same things you are and there are some idiots. Take commuting. You see some stupid shit on roads. Theres no lanes to follow out there and stupidity has no bounds. Keep your heads up and come up w a plan for the day and plan for when shit goes bad.

this ^^^^^ is very true. for DP being a small harbor it draws a lot of traffic. In the fog with low visibility ... may not be the safest. Rough winded seas with boat wake caused by the "stupidity" of a boater can be sketchy.

I think 2 or more (buddy system) and radios are a must.

Today looked like a great morning to be on the water. Perfect clearing skies and smooth seas. Good luck gents.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #40
Dannowar

Absolutely. Friday looks good condition wise.