Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #21
ful-rac
Emperor

Even though Liquidpel waterproofs your phone they don't recomend that you expose your phone to water, although it should survive, water still enters the phone and it goes throughout, and that just cant be good. Saltwater cant be good in a phone either.....That just doesnt seem right
Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
fishingfiend

After ruining a digital camera over the weekend, I went to BestBuy and got a lifeproof case to prevent the same doom for my iPhone. Used it at the Vine yesterday and worked like a champ! Thanks for the informative thread!

Would you guys please post pics of how you get your phone to float with the lifeproof case?
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

[QUOTE=fishingfiend;112451]After ruining a digital camera over the weekend, I went to BestBuy and got a lifeproof case to prevent the same doom for my iPhone. Used it at the Vine yesterday and worked like a champ! Thanks for the informative thread!

Would you guys please post pics of how you get your phone to float with the lifeproof case?[/QUOTE

As far as I know, the float is not yet available. I will check with the company and post a follow up. My phone has been in this case for nearly a year and has been under water several times. It is still ticking.

Heading to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. The plan is to take the phone snorkeling and take some pictures. If I get anything interesting, I will post a photo or two.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #24
kareem korn

I got one last weekend. I had it in my swimsuit pocket while surf fishing.
The two things I don't like are
1) if you want to use your headphones or plug you have to unscrew a o-ringed plug. It's easy to lose. Also the opening is not big enough to plug into without using their 2" tether, that will also get lost.
2) I've only found one charger that fits thru the case and into the phone and that's the one from apple that came with the phone. Now all my chargers are usless. They don't recommend taking it in and out of the case as that will distort the shape or damage the seal.

Other than that so far so good.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #25
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I'm liking mine -

Stopped in at the Fred Hall show and saw the new armband they're coming out with, similar to the belt clip but with an armband. Looked good and quite user friendly.

Also saw the waterproof headphone jack/adapter - they said that the one supplied is waterproof already so I'm not sure why they have another. I already have some H20 audio waterproof headphones for use with wet areas - supposed to be able to use it in the surf and or for fishing or such,

I just want to have the case as and additional safeguard to splashproof.

I just picked up a marine radio so I may be leaving my cell in the car - - - but it is nice to have on the water to check in on things after I've been away for several hours.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
I got one last weekend. I had it in my swimsuit pocket while surf fishing.
The two things I don't like are
1) if you want to use your headphones or plug you have to unscrew a o-ringed plug. It's easy to lose. Also the opening is not big enough to plug into without using their 2" tether, that will also get lost.
2) I've only found one charger that fits thru the case and into the phone and that's the one from apple that came with the phone. Now all my chargers are usless. They don't recommend taking it in and out of the case as that will distort the shape or damage the seal.

Other than that so far so good.

They do make a dock extender, I know its a pita but it works.....
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #27
fishingfiend

I'm also bummed my car charger and a couple of docks don't fit anymore. I switched back to my thin case so I can still use my car charger until I find a solution. Thanks for the port extender option, but I would need to carry that around. I can see myself losing that $20 adapter in less than a week.

At cellphoneshop.com the USB car charger is $5.99 and for an extra $3.99 add a coiled USB cord. I'm leaning towards a more fixed solution.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I spoke to the folks at LifeProof the other day and learned that the float is due out this month or next. The iPad case is due by early summer. Best Buy is still their only retail outlet but you can always order from the company web site.

As for the charging cable, this is a significant issue. The new, shorter plugs that come with iPhone 4 and later work great. The longer plugs that were made earlier and may come with some of the aftermarket cables will not work. If you want to use this case, you should make sure that you have a cable with the small plug.

Bob
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
Gigafish

Came across sealine waterproof I series phone or iPad cases. Each retails for $35.00. Hope this helps.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
Papa drew
Junior

I have a lifeproof case. Workers great. At one of my kids swimming classes I walked over to the edge of the pool turned on the video and tossed my phone in the pool. All the adults that were watching stood up like did that guy just toss his iPhone in the pool. The kids then took turns diving for it. Was good times to see all the kids having fun and all the adults with a look of holy crap on their faces.
I would buy the case again it is worth the money hands down.

Papa drew
Papa drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
PAL

I surf tested a Lifeproof a couple months back. Did great! Mediocre video ahead:

http://youtu.be/lmKRxabo-dg
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

What a great pool party event. Turn on the video and toss your phone in the pool for all to play with. Kind of like those disposable cameras that get left on the tables at weddings these days. I love it. After a few margaritas, who knows what will be on the video.

This just in. I heard from the CEO of LifeProof today. They have launched the new LifeJacket, floating lanyard. It can be seen on their web site now, (look under mounts). They say that it will be be shipping by the end of the month. They have also announced some new colors for the LifeProof case. The case for the iPad is due out next month.

The pending iPad case may not have many kayak applications but as an avid sailor I see a big change on the horizon. I use navigation apps such as Navionics and EarthNC on my tablet and iPhone instead of an expensive GPS system while out on the boat. The problem is that my tablet is not very comfortable in the nautical environment so I have to keep the device down below. This is fine most of the time but if I need to know the depth of a channel while navigating an unfamiliar area, someone has to go below to check the display on the tablet. Once the waterproof iPad case is available from this company, my tablet can join me on deck and be infinitely more useful. I can see how the combination of an iPad and a waterproof case will allow many small boat owners to suddenly have access to an inexpensive charting plotter simply by purchasing a $15 app for the iPad they already own.

It is truly amazing how technology can change our lives in the blink of an eye.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 06-16-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Sweet man, I bought this case because of the review here. Can't wait for the lanyard.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #34
Gigafish

Lol Never actually read the review as it is a bit long. The surf test is real time. Felt like I was going through this surf while watching the vid. I'm sold.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #35
angelicalee8
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fermanis View Post
I have been staying on Maui and purchased the Lifeproof waterproof case to protect my iPhone while on the water. the case has worked perfectly. I adapted a flotation devise to keep the phone from sinking. I have been able to take good underwater video from the kayak of whales. again the Lifeproff case has worked fine. I have even been able to record whale songs with the iPhone video while holding it underwater.
just one more positive endorsement of the Lifeproof waterproof case.
After a year of keeping my phone in a ziplock bag when I go out on my kayak, I have finally sprung for a Lifeproof case after seeing reviews on this forum. It has been working very well for me, and I am very happy with it. I have attached a buoy so it is more bouyant, as I have fear of the phone sinking. Great case, I would recommend it.
angelicalee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #36
MarisAnder
Junior

Re: Waterproof iPhone Case Review

If you just see the picture for the cover by itself, you may find yourself wondering what the heck the metal loop on the back is for. Once you ... apple iphone screen protectors

MarisAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #37
nesv-ande
Junior

Hello there!! can anyone suggest me where I can found the free coupon code for getting the iPhone 4S skin cover online. I searches for it but not able to get. I want some good looking iPhone 4S skin cover to give my device a new look. Thanks
nesv-ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #38
bigbarrels

I have a Life Proof case and I think it kicks ass.......that is my review
Old 09-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #39
jorluivil

I plan on getting an Iphone in December, can't wait!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #40
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
I have a Life Proof case and I think it kicks ass.......that is my review

i concur

i bought mine on amazon for 50 bucks

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote