Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #21
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Super cool!

Here are some more videos
stability test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYcBSvsgg4U

Through minor lj-esque 'surf':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD9x5WGUpo4

This is another company Hayaari Marine that makes a similar boat - pretty cool too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbMSfUmoW2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA5mhRhnvIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pEGUtvdw0
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #22
farreola

There are tons of videos on YouTube. There are is one where it is going through white caps, another through surf and a nice DYI dolly.
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #23
sandico

Yes we are going to be rigging up the Solo Skiff we have and bringing it to the shows. This is a unique kayak and has limitless rigging options. Unfortunately we will not be able to do any demo's until after the shows. Currently we are taking orders and they will be available in both OEX locations and come in 3 colors. Check it out here as well!

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-skiff/id/288/

Kerry
OEX Mission Bay
sandico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #24
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by farreola View Post
There are tons of videos on YouTube. There are is one where it is going through white caps, another through surf and a nice DYI dolly.
Buy one Frank! Or better yet 2, so I can borrow one I can see us rolling to the islands.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 02-15-2017 at 01:01 PM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
Baja_Traveler

Exactly - this!!

When I get mine I want Bob to get busy with his drone!

For all those who are serious about getting one, there is a great Solo Skiff Owners Group on Facebook. Lots of good info on motor recommendations, rigging and general use. I had read early reviews stating that the 3.5 HP Tohatsu is adequate and the way to go, but this group has convinced me that for a lard butt like me a 5 or even a 6 is the way to go.

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 02-15-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #26
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
So who is going to be the FIRST to do a Greg Andrews roll in one of these at Leo? SDROB, that thing should outrun a GW so you would be good to go.

I found a Gregor 14 with almost new 20 Honda ready for Baja, Should be there in April. Thanks guys.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #27
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
So who is going to be the FIRST to do a Greg Andrews roll in one of these at Leo? SDROB, that thing should outrun a GW so you would be good to go.

I found a Gregor 14 with almost new 20 Honda ready for Baja, Should be there in April. Thanks guys.
If you're going to use an outboard you might as well go with that...
Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 AM   #28
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
If you're going to use an outboard you might as well go with that...
I went that way because of reliability, 20 hp 4 strokes just work and sip fuel. The smaller outboards seem to have more maintence and running problems including idle and fouled carbs. Only my opinion. TightLines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #29
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
I went that way because of reliability, 20 hp 4 strokes just work and sip fuel. The smaller outboards seem to have more maintence and running problems including idle and fouled carbs. Only my opinion. TightLines.
Yep - in all my research on these little outboards - you'd better shut the valve and run the carb bowl dry after the end of the day, or suffer the consequences. Most likely because of the tiny jets on the carbs of these small engines are so easy to varnish up. Also recommended to add a marine fuel stabilizer.
Take care to do that, and they are extremely reliable and fuel efficient.

Also - I'm not about to be dragging an outboard out of the truck routinely that weighs over a hundred pounds. My goal is to go trailerless, simply because trailers are not allowed in the Sentri lane.

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 02-16-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #30
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Yep - in all my research on these little outboards - you'd better shut the valve and run the carb bowl dry after the end of the day, or suffer the consequences. Most likely because of the tiny jets on the carbs of these small engines are so easy to varnish up. Also recommended to add a marine fuel stabilizer.
Take care to do that, and they are extremely reliable and fuel efficient.

Also - I'm not about to be dragging an outboard out of the truck routinely that weighs over a hundred pounds. My goal is to go trailerless, simply because trailers are not allowed in the Sentri lane.
So Kai, are you going to leave the small outboard attatched to the yak transom or REMOVE it for transport, I do like the idea. Really increases the exploration range. All the bigger Roosters WERE caught at the island.

Question to OEX.............Transducer Mounting options?????????

Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #31
Baja_Traveler

That all depends - if I go the route where I load it in the bed of the truck with a hitch extender, I'll leave it in place. If I decide to go up on the racks with one of those pivot loaders, the outboard will go in the bed of the truck. I'm still debating back and forth on it, but tending towards up on the rack.
I just feel its safer for the boat, not hanging out there for someone to run into, and you know how when you pass through the Sentri booth you have to go through those super tight turns that prevent gate crashing? Reducing overall truck length is an advantage - heck, I feel like I can barely make those turns as it is.

The transducer question has also crossed my mind. I thought it would be awesome for them to include a "Lowrance Ready" option like Hobie has. But that would involve them building a new roto mold - not an inexpensive undertaking. I see that people have mounted fishfinders with the cabling passing through a watertight fitting in the forward bulkhead, but I don't see detail on the actual transducer mount. Since these boats are first rotomolded just like our kayaks, and then given a second pass with a foaming compound (creating an 1 1/2" hull) I'm not sure how well a transducer would "shoot through" that thick of material. Further research will be needed.
The cool thing is - all the expensive accessories I bought for the PA14 can simply be swapped over to the Solo, all I would have to duplicate are the transducer and rod holder mounts.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #32
Baja_Traveler

Here's the problem with researching the crap out of something - it costs me money. This is the first accessory I have to order, and it will be the bomb for the PA14 also for getting over sand and cobble, way nicer than the Hobie cart and it folds up into a super compact package for transporting (But costs twice as much also).

Dynamic Dolly
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #33
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Here's the problem with researching the crap out of something - it costs me money. This is the first accessory I have to order, and it will be the bomb for the PA14 also for getting over sand and cobble, way nicer than the Hobie cart and it folds up into a super compact package for transporting (But costs twice as much also).

Dynamic Dolly
BT, contact EOD he has a PA 14 on this cart. Get his oppinion he used it at my place.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #34
GoGoGoJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I would get a kaboat before that. Similar capabilities and capacity, but you can roll up a kaboat.

Any reason this thing would be superior?

Perhaps a bit less munch-able than a Kaboat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoGoGoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #35
makobob
Baitless on Baja

GREAT idea, two things do seem to stick out in my limited mind. First being a skiff it has to be registered in California and second, I doubt they will be allowed to fish most kayak tourneys with the motors attatched. A big plus point should be that they ARE NOT sit on tops so lake use should be assured. As for BAJA use they would be AWESOME.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #36
Baja_Traveler

Definitely need registration - thats a requirement for every state being outboard powered, but where I couldn't bring myself to putting CF numbers on my PA, this would be no problem.

No kayak tournaments for this boat obviously, but thats what the PA is for. The Hobie is not going anywhere, this is just supplementing it.

Went down to OEX today to look at the boat going to the shows, and brought tape measure and paper. Took a bunch of measurements for planning purposes, Got it figured out how it will be stored in tandem with the PA. Figured out that if I loaded it in the bed of the truck, it would stick out only 4 1/2 feet past the tailgate. Most likely how I will be transporting it locally.
Figured out how to load the thing, both in the bed of the truck, and on the roof racks without having to do any heavy lifting, thus saving my back, as I'm not getting any younger. (this one I'll be building and proving out using the PA as a test case, and use it for that also).
Looking forward to fishing off it for sure. Figured out that with a 3 gallon tank I could fish from Bob's place all the way to Gonzaga Bay and back no problem.