Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-30-2020, 01:07 AM   #1
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Dana Point, The Strand Targeting Sheephead

Last Saturday, 10/24 Anthony and I headed north to the Strand looking for Sheephead.
It was high tide and the kelp was submerged several feet below the surface, and It took a while to find a productive piece of kelp. It was work having to peddle in place all day but it was well worth it. I never left that piece of kelp.

I ended the day with 4 Sheephead up to 18” and a 15” Calico.

You guys could fast forward the video to 1:30 to see the 1st Sheep of the day and to 2:07 the see the big one. There’s also another chunky one at 4:51.

If you guys enjoy watching these fishing videos please consider subscribing to my channel and hitting the notification bell 😃

Hope you like the video!

https://youtu.be/9gZTsn3JxDM
Attached Images

Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

I too fish the goats a lot. Best anchor is a heavy duty chain from home depot 7' long, tie your rope around 5'. This will hold your yak very easily and even 2 yaks. I lost 2 traditional small anchors when you cant pull them up. The chain comes up easily through the kelp. Love catching those goats!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
jpp9565

Nice batch of fish. I often fish on the rocks behind where you were fishing. Lot of fish there but not like the ones you caught.
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
I too fish the goats a lot. Best anchor is a heavy duty chain from home depot 7' long, tie your rope around 5'. This will hold your yak very easily and even 2 yaks. I lost 2 traditional small anchors when you cant pull them up. The chain comes up easily through the kelp. Love catching those goats!
Hi TS

Yeah, I’m not really up to anchoring because of the swells. I keep thinking of flipping the yak. My friend flipped his twice when he was anchored.

I was thinking of making something to catch the kelp and tying off a float or fender to keep it on the surface and then clipping off to that. Also, I run my line through a quick release just in case.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #5
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp9565 View Post
Nice batch of fish. I often fish on the rocks behind where you were fishing. Lot of fish there but not like the ones you caught.
Thanks jpp9565

The Beach and Rocky area near the cliff can hold lots of good fish. Before I picked up my kayak I used to fish the beach quite frequently. My pb butt off the strand was 6#’s with lots of shorts as well.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
slammah
Junior

ceviche time!
slammah is offline   Reply With Quote