Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
wade

The KeyZ • Volume 2

The KeyZ 2015 / Part One of Three / Volume 2.

MISSION: Catch & Release (1) Snook.

The entire roundtrip in my truck encompassing the United States from San Diego California all the way to The KeyZ in Florida, was all in search of just (One) Snook to catch and release off the brand new 2015 Hobie Pro Angler 12’. Sure many other fish were caught along our journey, but that is not what this story is truly about..
A few days before our departure, we headed over to Nomad Ventures to get all of our last minute gear needs finalized. With their excellent customer service we were taken care of proper & were outfitted to the gills in 2015 Hobie fine style. Have patience like a good fisherman, & I wish all of you could of tasted what the Gulf had to offer up..Bear with some of the sights without the smells, as we sure had our fill of Hog Snapper, Groupers, Yellowtail Snapper, Red Snapper, Florida Lobster, Conch, Gulf Stone Crabs, Gulf Shrimp, Sword, Key Lime Pie galore & much much more..
BIG thanks goes out to all of my 2015 Sponsors for making this adventure even possible! The mission was accomplished fifty fold on the first day, but I’d like to still think I am not a greedy soul, and simply kicking back taking in all the colors,sights,smells & tastes out on the Gulf horizon and truly enjoying life during the holidays well into the new year with friends & fam is a more of a ritual to me personally, than opening up the ol’ lodge and getting all the utilities up and running again..

This years new drop down skeg feature on Hobies 2015 Pro Anglers is truly an amazing new improvement to this model. I have exclusively been fishing out of the Pro Angler 12’ for a wide variety of reason over their other models, even the 14’. I have chosen the PA 12’ as my preferred vessel in almost any terrain, but this new feature really changes things up now in a really good way for me with it. Offshore it performs like a new kayak. It’s the same mold with just the skeg addition, and it feels absolutely amazing.Tracking overall is the understood improvement, but I saw it shine as well in skinny water applications while poling around the flats and keeping me equally inline while sight fishing, or preparing to throw that next cast without even having to readjust my drift/rudder, thus potentially spooking the heard in front of me with even the slightest touch to my hull or controls. You gotta do more than downsize your line class & all terminal selections with gin clear tropical water conditions. With kayak scuppers already in place, essentially my boat is a giant surround sound speaker box, and I am always conscious of my movements. More function & even more stealth.
Thanks, Hobie Cat!

On some dayZ I was content just poling around the flats stealthy watchin' all its various inhabitants shooting in and about eating their lunch in the shallows, while my rod was just a half an arms length away rigged & ready for battle. Taking in all the beauty while intermittently capturing a few frames for prosperity.

Atlantic sunset while coming back to port..

Oyster beds are a choice place to sit & eat your lunch.
That is, if you own a 2015 Hobie Vantage Seat.

Rain dropping in the KeyZ on our third day searchin’..

Gulf Conch Fritters. The BEST in all of Florida hands down.

Grilled Grouper..X100..

Stone Crab trap after the morning drop..

C&R Stone Crab.

Ma’s Fish House was Supreme..

Mo Lime..

Anchored In Keylime..

C&R Crab

Grubbin down @ The Hungry Tarpon Restaurant with some fresh caught Dorado.
Almost all of the local restaurants in the Florida Keys will grill up your own haul for a fraction the menu cost and will also include a few sides..

Stone Crabs front row.
CHR. Catch, Harvest & Release.
Catch Stone Crabs, Harvest A Claw & Release.
Sustainable Wild Seafood.

Gulf Mac-crusted Snapper

When I lived in Miami, my diet consisted almost entirely of these four delectable Cuban staples. Black Beans & Rice. Platanos Maduros & Yucca.

(Additional Dessert / Insert: Guayaba Pastelito photo.)

Wild Peacocks came out to greet me as i exited my truck and showed me their impressive plumage and extremely vibrant colors to capture at fairly close range.

#Nomad.

To complete my fish themed Japanese bodysuit, I am contemplating the addition of a back piece dedicated to the magnificent Osprey in action, after spending some serious quality time with a local feathered family.
(I only wish my eyesight was half as good as theirs..)

Rooted in SW Florida..

Forward all incoming, Postmaster.

Hobie Lowrance Ready transducer is in the water. Accurate readings on my unit / + - 2 degrees.

Gulf kayak paradise. Taking in the free ICW lightshow with a stomach full of Caribbean cuisine..

While I am enjoying a different palette of colorZ, staring out on the exact same sunsets facing due West, you guys are getting ones like this with the entire sky on fire!?!

More goodZ coming..stay tuned..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
C.W.C.
Salt

10X TOUGH!

Don't forget the video after all those miles, Wade!

Watch In HD!

Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
LPetro
Junior

Nomad Ventures

Congradulations getting bruce to hire/sponsor you. I knew you had been hounding him for a while before I left. I used to work for him selling Hobies and climbing gear before I moved to Humboldt. I'm glad to see you found a way too get his fishing team going. Nomad Ventures needs more recognition o this site!! may be when i'm in S.D. we can hit the water for a little nomad fishing shesh.
LPetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
SNOOKered, two casts and no snook? Wade BAJA is still waiting! Glad to see you and Mari back on the water.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
DanaPT

thats good stuff. send more!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
jgoertz
Junior

Great video Wade. That was a culinary adventure. Looking forward to the snook...
jgoertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
kaya_one

Glad to see the post Wade. Nice.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
FISH11

Great pictures and video, Wade. It' like we where there, except we couldn't smell or taste the delicious food. Tight Lines Wade
Old 02-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
PapaDave

Which of the KeyZ were you at?

That area is where I grew up.

Try going for the mutton snapper in the near shore reefs, they will rip your lips off. The mangrove snapper hang out in the, mangroves, where else. Snook do also, and also favor some of the channels. Tarpon - the flats and channels. try out Card Sound Bridge during tarpon season, you will find them by watching for the mullet schools going airborne.

Don't forget to catch some shrimp when they are running and get a snorkel for catching lobster.

There's a lot I miss about that place.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
Deamon

Super stoked for you Wade. Soon enough, people will be asking for the fishing guide named...Big Wade! Food looks great. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
capntim

Great OTW video Wade. Glad to see you Newlyweds having a great time!
capntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
taggermike

I may have missed a photo but Did you actually fish on this trip? Amazing looking food though. Snook do live closer to SD than the Keys. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
C.W.C.
Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPetro View Post
Congratulations getting bruce to hire/sponsor you. I knew you had been hounding him for a while before I left. I used to work for him selling Hobies and climbing gear before I moved to Humboldt. I'm glad to see you found a way too get his fishing team going. Nomad Ventures needs more recognition o this site!! may be when i'm in S.D. we can hit the water for a little nomad fishing shesh.
Big Thanks! Lets get out whenever you get a break buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
SNOOKered, two casts and no snook? Wade BAJA is still waiting! Glad to see you and Mari back on the water.
I got cha covered good buddy! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
thats good stuff. send more!
Thanks, Will Do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
Great video Wade. That was a culinary adventure. Looking forward to the snook...
Hang tight good man, episode three coming soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya_one View Post
Glad to see the post Wade. Nice.
Likewise, K1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Great pictures and video, Wade. It' like we where there, except we couldn't smell or taste the delicious food. Tight Lines Wade
Thanks, Mark hope to see you real soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Which of the KeyZ were you at? That area is where I grew up.
Try going for the mutton snapper in the near shore reefs, they will rip your lips off. The mangrove snapper hang out in the, mangroves, where else. Snook do also, and also favor some of the channels. Tarpon - the flats and channels. try out Card Sound Bridge during tarpon season, you will find them by watching for the mullet schools going airborne.
Don't forget to catch some shrimp when they are running and get a snorkel for catching lobster.
There's a lot I miss about that place.
All of ‘em, Dave! Been going back to Florida almost every year since I was knee high to a grasshopper..I lived down in Miami for the College years and then some..
We briefly discussed our Florida adventures a while back when we were targeting those Corvinas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Super stoked for you Wade. Soon enough, people will be asking for the fishing guide named...Big Wade! Food looks great. Jim
Thanks, Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capntim View Post
Great OTW video Wade. Glad to see you Newlyweds having a great time!
Thanks Skipper, more coming full steam ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I may have missed a photo but Did you actually fish on this trip? Amazing looking food though. Snook do live closer to SD than the Keys. Mike
Yes, almost the entire time we were floating. Yes thankfully Snook are found at quite a few locations, but unfortunately I don’t have property there yet..
My Grandfather that taught me how to fish & also one of the places I visited as a child every year went to me upon his passing. I have kept the ol’ fishing lodge as it is also within close distance to my parents place too.

Last edited by C.W.C.; 02-08-2015 at 06:43 PM.
C.W.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
C.W.C.
Salt

PART TWO

Z-Man has a NEW heavier grade XPS Chatterbait design coming out in a couple months..I think they are going to be perfect for Saltwater Bass & Halis..
Increased collar for skirts and trailers. Electroplated blades, Z-Tie EZ Skirts, Mustad UltraPoint hooks & a super strong quick-clip line tie.
Can’t wait to take them to the Islands..

Bluefish were really wackin’ the Chatterbait.

It’s never too skinny for the PA..

Jack Crevalle PaddlerZ

Reebs Kelp Sassin Swimjig / Jack Crevalle

Pinfish Chatterbait / Jack Crevalle

Not every OTW meal could be a fresh hot grilled Grouper sandwich..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
C.W.C.
Salt

PART TWO VIDEO

Watch In HD!

PART THREE FINAL COMING SOON.....