Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
AlwaysFishing

Wide Open Rockfish at Jurassic Rock (Redondo Beach King Harbor)

Another great outing from last August. It was so open, everything I threw down got hit. I used live mackerels, various jigs and squid.

AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:02 PM   #2
Paul1066
Junior

Video

Got a question, does outboard run the entire time your fishing?
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:25 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Great looking Rockfish Quang! Awesome honey hole -- looks like San Nicolas Island grade, Hard to believe that's Redondo. Liked and subscribed -- Thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:27 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1066 View Post
I was wondering the same? My buddies who have 2.5hp Suzuki's on their modified Hobie Kayaks with an Alma added shut their engines off when starting a drift.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Like the catchy orange 🍊 👌 😎

Brought you good luck 👍

Last edited by MITCHELL; 04-09-2022 at 06:24 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:07 AM   #6
AlwaysFishing

Yes I keep the motor running the whole time I am out there. Rockfish structures are usually pretty small. The current/wind will carry the Solo out of position very quickly. I would have to turn the motor on/off all the time. If I am drifting for Halibut, I would definitely turn the engine off. I have been fishing with the motor on for over a year and the motor is still running very well. I flushed the motor, run the gas out and drain the carb after every use. I change the motor oil every three months. Spark plugs and lower unit oil are changed every season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1066 View Post
Old 04-10-2022, 06:22 AM   #7
AlwaysFishing

Thank you, John. Redondo canyon is pretty wide and deep. There's no doubt there are giants down there. I spend a lot time last year exploring the canyon. There are so much structure and rockfish are everywhere and some have great quality size rockfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Great looking Rockfish Quang! Awesome honey hole -- looks like San Nicolas Island grade, Hard to believe that's Redondo. Liked and subscribed -- Thanks.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:29 AM   #8
AlwaysFishing

John, I leave the motor running all day. I have a 1.5gal gas tank and still have almost half a gallon left after about 6 hours on the water, and I run all over the canyon. I have a Tohatsu, with an original 5hp. I replaced the carb to increase it to a 6hp.

Quote:
I was wondering the same? My buddies who have 2.5hp Suzuki's on their modified Hobie Kayaks with an Alma added shut their engines off when starting a drift.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:34 AM   #9
AlwaysFishing

Thank you, Duke. I like orange and I like it that boaters can see me, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Brought you good luck 👍
Old 04-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #10
mocruz1200
Junior

Im fairly new to fishing redondo, would you mind sharing what depths you were looking for in the canyon? ive peddaled around the canyon once, and just ended up feeling kinda lost. ended up going out to shallower waters and bumped into some sculpin
mocruz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #11
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Thanks for the great video. Nice to know there are still some big ones out there to be caught.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:35 PM   #12
AlwaysFishing

You can find Rockfish from 150ft to 600ft (max depth allowed) in Redondo but I usually stays between 250ft and 450ft. I like deeper areas because less people fish it. Once weather gets warmer and calmer, I will be hitting the 450ft to 600ft areas to see what's down there. I am sure there are monsters sizes to be had. The shallower areas has been over fished so you will mostly find smaller sizes. I find they are most active when the current is moving from NW to SE. The current kicks up debris so you want to be on the south side of the canyon.

Check out Honeybadger Voodoo on Youtube. He have some very informative video specifically for the Redondo canyon. He's the reason I got in to kayak fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgDEjf0k8I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocruz1200 View Post
Im fairly new to fishing redondo, would you mind sharing what depths you were looking for in the canyon? ive peddaled around the canyon once, and just ended up feeling kinda lost. ended up going out to shallower waters and bumped into some sculpin
Old 04-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #13
AlwaysFishing

Thank you, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
Thanks for the great video. Nice to know there are still some big ones out there to be caught.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:33 AM   #14
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
You can find Rockfish from 150ft to 600ft (max depth allowed) in Redondo but I usually stays between 250ft and 450ft. I like deeper areas because less people fish it. Once weather gets warmer and calmer, I will be hitting the 450ft to 600ft areas to see what's down there. I am sure there are monsters sizes to be had. The shallower areas has been over fished so you will mostly find smaller sizes. I find they are most active when the current is moving from NW to SE. The current kicks up debris so you want to be on the south side of the canyon.

Check out Honeybadger Voodoo on Youtube. He have some very informative video specifically for the Redondo canyon. He's the reason I got in to kayak fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgDEjf0k8I
Inspirational video Quang, Now that fishing is opened up to 100 fathoms, definitely check out the volcanic reef. Back in the late 70's the 1/2 and 3/4 day sport fleet hit it pretty hard for big Salmon Groupers, Chilis and Cows. By now it's probably ripe again.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #15
AlwaysFishing

Thanks John. I've got those Volcanic Reefs marked, but it is 10-12 miles out so I have not attempt it yet. I need a buddy with a Solo or Inflatable to go with me. Maybe I will try it alone when there is a flat day.

Quote:
Inspirational video Quang, Now that fishing is opened up to 100 fathoms, definitely check out the volcanic reef. Back in the late 70's the 1/2 and 3/4 day sport fleet hit it pretty hard for big Salmon Groupers, Chilis and Cows. By now it's probably ripe again.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:36 PM   #16
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Thanks John. I've got those Volcanic Reefs marked, but it is 10-12 miles out so I have not attempt it yet. I need a buddy with a Solo or Inflatable to go with me. Maybe I will try it alone when there is a flat day.
Awesome Quang. I will vicariously enjoy your videos whenever you make it out there.