Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #21
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Bob, Bob, Bob...like you've said to newbies before: use the search function. The other La Jolla launch options have been talked about before. Then Larry has to spend time posting up satelite pictures and links to maps, again. There's quite a few other nice launches in La Jolla, too. These other spots require a little knowledge of the local reefs, though. The beauty of them is that there's not anybody launching there. And that's a good thing.

Oh yeah---that sticker is freakin' huge, Larry.
Josh I have a short video clip of you launching there on a tougher day somewhere. You paddled out the X Factor on your knees.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
blackcloud9
Kayaker

"When you drop your bait stick in, do you put it in free spool with the clicker on, or use the drag."
Toby - If the rod is not in my hand, I use lever drag Avets and use the lever, not free spool and clicker. The cost of tip-wrapping spectra on a 30# yellow is likely "some swimming".

Josh - I am not even sponsored by Kaenon Love the glasses and customer service though.

Fongman - I never drop my fish in the hull, I like my kayak the way it smells now : ) - only inside an xlarge drybag on ice if they are smaller models.

deepdvr - fished rockfish on sunday evening and they were lockjawed, (!!) got only one big sculpin. Trolled out and back for YT/WSB. 2-mile pedal way outside was good excercise into crazy afternoon mixed seas with tons of current going North to South, mixed with wind chop. Challenging and fun open ocean kayaking. I would only do that trip in a Hobie. There was some water that looked like tomato soup out there.

batty - I was 100 yds from the (bait area) kelp, about a mile out.

I agree with Josh, Big Rock launch is not good for the average kayaker unless the Torrey Pines buoy is under 3' (rare). I helped a guy launch this weekend at the reef, pointed him in the right direction, and he paddled right into the surf zone at the reef (!!) but got lucky. Guess the right path is not obvious to most but you can easily end up upside-down on dry barnacles with 4' waves breaking on you. If you go out the *right* direction, its pretty easy. Shores is the best bet. deepdvr said it best, I launch at Big Rock mainly because I live right there on Palomar Ave.

For the seasoned kayaker, it can be an easier (read drier) launch than Shores if there is a pure windswell (short period waves) in the water. But, right now there is a 6' drop off the rock down onto the sand but the peddle-out channel is in good shape, likely for the rest of the summer.

Last edited by blackcloud9; 05-17-2010 at 01:17 PM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
JoeBeck

Nice double hook-up Larry! We went out to Point Loma Saturday. Water was murky, pretty sure red tide. No love on the outside, fished for about 8 hours throwing the iron and trolling live bait, then moved to the inside for the last couple hours, a nice calico bite.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
toby

Thanks for the info Larry! I don't really want to go swimming, not to mention the embarrassment even if I were by myself.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #25
lamb

awesome Larry
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #26
Dennis

Sweet! WTG Larry!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #27
cjthomas

totally awesome!
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote