Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

Dog Beach

Has anyone ever launched from there?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Dog Beach in OB?.......nice outside sets, I have seen kayaks get worked there. I foolishly launched for my first kayak fishing ocean session just south of OB pier and solo to boot.....it did not end well!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
kurt

If you don't mind surf, go for it. Otherwise, why not launch from inside Mission Bay? Longer paddle, but less worries.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If you don't mind surf, go for it. Otherwise, why not launch from inside Mission Bay? Longer paddle, but less worries.
Sounds like what I may do sometime
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you plan to launch there you would be better off launching into the river outflow side paddling over the gap in the jetty and out the channel. A little extra paddling but no risk of big surf.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Rockin1904
Junior

Well Jimmy let me know when you do that. I may join you.
Rockin1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
If you plan to launch there you would be better off launching into the river outflow side paddling over the gap in the jetty and out the channel. A little extra paddling but no risk of big surf.

Bob
I have seen that gap and wondered if it was doable.

And Jimmy, the surf there is steep. Avalanche (the smaller jetty) is a steep wave, and the dog beach jetty may not look hairy but it is. Definitely not like the surf at LJ launch.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
yaknewb

Ya jimmy i dony advice it i seen a few people trying it and it didnt end well they wernt fishing but still itd suck to flip in full gear good way to ruin the start to your day.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
GregAndrew

Go for it, I will bring the camera, the popcorn and a cell phone to call the Lifeguards.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
driftwood

I lived in OB for 12 years. Between all the raw sewage and dog crap that goes down the San Diego river into the ocean... you'll be fishing right up the Butthole of Point loma.

That is the toilet flush dude!

Last edited by driftwood; 02-06-2011 at 07:16 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

I think I will pass on Dog Beach. I was just wondering if there were any places to launch closer to Point Loma.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin1904 View Post
Well Jimmy let me know when you do that. I may join you.
X2
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
....raw sewage....dog crap....the Butthole of Point loma.....
Sounds like a great place for big Halibut
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
taggermike

Paddleing out through the surf near a jetty is always a bit stress inducing. Getting dumped and having your yak wash all the way to the sand while you swim/wade back is one thing. Getting dumped and having your yak wash in to the rocks, or worse yo uand your yak getting washed in ti the rocks is another. Play it smart and be conservative. Like others said, take the longer/easier paddle. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
JoeBeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

Bob
I fish point loma a lot and in in my opinion this is not a good idea. You can not always paddle over that gap, you then have your car in OB and then what? You have to climb over the wall or go through surf to get back and as already said outside sets if you have to come in on dog beach. There also can be pretty good currents from the outgoing and incoming tides right there. If you launch from mariners basin that would be about the exact same distance paddle and you would not have to hop over any wall or worry about surf.

You can also launch south of point loma pier when the surf is down but yes, you must be comfortable in the surf as there is a pretty good rocky reef there you don't want to get dumped on.

Kallogs street is a good option, you can pick up bait on the way out then fish the point while it is still open (this area is on the MLPA chopping board). I have found if you time it so you come back in an incoming tide that trip is much more enjoyable.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
I fish point loma a lot and in in my opinion this is not a good idea. You can not always paddle over that gap, you then have your car in OB and then what? You have to climb over the wall or go through surf to get back and as already said outside sets if you have to come in on dog beach. There also can be pretty good currents from the outgoing and incoming tides right there. If you launch from mariners basin that would be about the exact same distance paddle and you would not have to hop over any wall or worry about surf.

You can also launch south of point loma pier when the surf is down but yes, you must be comfortable in the surf as there is a pretty good rocky reef there you don't want to get dumped on.

Kallogs street is a good option, you can pick up bait on the way out then fish the point while it is still open (this area is on the MLPA chopping board). I have found if you time it so you come back in an incoming tide that trip is much more enjoyable.
On trips like these I'll for sure have to plan them a little better than just hitting up La Jolla. I don't mind the long paddles, I know the Point Loma Kelp is fun and have fished it many times from a boat. So now I would like to try from a yak too.

I have been looking at that Kellog St. to launch for some time now. How's the parking restrictions in that area?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
JoeBeck

Jimmy parking at Kellog St. is not a problem. Even though I call it Kellogs street I actually park one street east, Lawrence St. Always parking and simple to put the yak on the beach.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
Jimmy parking at Kellog St. is not a problem. Even though I call it Kellogs street I actually park one street east, Lawrence St. Always parking and simple to put the yak on the beach.
It looks like a great place to launch actually, and it cuts out a huge paddle distance. I was checking that out last week and wondered if there was public access to that beach area, now I guess I have my answer.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
old_rookie

Here is a link to some pics from a chopper along the entire coastline of California - except for a naval base.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/c...gs=0&year=2006

The link is some place along Point Loma. Look through that for a launch site along point loma.

If you click on the center photo, you get the full high-res image bigger than what you screen can handle.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I have been looking at that Kellog St. to launch for some time now. How's the parking restrictions in that area?
Becareful of the meter maid. Dont double park to launch your yak over there during normal business hours. I sweet talked my way out of a ticket once with her, and have seen her a couple of other times in that area in the late afternoon.