Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Seanbarnett
Junior

Help the next generation

Im 16 years old, go to palisades high school and i love to fish, no one else in my family does so its hard for me to get out on the water and no one to teach me anything, I bought a fishing kayak hoping to get out more often but i dont really know what i'm doing. If anyone has any old gear that they don't need anymore I'm looking to buy but i don't have much money left, and if you are going out and willing to let me tag along and teach me some stuff it would be very helpful. I have a truck too so if you live near me in Los angeles i could pick you and your gear up and drive us to La Jolla or anywhere you want to go.
Seanbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
jsunmkly
Jason

Sounds like a great new carpool and fishing buddy!
Welcome and I am sure you will find many experts that can help!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

No need to go to lj. Plenty of decent fishing to be had in la/oc
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Widgeon

Try to gain as much knowledge as you can from the internet. Obviously, this website being a prime resource. This will save you time and money in the long run.
You should be able to connect with some of the more experienced yak anglers in your area. They can show you specific areas and techniques.

I've been getting out to LJ on Sunday mornings. You are more than welcome to join me anytime.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

The most valuable thing I ever did was hire a guide for La Jolla. It will save you so much time and money in the long run. Get that summer job and save $ for THE DARKHORSE. Other than that you will meet many good peeps when you are fishing somewhere and are very helpful too. Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Welcome to BWE (and the addiction!).
This is a great group of peeps here with a lot of info/insight into this sport.
If you are a member of R.E.I. (one @ 4th & Santa Monica Blvd), they have a one day basic learn to Kayak w/tour class coming up on 8/2 @ MDR, check with store for info.
Also check with Action Watersports (4144 Lincoln Blvd. between Washington & Maxella) I believe they also teach how-to-surf launches!
If you have no luck finding equipment, shoot me a P.M. with what equipment you already have and what you plan to target and "maybe"...I might be able to be of some assistance.
I used to work at a tackle shop in Gardena and built ALL my own rods (until Shimano made their new reels based on their new smaller diameter rods/reel seats). I might have duplicate rods I no longer need or have blanks (mostly Calstars) I have yet to wrap.
As for where to fish, you have some of the best fishing in the Santa Monica Bay! There's some good fishing in/and north of Malibu (in the kelp beds) though I'm not familiar with launch areas. In the "South Bay", once your proficient with your paddling skills, there's some good fishing on the inside of Palos Verdes (aka: Rocky Point) all along the kelp where most PBER's can't get into.
I hope this helps you.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-31-2014 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Additional info.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
If you are a member of R.E.I. (one @ 4th & Santa Monica Blvd), they have a one day basic learn to Kayak w/tour class coming up on 8/2 @ MDR, check with store for info.
FFY

Remember, REI supported the MLPA closures. I go there to compare products, but then buy elsewhere
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
defjack

You really need to go out with someone at least the first few times just to get you through the surf. Jack
defjack is offline   Reply With Quote