Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I get another kayak for my friends who barely go out?
Yes 5 20.83%
No 19 79.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

BWE I need your help!!! Do i need another yak?

So this evening my wife and I had a discussion:

Is it more reasonable to buy another kayak or just rent one for when my fishing buddies decide to go out with me?

A little background:

I work like a dog M-F at work, Saturday i almost always go kayaking and Sunday is Church and family time. On a few Saturdays a fishing buddy would go out with me.

My First kayak was a red tandem and i would take a fishing buddy to go kayaking but then i started fishing so i got an X-factor (so for while i had two yaks). My tandem would only go out when my friends were willing to go fishing with me. (like once every 5 Saturdays) otherwise it just sat there... (granted in the summertime i take a few days off every month)

So then I saw Andy super sale and i decided to sell my cobra tandem and get another x-factor.

So my wife(who refuses to kayak) says to me is it really necessary for you to buy another kayak when the tandem just sits in the garage for a long time and I said "yes." (you never know when the house might get flooded and we might have to kayak out of here)

Which got me thinking should I really be getting another kayak? I mean its nice to have two

My wife made a really good point...

She told me it was up to me.... (you married people know what that means) (but really its my choice, she has given me the green light)

----- But i do want a second yak----- because renting gets expensive--- and i want a blue yak
I also like the fact that i don't have to wait for a kayak rental place to open in the morning before i can take my kayak fishing buddy out.

I mean i could always rent one from Andy, if someone wanted to join me, its not like my friends go out with me every Saturday.

I know other big water edge members have come across this situation

Advantages to having two yaks:

Ability to pick a yak before going out
You can have a friend tag along
You can have two yaks to look at in your garage
You can kayak with a friend and leave any time you want

Disadvantages

Can't name one

My wife says: Waste of money, your not going to use it

Now Most of my friends live in Apt don't have a garage and just have a tough life... So i wouldn't mind having another basic yak...

But it really comes down to, is if i should get another one...

so i am asking for your honest opinion here

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-11-2011 at 07:21 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
jorluivil

If you're friends are interested in kayaking let them go out and and get their own, use your extra money for upgrades on your current yak.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
Rockin1904
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If you're friends are interested in kayaking let them go out and and get their own, use your extra money for upgrades on your current yak.

I thought about doing the same thing for a fishing friend whom I would bring from time to time. It was nice to have an extra yak but I noticed it sat most of the time when I wanted to fish the other couldnt reality it sat most of the time. But it is nice to be able to be in your own yak especially if you want to move to a different spot.

All in all do you have that money to burn? Its your call now.
Rockin1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin1904 View Post
I thought about doing the same thing for a fishing friend whom I would bring from time to time. It was nice to have an extra yak but I noticed it sat most of the time when I wanted to fish the other couldnt reality it sat most of the time. But it is nice to be able to be in your own yak especially if you want to move to a different spot.

All in all do you have that money to burn? Its your call now.
My neighbor bought a yak on impulse after I bought mine, his yak is now a bakyard ornament.

Neighbors Yak Purchase= $750
Neighbors Yak Upgrades & Accesories= $500
The look on his face when I came home with back to back to back limits = you know the answer

Much like you said though, " do you have that money to burn.............."
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

nice thought but I wouldn't do it....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Lets_Fish

While I applaud you on bringing your friend fishing and wanting to get a "solo" yak for him, I would hold off.

Here are my reasons:

1. You have an extra yak already.
2. He only fishing once in a while (far less than you).
3. Money spent on a third yak could be used for a "Mothership" trip, family vacation day or something else.
4. You have an extra yak!

Have you considered that he can fish solo from the tandem. If you have another friend or he has one, consider purchasing an extra paddle for the tandem so three of you can fish together.

Good luck.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Fish View Post
While I applaud you on bringing your friend fishing and wanting to get a "solo" yak for him, I would hold off.

Here are my reasons:

1. You have an extra yak already.
2. He only fishing once in a while (far less than you).
3. Money spent on a third yak could be used for a "Mothership" trip, family vacation day or something else.
4. You have an extra yak!

Have you considered that he can fish solo from the tandem. If you have another friend or he has one, consider purchasing an extra paddle for the tandem so three of you can fish together.

Good luck.
Tandem i sold (didn't really like the tandem) to buy another one from Andy(at this upcomming supersale).(at this moment i only have one)

I have received a few private tells, that told me just buy a basic model and make my friends hold their fishing rod.

So here lies the question

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-11-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
tagyak

let your friends rent or buy one themselves. if they really like to fish or want to kayak, then it will be a really easy decision on their end to do so.

aren't you a member of this forum for a reason? to find others who want to do the same thing as yourself to fish from a kayak? i have friends who like to fish, but don't have kayaks. i always encourage them to buy one so that we can go out together; they haven't bought one.

and who gets to clean up after them? do they help or do they just say thanks for the trip and go home? when i get back i am pretty beat and not feeling like cleaning up one, let alone two.

like they say, the thought is what counts; so nice thought, but use your money on something else.

my .02 worth
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
let your friends rent or buy one themselves. if they really like to fish or want to kayak, then it will be a really easy decision on their end to do so.

aren't you a member of this forum for a reason? to find others who want to do the same thing as yourself to fish from a kayak? i have friends who like to fish, but don't have kayaks. i always encourage them to buy one so that we can go out together; they haven't bought one.

and who gets to clean up after them? do they help or do they just say thanks for the trip and go home? when i get back i am pretty beat and not feeling like cleaning up one, let alone two.

like they say, the thought is what counts; so nice thought, but use your money on something else.

my .02 worth
you guys are all correct.

I thought it was just nice to have two, but not to just have it sit there.

its like what someone just told me:

"Your friends are willing to go out with you as long as you shell out the money. I love my friends, and i love the idea of having two just in case someone wants to go with me, but it does not make any sense if it will just sit there and yes my friends help me clean them. that not fair either" he said

I guess i am the one who wants two...

I hate fighting myself...

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-11-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post

my .02 worth
He has a good point.

I have an extra yak that I have offered up for my friends to use to go hooping so many times and it has never happened. They are always so into it, and then they never go. It is a tandem that I got for the wife and I years ago, and then when my buddy showed me I could fish and hoop off of a kayak. Then after fishing that for a while I am on my third different kayak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

I hate fighting myself...
I hear that. What you could do is buy a different yak from what you have, rig it up different and see if you like it. Then sell the one you like least. Sounds like a good time to me!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
He has a good point.

I have an extra yak that I have offered up for my friends to use to go hooping so many times and it has never happened. They are always so into it, and then they never go. It is a tandem that I got for the wife and I years ago, and then when my buddy showed me I could fish and hoop off of a kayak. Then after fishing that for a while I am on my third different kayak.

I hear that. What you could do is buy a different yak from what you have, rig it up different and see if you like it. Then sell the one you like least. Sounds like a good time to me!

This was my original plan. Sell my tandem and get the 15ft Extreme, but right after i sold it Andy said no Extremes this sale.

So... (i am fighting myself)

Hence the whole post

(sigh)
Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
This was my original plan. Sell my tandem and get the 15ft Extreme, but right after i sold it Andy said no Extremes this sale.

So... (i am fighting myself)

Hence the whole post

(sigh)
stop fighting yourself and let's go fight some fish...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
yakrider

if your freind wants to fish that bad, but lives in an apartment, make him buy his own yak, you keep it at your house, you other freind can use his yak, everybody wins, and the wife can't give you crap for buying two!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
He has a good point.

I not only had one but two extra kayaks for friends and relatives. I think in the past 3 years they were only used twice. Big waste of money. And now look at me, I don't have shit! But its only a temporary state. I'll be picking my new Torque upon when I get back state side (2 weeks Rik).

I really wish I had all the cash I dumped into rigging up my spare kayaks. I could have had a supercharged, nitro injected evolve on my Revo!

You'll make enough new friends out there with their own kayaks and they will be close friends who you will have some great memories & drinking stories to share....you don't need to worry about those that don't!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Yakrider....I like the way you think! Win-Win!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

I confess I voted yes, but my view may be a bit skewed