Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
yaknewb

New to fishing bays out of yak how do you fish 4-5 inch swimbaits?

So iv fished swim baits from shore i jus got a yak and jus been long lineing a 4 inch big hammer and jus raising the tip every so often. its been some what productive some sand bass small halibuts and of course spotties. Im wondering if there anouther way of fishing them or is what im doing is a good way of going about it.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Rockin1904
Junior

What works fro me is slow retrieving it through the grass
Rockin1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaknewb View Post
So iv fished swim baits from shore i jus got a yak and jus been long lineing a 4 inch big hammer and jus raising the tip every so often. its been some what productive some sand bass small halibuts and of course spotties. Im wondering if there anouther way of fishing them or is what im doing is a good way of going about it.
You're doing what is good. What I like to do is a long lining thing. I'll drop the bait down and then back paddle or paddle long enough to drop about 100 to 150 yards of line off. Make sure your bait is weighted right with the current so that it stays closer to the bottom. Then slowly reel back in. If you don't get bit then do it again and alter your speed to find what the fish are hitting and repeat.

The other way is cast out, let it sink and then crank back in altering your speeds.

I also like to dead stick them, cast out, let it hit the bottom, and then bounce along the bottom. The key to this is do what you can that gets you bit. I like having a T-rigged bait out and a C-rigged bait out. I'll cast the C-rigged bait out, let it sink, and let the movement of the boat give the bait life. I get my bigger fish that way. Most of all Use Uni-butter on your baits and that will increase you strikes.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

don't rule out the 3" BH in the shallower harbors under 30 feet. I vary with what you are doing with steady winding just ticking the bottom. Also try spinnerbaits in white or chartreuse 3/4-1.5oz, Zoom Flukes and sled heads are great around hook grabbing structure. Bugz makes a great weedless jig.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

I agree with Iceman also. The larger baits tend to produce larger fish at times, but you will find the smaller baits will produce more and you will get just as big of fish.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
yaknewb

Sweet thanks for the tips about the spinnerbaits i was told if i bounce the bigger heavyer baits off the bottom i can hook into the larger halibuts and big sand bass. Im asking about the bigger bait cus i fish with two rods and one is a ultra lite drop shoting a fluke that cacths fish big and small i wana use bigger baits on the other pole for bigger fish...
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Riskey Water

In the deeper water I like to use 1 1/2oz or 2 oz long shank hooks ,seeing how halis like to short bite, the long shanks seem to produce more hook-ups .Fish on brother ,everyone has their own technique ,so what ever works for you
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
roadx

in the bay (mission bay) a good producer has been the 3" bleeding chovie with 1/4 oz head by big hammer also try spinner baits, you know the one's they use for fresh water bass, willow blades/ Colorado blades both work well in sliver or gold or combo

good luck
Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Amish Ed

One of the most productive retrieves for me is to cast out, once the bait hits the bottom start a 3/3 pattern. 3 cranks, let the bait settle back to the bottom, 3 count rest, and repeat. Once the bait starts taking too long to hit the bottom I either let out a bunch of line (if I'm still in the right area and there's current) or wind in and start over.

Definitely don't forget the 3" baits, I've scored lots of bigger bass and legal butts on them. Blades are great too. One of my favorites is the Hyspin, turns most (eye has to be big enough) any leadhead into a spinner bait. This last year I've done really well with the spotties with a 3" Flurry and a Hyspin. In fact I don't carry any other blade these days.

My other favorite is a Yamamoto Swimin' Senko. Either Texas rigged or on a Sleadhead. Like Andy said Zoom super flukes on a Sleadhead are great. That's my go to bait for boilers and kelp.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Sdfisherman88
Junior

What is the best way to retrieve T-Rigged flukes? How heavy of a weight do you use on them?
Sdfisherman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
Amish Ed

I use the same retrieves and throw in a rod twitch here or there. 1/4oz bullet for less 25' and 1/2 for deeper. If the current is ripping I'll use the 1/2 in shallow too.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
MrPatrick

Don't forget.....

The dropshot is also a killer in the bay, especially deep.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote