Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Dennis

La Jolla 5/8 PM

Launched at 330 with Dave. Waves 1-2, wind 8 WNW, 10-15ft water vis... Made bait at a little past the can. Large macs with a few small ones. Trolled one high and one low. Paddled along the kelp line to the "spot". Dave is a little southwest of me... when I hear ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! Not from me, though. Dave calls me over, and he's on. I paddled to him to see if I could get some action shots. But, the rest is his story.

-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

ooo thats a purdy 1 with those nice stripes.. congrats!!!
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
DaveC

Hey, Dennis it was fun fishing with you. As for the details, launched a bit before four. Bait was pretty easy, greenies about a quarter of a mile outside the preserve or so. Trolled out to the area in front of the hotel and I spent my time working the area from 65 feet out to about 80. I kept working the same area. Nothing until around six I started getting some real good marks in around 70 feet of water. Still nothing. About ten minutes later I paddle over some really nice marks. I get a nice zing on my flylined bait but its dropped. I picked up the rod and waited to see if the fish would pick it up again. Waited for a couple of minutes, then started winding the bait back real slow and the bait gets bumped again. I threw it into free spool and it gets picked up but still kind of sluggish. Went ahead and wound tight, the fish was there and as I set the hook my other rod goes off big time. The hooked fish towed me away from the kelp, made a few nice runs, before coming to the boat. The fish went 51" and weighed 44lbs on the spring scale. I'm going to take it down for a derby weigh in tomorrow to get on the board.

Thanks again for the pics Dennis. Hopefully next time I can take the pics for you.

Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
MKNOTT

Cool Dave, I had to leave when you gave me that time check. Out wed PM. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Dan

Santa Rosa and Catalina might be producing limits, but La Jolla is producing absolute TOADS! beauty, i want one!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Cabman! Nice going Dave, that one may get you second place in the derby! If ya weigh it at OEX as well it may win you a rod. Biggest fish weighed in each month wins. Last month Brad won a Corvalus and Tiburon rod.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
briyak

THIS CONFIRMS MY SUSPICION THAT I AM A JINX. I MAY HAVE TO BURN MY KAYAK AND FISHING GEAR TO TURN IT AROUND. BUT IM HAPPY FOR YOU DAVE.
briyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Dennis

Hey Mike,
I was trying to raise you up on the radio. Sorry, bro. I knew you were out there, just didn't know where. I'll be out on Wed, also. What time are you heading out? I'll see you on the water.

Dave-
No worries. Nice fish! That thing looked hefty.

-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
vellocity

nice one Cabbie!

it was slow today for the AM shift... lotsa sardines puddling around.. i think i overheard one TOAD get gaffed by a PB'er this morning.. in 75' next to Jim Sammons
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
Mo

Nice one Dave!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
DaveC

Thanks guys. The official weight at Fisherman's Landing was 44lbs. Makes me appreciate the size of Ken's fish. Thanks for the heads up Andy, I dropped by OEX and this is the first fish weighed for this month. I don't think it will hold up though. I have a suspicion some really big fish are going to get weighed this month.

Brian don't burn the yak, but next time you're going fishing let me know so I can get some work done around the house.

Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote