Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #21
Salty

Could possibly be a fat soupfin shark? Fought a good one for a while around the end of summer at LJ this year. Not sure its a BSB. Caught 2 this summer and the ones I caught did more horizontal runs, not so much vertical to the bottom. But I know fish fight differently depending how they're hooked sometimes. Also, I fought them from a boat, not a kayak so we weren't staying over the top of them. All that said, that view of the FF definitely shows SOMETHING fishy near the bottom in my opinion. Or maybe a diver was messing with your line lol
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #22
FISH11

To those that think it was stuck on the bottom, maybe you should look at the video a little closer and notice that the are next to no swells for the hull to go up or down. The exception was when a boat wake crossed and you can see the movement and a slap noise from the hull. In the 7+ years I have been fishing LJ in my kayaks and now the Solo Skiff., I have many times got stuck on the bottom and that is easy to tell what's going on, most times you go up hill and pull from a different angle then what got you stuck and you get your gear back. Other time it doesn't do any good. Those time you could pull as hard as you want and you can't gain any line and the line won't break using the rod. Those time what I have to do is take one of my Scotty rocket launcher rod holders out wrap the braid around it and use it as a handle to pull up as hard as possible and that is what it takes to break the 65 lb braid. Also had many sharks on the line this was something new for me. I have never brought up a BSB. The still pictures I took from the gopro video also show 0.0mph in movement even when I released the drag twice to see if it was a fish wrapped on the bottom, because there was almost no current at that time. Each time it would take line to the same area and stop. Then I could gain line again and it would just pull it back to the same area, weird. I hope to have better luck tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:12 PM   #23
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
To those that think it was stuck on the bottom, maybe you should look at the video a little closer and notice that the are next to no swells for the hull to go up or down. The exception was when a boat wake crossed and you can see the movement and a slap noise from the hull. In the 7+ years I have been fishing LJ in my kayaks and now the Solo Skiff., I have many times got stuck on the bottom and that is easy to tell what's going on, most times you go up hill and pull from a different angle then what got you stuck and you get your gear back. Other time it doesn't do any good. Those time you could pull as hard as you want and you can't gain any line and the line won't break using the rod. Those time what I have to do is take one of my Scotty rocket launcher rod holders out wrap the braid around it and use it as a handle to pull up as hard as possible and that is what it takes to break the 65 lb braid. Also had many sharks on the line this was something new for me. I have never brought up a BSB. The still pictures I took from the gopro video also show 0.0mph in movement even when I released the drag twice to see if it was a fish wrapped on the bottom, because there was almost no current at that time. Each time it would take line to the same area and stop. Then I could gain line again and it would just pull it back to the same area, weird. I hope to have better luck tomorrow.
Good luck tomorrow! Go catch whatever the hell that was!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
wolfman
Wolfman

BSB

It was a BSB....Nothing else sits on the bottom like a rock! I was fishing La jolla in my boat when a rod in the holder went off. It seemed like there was some line taken so I rail rodded it on the gunnel not gaining any line even though the boat was rising and falling with the swell.(It actually moved the boat sideways) After a full 30 min. it took off and shortly after broke me off.
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #25
the dude

I'm not going to get into some internet war. But I will say I've been next to some really good fishermen. Some with their own websites...I suppose I shouldn't name names...and I've seen them pull on a snag and think it's a fish. I've done it. Everyone has done it. I've also caught BSB in the 200# range. Still looks like you're on the bottom. Not busting your balls man. I don't think you farmed an epic fish if that makes you feel better....