Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Colonet Mexico, Memorial Weekend 2006

It is that time of year again, where I will be heading down to Colonet, baja to camp and fish. I thought I would post this now, to give anyone interested time to plan, and get time off.

This is a great place to get away from civilization with very primitive camping, and over the years great fishing. Colonet has a magnificient coastline, with seemingly never ending high sea cliffs. Surf is normally small in summer 1-2 ft, sometimes occasional 3-4 set, last memorial, I stepped over the waves.

This is an open invite for anyone to join us down to Colonet this year. I hope to get a good crowd, and I am willing to share this spot with those of you who kayak fish. Unfortunately, there are plans to build a large seaport in this area, so it will not be as it is forever.

Fishing includes: WSB, yellowtail, lingcod, rockfish, Calicos, Halibut, and surf perch...

I plan on leaving down mid morning Thursday May 25th, and returning back Tuesday the day after Labor Day, as I plan on making a trip of it... It will be come and go as you please, as we have made this trip on only a couple days, ie Sat through Monday and had a great quick trip.

Just cross the border via I-5, and take MEX HWY 2 to HWY 1 toll roads. (just head towards Ensenda cuato) There are three tolls, each toll is about $2.30 American. Follow HWY 1 to Ensenada. Continue past Ensenada, HWY 1 will now say "San Quintin." Colonet is only 145 miles south of the border, which is 77 miles past Ensenada at KM 126. Once you cross the border, this trip takes 3 to 4 hours depending on traffic, and how fast you drive.

The specific tournoff for Punta Colonet is at the end of town at about KM marker 129ish, you will turn off onto a dirt road on your right with the following sign:

Colonet is a small town, but has plenty of ammenities, including a Pemex recently built with a mini-mart. But instead of sandwiches, they have burritos with a chile in cellophane in their store, as well as, clearly knockoffs of red bull, and gatorade. There are a few small stores as well, which you can replenish your beer, ice, water, and beer. These stores contain plenty of other items, we even found soy sauce for our yellowtail once. My suggestion is to bring all your own food, beer, water with you. Then replenish ice and beer in town, and other minor items as described above.

This is not a sausage festivial, feel free to bring your ladies if they are camper types, some of us are bringing ours. (they need to keep eachother company, while we fish)

We hope you can join us... There will be a $10 Jackpot for Sunday's fishing, excluding sharks, rays, and whales.

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact me @ sdholymackerel@gmail.com

Here are some Journals for your reading pleasure: (click on links below)

Colonet Wide Open

Colonet Dos

Colonet tres Amigos

Colonet Memorial Day 2005

Colonet Labor Day 2005

Tres Tails

For your Travelling Needs Courtesy of Froman Limited Americas, Bangladesh, and Taiwan™

Froman's Top 10 Tips for Travelling baja

Colonet Weather link: *courtesy of fishingkayaks.net

Colonet Weather

****Disclaimer: You may or may not catch a big WSB, probably not. I cannot gaurantee that you will have fun, it is up to you and probably how your parents treated you as a child. This is a Free offer, valid in all 50 states, excluded on Sundays in Colorado. Only one coupon per person. Froman is a real person, and you may or may not meet him, if so be nice. Furthermore, Froman will require payment for his appearances, at least one cerveza, he may or may not speak on behalf of sealion's as his opinions sway with the popular current political trends. SD Kayak Fishing is not responsible for any lost equipment, women, or dinero to those puto federales. Furthermore, this is a kayak fishing event not an SDKF event, half the time we don't know why we have a site. If there is a WFO bite of any species please don't post this fishing spot on BloodyDecks forum, otherwise it will be crowded on the weekend like at La Jolla. Please don't be an ugly American. Please no drugs, or guns.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote