Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Fishless in Colonet

As Promised Zed, a separate thread! :P I just wrote this, and it may have to be edited over the next day or two. I also put it on a webpage, becuase there are lots of pics, and I will be damned, if I am gonna copy and paste text, then get all the URLs in properties, then use the img tags... I put a link back here at BWE on it! :lol:

http://sdkayakfishing.com/Tall-Tails...incolonet.html

I also really liked Steamrolls write up, I think it is cool, we can be on the same trip, take diverse pictures, and have a different story to tell!

Chris 8)
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
madscientist

Here's the version I sent to my friends. Keep in mind they don't know the cast, so I left out names. Read the others to figure out which numbnut is which. :lol:

What a trip. Fishing sucked. Got down there around 10:00PM Thursday night. We all started drinking, some more than others as you'll see (I just had a beer), at the dirt road...bad idea. First guy got there ahead of the other three of us, ran into a big mud puddle from the big swells we had a while ago, tried to turn around, buried his rear wheels in sand. As we come in, the guy in front with 4x4 thinks he can make it through the mud. Nope, he's stuck up to the axle in mud. Idiot behind him follows him in his 2wd truck and he's stuck. I was the only smart one that didn't barrel ahead into the mud. With 3 of 4 stuck, including the 4wd that could pull the others, nothing to do till morning. One guy is freaking out (I guess this is known as a Baja meltdown), but the rest of us aren't too concerned. At 1:30AM some guy shows up in our camp and begins a ramblng story of his brother, the Americanos, a professor, the army, and guns. I discretely disappear into my tent, but I guess the nutjob went on till 4:00AM. The next morning I drive in to town with one of our guys that speaks spanish. We try to find a tow truck but eventually just ask some guy with a 4wd. He agrees to help us (nice, wouldn't even take the money we offered) and manages to get the guy in the sand and the 2wd out, but the 4wd is deep and getting deeper. Finally we drive up to a different beach and find a friend of ours that has a big 4wd. Break a couple tow straps but finally get it out.

Reset camp up by our friend, right on the water's edge, and prepare to launch. BIG surf, but some windows. I get out first and only take one over the deck. I think I'm out of the surf zone and just am cruising out when I see a HUGE roller forming up. SHIT, offshore reef break! I throw it into high gear and just get over it before it breaks. The following slam down the backside busts some electrical connection so I'm blind. I turn around and see one of our guys behind me. I think "This dude is screwed". He was. Wave (close to a 4ft face) crashed right in front of him and the whitewater ate him up (rolled in the process) and spit him out, minus 2 rods that broke free. Scary shit. We fished for a couple hours but not much happening other than porpoise, and the south onshore wind picked up so we bailed. Coming in the tide was even lower and several of these offshore reef breaks were formed up. Every 15-20 minutes a big set would come through and suddenly there are BIG breakers where there had been none. 4 or 5 times while paddling in we looked back, said "Holy shit!" and had to spin the yaks to face a big roller head on. Two guys got pushed into the kelp and had to land a quarter mile from our camp because they couldn't risk running the breakers from where they were. 3 of us managed to find a bit of a window and made the dash to the beach. Steve and I got in relatively cleanly but Chris pearled and flipped. All stuff was stowed though so no harm done. Fun evening around the campfire, watching the surf crash.

Next morning it looks a little calmer so we all launch. Head way out around Punta Colonet (Colonet point). Fishing was slow but the grey whales are in full migration. Had one almost surface 10ft in front of me, scared the bejesus out of me. Lots of curious porpoise as well, but nothing but smaller bait fish. Got out about 4 miles, then an onshore wind kicked up and I headed in behind everyone else. Offshore breaks were less but still tricky. The guys on the beach said I came in right at the worse time, but apart from one breaker that came over the back and soaked me, I managed. Still, most white knuckle landings I've had since some night landings in the summer. We pooled our few fish and traded some beer for some fish with the local fisherman and had fish tacos by the fire. And some good tequila that promptly knocked me out. Cold windy night with some rain.

Woke up the next morning to find the surf had built and the wind blowing strong. Everyone agreed to throw in the towel so we packed up and headed out. Ride home was uneventful. Border crossing is slow but painless. I should have some pictures soon. The spot was beautiful and Baja is really a raw, undeveloped place once you get south of Ensenada. Not to be taken lightly but not really scary either, just got to keep your wits about you. Not sure I'd go solo, and its good to have one serious 4wd truck in the group (if he doesn't get stuck himself), but I'll definitely do it again. I think we may all go for memorial weekend when the surf should be calmer and the fish more active.

Cheers!
Brad
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
I was the only smart one that didn't barrel ahead into the mud.
With all due respect Mad, you couldn't go anywhere near the mud, we were blocking your entrance, it wasn't clear for you to do so. I am thinking you would have not, due to your small truck, I know I wouldnt have taken my little tacoma through that, but Mike, and I have driven his 4x4 in the past through what appeared worse!! And will again! :lol:

edit below:

Quote:
Steve and I got in relatively cleanly but Chris pearled and flipped
I thought you were leaving out names!!! :P
Old 01-18-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
madscientist

There was plenty of room in that mud puddle behind you Chris, I could have gotten stuck if I so desired. :lol: As I told Ken, I never drive into puddles without knowing what they contain. I've seen ATVs disappear into what looked like a puddle and turned out to be a hole.

The whole thing was quite amusing. That was some wicked mud, really quicksand like goo.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

You may be right, I guess Tecates (I wasnt driving), hillbilly music on the Sirius satellite radio, 4x4, & mud puddles do not lead to good decisions. :lol:

Actually, this was a good lesson to me about just thinking we could drive through anything because we had 4x4!! Can't wait for the next trip Memorial Weekend... 8)
Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
steamroll

Here is my version

http://sdkayakfishing.com/phpBB1/viewtopic.php?t=448
steamroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Ojos_raros

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
not really scary either, just got to keep your wits about you. Not sure I'd go solo
why the hell would you consider Baja scary? Mexicans are some of the most humble and friendly people on Earth. Ive traveled throughout todo Mexico solo sin problemas.
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
dmr

Chris, you guys probably could have made it if you were in 4wd from the beginning (of course, something other than street mud/snow tires would have helped too). In my experience, If you have 4wd use it, don't wait 'til you need it. Put it lowbox and crusie right through.

Brad's Subie probably could've planed right over it. I have one too, great little cars in snow and sand, not too sure about deep mud.

Looks like a great trip - thanks all from the reports.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Zed
BANNED

Thanks, Holy.

Any trip you walk away from is a good trip. Just a little dissapointed re the Meltdown aspect of the story. I envisioned more pyrotechnics.

Good reads.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos_raros
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
not really scary either, just got to keep your wits about you. Not sure I'd go solo
why the hell would you consider Baja scary? Mexicans are some of the most humble and friendly people on Earth. Ive traveled throughout todo Mexico solo sin problemas.
As I mentioned, I wrote this to a friend (in NY), not someone familiar witht he area or people. Sheesh. I was referring more to the driving conditions and general vibe than the people specifically. But there are definitely some weirdos down there too, as anywhere, and help can be much further away, so one just has to prepare accordingly. Reminds me of areas of the West or Appalachia. And I think we all learned the value of a solid long tow strap.

Quote:
more pyrotechnics
Maybe you had to be there, though the pyrotechnics were more personality than mechanical. Forrest was pretty flipped out though, and was trying to boss everybody to jump in the mud and lift the truck. Ken and I agreed that if we thought it would do anything we would, but there was no way 4-8 guys were gonna lift that thing free. With one unstuck vehicle, I was never concerned that we wouldn't figure something out relatively easily. Had we all been stuck and Steve not been down there, the problem would have been greater. Heck, we might have run out of beer.

I still don't know why he slept in his truck. Makes me laugh everytime I think about it. Funny guy though, glad to have had him along.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

In Forrest's defense, yes he was freaking out. It was his first time driving in baja, which could be a little freightening, esp after all the hype stories you hear about kidnappings, bad cops, federales, etc. We were seemingly in the middle of no where. I am not saying these things do not happen, they just do not live up to the hype. Hook 1 just had an unsavory experience with a Mexican Cop.

After that mud situation, Forrest was cool as can be. I would have cursed too after flipping on the water, and afterwards on shore. When I talked to him after landing, he lost Spy shades, two custom rods, a brand new calcutta, and a Cardiff, he had a good attitude, and a smile on his face. Heck I was pissed I lost my freaking boots in the mud quagmire on the first night, and had to go without shoes all weekend. I dont want anyone reading this thread to view Forrest in a bad light, he is good kid, and I hope he makes it back next time for a trouble free baja experience. He said he would!

Chris 8)
Old 01-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
madscientist

Maybe you should send him some flowers, Chris. :lol: Or go for a nice walk along the beach at sunset. :P I know you like that. :roll:
Old 01-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

somehow I knew you would respond... :roll:

Whoa this is the first time I took on someone on a thread, at least Brad is my friend... 8)
Old 01-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
steamroll

Forest was very cool about losing his gear in the surf. I would still be complaining. He handled it very well.

We sacraficed alot of shoes to the quicksand pit. Mike and I lost flip flops and Chris lost his boots.

Where's the sleepy tequila photo?

Brad, Ken, Steve, Dave and Crew,
I burned you all a copy of the 100 photos and videos. I'll give it to you next time I see you.
steamroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
madscientist

Thanks Nate. I don't mean to pick on Forrest, he held up well after the initial spazz and his reaction to his loss was very positive. But from the observer position I had, the whole truck thing was quite funny. Kind of like you guys laughing at Nate and Dave as they drug their yaks back to camp, never thinking to go help. I didn't get off my ass either, and I felt bad about it, until Dave said he privately hoped we all wiped out. Nice bunch.

"Come on guys, I want to see everyone in the mud" - Classic
(in a gay mudwrestling kind of way) :lol:
Old 01-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #16
Hook 1

Chris that cop was in my view was in trianning. I have been going to Baja
for about 30 years. This was the first time this has ever happened.
We did see 3 moto cops at the turn (bull ring). They looked like a wolf pack doing some scouting. I just wanted to be able to say "thats
never happen to me". I guess he tryed to break my cherry. There is a saying Good roads bad people, Bad roads good people. I love bad roads.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:22 PM   #17
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Gosh Brad, you sound like an ARROGANT BASTARD/IDIOT!! :twisted:

Bring my camera to LJ mañana biiatch.

I see ya at the launch in case you get stuck. :shock:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #18
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchfish
Gosh Brad, you sound like an ARROGANT BASTARD/IDIOT!! :twisted:

Bring my camera to LJ mañana biiatch.

I see ya at the launch in case you get stuck. :shock:

Ken
If I recall, you were chuckling as well. 8)
Old 01-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #19
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
ARROGANT BASTARD
I think this is a beer reference... or should I say Gasoline Ale reference!! :lol:

I copied Steamroll's videos here, pretty cool. Brad, you took forever getting in your yak! I guess we had more time than we thought during the lulls...

Click here to watch Chris-paddling

Click here to watch Dave-Easton-in-Colonet

Click here to watch Brad-launching
Old 01-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #20
madscientist

Nice commentary. What a bunch of a-holes, hoping I'd eat it. :lol: Bad karma, that. :P