Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Hook 1

Shake Down in TJ, Baja

Zed and I were enjoying the beautiful drive thru Tiajuana, Mex. on Sunday coming home from PST. With our windshield clean we were ready for the eye candy with cups and kids. As we get into line on the ramp a cop standing in the road points at his partner and says "Pull over there" so I did. Cop #2 says "there was a report that we were speeding down the hill." "What hill" said I, and he said "we had a report that you were speeding down the big hill". Ok, the big hill, which one was that. He said this about 2 more times. He looked at his partner and I think he pointed telling us to go ahead. So I did. Zed says what are you doing? "I'm driven" and that was the end of that. Some shake down. I thought they were better than that. Just love that last mental picture of Mexico....
A kid with a cup.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
kurt

"What hill" in Spanish must mean "I have no money". Lucky gringo!
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Obviously they didn't know who they were dealing with...better be prepared for you next time.
Should've called him a mandelon, they like that. :twisted:

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Sorry you had to deal with that Mark, and Zed. :?

I had an experience driving in baja, well a few, but I only wish to share this one... :lol: This is in no way to scare anyone from driving down there, as most of my trips go mostly without incident.

Here is my account of what happened. I was driving back to San Diego with about 35 lbs of left over croaker meat (this doesnt have anything to do with the story) and it was a busy holiday, I believe Labor Day, lots of traffico. I knew if busy there was a chance they would close the San Ysidro crossing, and re-route us to Otay. And they did...

First of all, it is a nightmare getting to Otay, as nothing is clearly marked, and using the "force" I was able to somehow navigate my way there. On the way up a hill, I saw an American pulled over by a motorcycle cop. I said "that sucks for him!"

About 5 minutes later, I see in my rear view mirror, the same motorcycle cop with his lights on. I had been in baja 5 days, hadnt had a shower, was sick of "squating," and camping, just wanted to get home. So I pull over, and he comes up and starts speaking Spanish. Now I speak ok Spanish, but not that good. So, I say "huh, what I am sorry I don't speak Spanish." He says, "no hables Espanol?" I say "no" Then in Perfect English, with a hint of Cockney, he says, "ok, the reason I pulled you over is becuase your kayaks are hanging off your rack too far, this is a $400 pesos fine ($40) in Mexico." I say "ok, I will move them back, sorry officer." He says "no this is a fine in Mexico, we will have to go to the station." I tell him have been there 5 days, and was over being in baja, and I am not going to the station for this ticket, I can pay him the fine. (basically bribe) BTW this is Bullsh*t!! They have to write you a ticket, there is a PO Box in America you can send your money order to, but I hadnt had that knowledge. Also, they have no computer system to keep track, so you never have to pay it. I hand him $10, he again tells me, "but this is a $40 ticket in Mexico," I pull out $10 more, and tell him, that is all, I need money to get accross the border. He shifts his eyes back and forth over his shoulder, and stuffs his money his pocket above his badge. He then tells me I can go, jokes about fishing, like an old army buddy, doesnt make me move my boats, and drives off. About 5 minutes up the road, another American is pulled over. I think I saw him reaching into his wallet.... But this is an anomoly... So enjoy baja...

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

There was time one time in Baja I was shook down by this Guerro hating vato, his name was....

MOLEFACE

I'm gonna get Froman to puy a hit on his punkass. :twisted:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:30 AM   #6
'Cuda

Consider it a "use" tax for all the memorable trips to Baja and the stuff we get away with down there....and the food, the tequila and friendly people, we are truly blessed to have such a beautiful country in our backyards.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Hook 1

Nice spin 'Cuda
Quote:
Consider it a "use" tax for all the memorable trips to Baja and the stuff we get away with down there
I buy all the legal stuff like boat permit, fishing lic. and I also tip well.
I don't like some I got a bagde pussy wanting my hard earned money for not a dam thing. It's not a tax. It's a f'n rip off.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
aguachico

I got popped speeding in a school zone in San Quintin. Cost me $400 pesos. That same fine would have cost me 10 times as much in the good old USA, plus insurance points.

Happily paying mordida to the federales and fichas to their sisters.

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote