Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Dennis

LJ 1/14

Not much to report. Wind was up and down. 1ft waves. Got to the launch at 0430, but didn't hit the water until 6 or so. Didn't make bait. Tossed and yo-yoed... Saw a lot of whales, though. Skies cleared up and wind died around 0900. That's it. Tough to hold your ground with the wind blowing. Met a couple of guys at the launch ( Jay, Jason, Pete, and Jr)... Nice meeting you guys. Of the water at 1030... Sold the yak, then off to SquidCo...
Good luck.
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

no turds on the yoyo sandbass master..?
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Sounds kind of like my day today. Launch at 5:15ish Made bait in grey light past the yellow buoy then dragged them stopping to yoyo often. Lots of shcools of macs on the canyon edge. Wind came back up on the way in. Landed about noon. Talked to some kayak freedivers at the launch. Those guys had some nice Sheepheads.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Dennis

No, Ryan. :lol:
Old 01-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Spinal Tap

I was one of the divers. Not much to report. The water was cold and we got all the sheephead on the bottom in the kelp from 45'-50'.

Nice day. Here's a more detailed report:

I went out with a couple guys to do some diving. I think the last time we've been in the water was ove the Thanksgiving weekend.

We got out to the kelp bed straight out from the hotel. The bottom was at 55' according to my dive watch. The water was 57 and calm. The vis. varied from 12' to 25' in some places. There was absolutely no signs of life throughout most of the kelp bed. I saw about a dozen smelt and two calicos at about 35' but decided not to shoot them.

I ended the day with about a 5lb sheephead that I got off the bottom at about 45' of water. It's nice being back on the water.

Oh, I couldn't get comfortable for the first hour or so due to the eery calm of the water and the lack of life. But after seeing a soufin shark, I got more comfortable. Too bad it was swimming kind of aggressively because it smelled the blood from my buddy's fish.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Dennis

Nate,
Did you go off of kayak or dingy? I saw both, but didn't know it was you.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Spinal Tap

Dennis,

I borrowed a kayak from a buddy. We were the group of three and my two buddies had dive flags on their yaks. The zodiac guys were scuba diving/spearing. They got less fish than we did...and the fish were smaller :lol:

Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote