Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Dail14

San Diego bay morning with insane mystery fish

I launched at tidelands around 5:30 and caught some smelt for bait. I was targeting hallibut but kept catching spotties. After a few hours I had drifted south of the bridge when some guy decides to drive his giant yacht about 15 yards from me. Instantly my rod goes off at such a fast pace I thought for sure my line got sucked up into his propellor. After about 6 seconds my deadline real which I just filled with new 40# line is 3/4 empty. At this point the line is now going a different direction from the boat so I'm sure it's not in the propellor but I still don't know of anything that can strip line this fast in the bay. I finnaly got the rod in gear and my rod completely bends over and instantly the line goes slack and the rod relaxes. It takes almost 2 minutes of dealing to get all my line back in and the only thing that was missing was the smelt I used for bait. This was all in about 8 foot of water. The only thing I can come up with is that a bat Ray was mouthing my bait and got spooked when the boat drove over it. Anyone else have any ideas as to what has this power and goes this shallow? My final count was 3 spotties landed and two lost. 20-30 feet of water seemed to be the magic depth.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Seals have a knack for taking bait without getting hooked
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Dail14

No seals were in the area. I dont think I have even seen one that far back in the bay. Other fisherman would have been having the same thing happen to them as well since there were tons of other fisherman out there.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
silentsmell

Mud marlin? What technique do you use to catch smelt?
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Fishin Phil

Shovelnose sharks can get big in the bay. My largest was a 52 inch female that ran 22 lbs.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
octico

Might have been a MidShipman ...
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Ggiannig89

black sea bass could be a possibility. I know a few people have caught them in that area.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Dail14

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsmell View Post
Mud marlin? What technique do you use to catch smelt?
I found some near a dock and used a sabiki.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Dail14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
black sea bass could be a possibility. I know a few people have caught them in that area.
I was in less than 10 feet of water. Do large black Sea Bass come in that shallow?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail14 View Post
I was in less than 10 feet of water. Do large black Sea Bass come in that shallow?
I wouldn't assume so, but then again I wouldn't even assume they would go into the bay. More then likely it was a bat Ray but you just never know.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
jorluivil

I didn't see it but I'm guessing it was either a big eye or a marlin.......could have also been a 50lb lizard fish

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Rufus

SEAL delivery vehicle headed down to the Coronado Cays for a wild house party.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #13
ful-rac
Emperor

Here is an artists rendition...

Old 07-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
Sheephead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail14 View Post
I launched at tidelands around 5:30 and caught some smelt for bait. I was targeting hallibut but kept catching spotties. After a few hours I had drifted south of the bridge when some guy decides to drive his giant yacht about 15 yards from me. Instantly my rod goes off at such a fast pace I thought for sure my line got sucked up into his propellor. After about 6 seconds my deadline real which I just filled with new 40# line is 3/4 empty. At this point the line is now going a different direction from the boat so I'm sure it's not in the propellor but I still don't know of anything that can strip line this fast in the bay. I finnaly got the rod in gear and my rod completely bends over and instantly the line goes slack and the rod relaxes. It takes almost 2 minutes of dealing to get all my line back in and the only thing that was missing was the smelt I used for bait. This was all in about 8 foot of water. The only thing I can come up with is that a bat Ray was mouthing my bait and got spooked when the boat drove over it. Anyone else have any ideas as to what has this power and goes this shallow? My final count was 3 spotties landed and two lost. 20-30 feet of water seemed to be the magic depth.
I'd say it could have been a dolphin or a bat ray. I typically fish for rays south of the bridge(searching for that 200lber) but one time when I was chumming I attracted a school of dolphins. I was fishing with live smelt, like you, and they took two of my baits and ran with them. 10 seconds later they did a couple flips and leaps out of the water and... you guys can probably imagine the tangles I had to deal with after they let go.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
Dail14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheephead View Post
I'd say it could have been a dolphin or a bat ray. I typically fish for rays south of the bridge(searching for that 200lber) but one time when I was chumming I attracted a school of dolphins. I was fishing with live smelt, like you, and they took two of my baits and ran with them. 10 seconds later they did a couple flips and leaps out of the water and... you guys can probably imagine the tangles I had to deal with after they let go.
That could be a possibility. I have seen dolphins around the bridge. Not that day but they do spend more time underwater between breaths than the seals. It could have snuck over no issue without me ever seeing it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk