Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Newport Rockfishing Help

Hey guys, with the red tide going on in la jolla I have made it a goal of mine to get to know local waters better. I was wondering if I could get any pointers in the right direction for rockfishing out of Newport. I don't need any numbers or anything, I don't want to steal any spots, however just a general idea of where to find fish so I can learn for myself. Should I be launching in the harbor, what depth should I be looking for? Anything that would help I really appreciate!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

straight out the harbor and get to about 150-200 feet deep. you should be able to find some there. finder helps with finding the drop off and depth. its all i know kthxbye
Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

You cant steal rockfish spots in np because they always move. I was in an area that was producing fat reds last week. .... today, nothing but croaker. There is not alot of major structure in Newport so the RF bed down on small shelves, dropoffs.... When you do find a school dont take your sweet time, you can lose a school just as fast as you found it and spend the rest of the day combing the desert. Good luck

P.s. 185' is a good place to start looking for fish marks if you have a ff. 185-205 is where you will have the most success

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Thanks to both of you I really appreciate it! I will give it a try this week
Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
You cant steal rockfish spots in np because they always move. I was in an area that was producing fat reds last week. .... today, nothing but croaker. There is not alot of major structure in Newport so the RF bed down on small shelves, dropoffs.... When you do find a school dont take your sweet time, you can lose a school just as fast as you found it and spend the rest of the day combing the desert. Good luck

P.s. 185' is a good place to start looking for fish marks if you have a ff. 185-205 is where you will have the most success
SPOT ON
Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
silentviper

This thread could not have been better timed! Thanks guys! I was planning on making a thread exactly like this on account of my plans to head out tomorrow. Not to risk thread jacking but has coast guard beach been busy lately? Should i get there super early to get a parking spot?
silentviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Well... there goes my honey hole.

Just kidding. I might be going out there this sunday when the swell is dropped off a bit. If you wanna join just pm me, that goes for anyone else who might wanna join. Its always nice to have some company out there.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Thanks so much to all of you. Socal_matt i might be out there sunday, I will pm you when I know for sure

Tags
newport, newport harbor, rock fish