Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
The Freediver

Fishing tomorrow in Cabrillo...

I'm going to be fishing and targeting halibut primarily tomorrow at sunrise or so. Is there any launch area for kayaks around there so I can launch without paying and be able to be close to the bait dock at the Northern end of LA harbor?

Also, if anyone is out there tomorrow around the same time and wants to say hi I'm in an orange Ocean Kayak Big Game. I don't normally post like this online since I'm more of a loner when it comes to kayak fishing but thought it would be nice to share reports on the water perhaps and meet some new people. I've been freediving for so long I have been out of the rod and reel scene for the most part but my love for it has come back after pulling on some nice halibut lately. Anybody who wants to stop by and say hi please do. I shouldn't stray too far from the ramp and Angel's Gate since I have to work in the afternoon.

Ben
Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
jorluivil

LLaunch from the boat launch, peddle/paddle past the Lane Victory, bait barge will be right past it. Its about 2 miles from the launch to Angels Gate. Watch the wind, the last time I was there a paddler had to get towed back in by the lifeguard boat.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 08-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
packeryakker

I might be at Cabrillo tomorrow if so I will stop and say Hi.
packeryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
The Freediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeryakker View Post
I might be at Cabrillo tomorrow if so I will stop and say Hi.
Cool man. I'll look for ya.

As far as the wind goes I know!!! I used to have a few fish and dives back in the day and got almost to the point where I couldn't paddle back.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
jorluivil

The only place where you can park for free is on the street just outside the main entrance on the beach side near Point Fermin. I don't know what kind of parking restrictions they have on that street but that's really your only bet. Its not a long walk to the launch sites in the morning but in the afternoon after fighting the winds a 200yard yard may feel like 200miles.

Last edited by jorluivil; 08-09-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
The Freediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
The only place where you can park for free is on the street just outside the main entrance on the beach side near Point Fermi. I don't know what kind of parking restrictions they have on that street but that's really your only bet. Its not a long walk to the launch sites in the morning but in the afternoon after fighting the winds a 200yard yard may feel like 200miles.
That's what I thought. I just figured I should take my boat with a bait tank and have some comfort if I have to pay to park/launch. Kayak is much faster to load and unload and dont have the towing to deal with.
Kayak it is
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

Hey Jorge is that considered a state beach, thinkin about buying that parking pass...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Hey Jorge is that considered a state beach, thinkin about buying that parking pass...

Doesn't appear on the list....bummer

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1049

Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
The Freediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Doesn't appear on the list....bummer

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1049
I have a state park pass and dont think it works there. If it did I've been paying for too many years there.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
bellcon

Not a state beach, passes will not work at Cabrillo or at Royal Palms "State Beach"
One side of Cabrillo is run by the city of LA the other by the County of LA

If you want to launch before the gates open or do not want to pay for parking you can park on Stephen M. White Drive above the south entrance (down from 36th street)

or there is a parking lot where Shoshonean Road crosses Via Cabrillo marina, which is at the north entrance (down from 22nd street)

If you are fishing the harbor both are fairly long walks south maybe a bit shorter with a hill north a bit longer but flat.

Good luck