Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
BrokeLoser

Pro Angler...rigging questions?

I've noticed most people locate their fish-finders and rod holders on the black side rails of their PA's...I've seen some with both rails fully loaded. I don't understand how you guys are able to bounce fish over the rails, lean out and net or gaff and keep from tangling your line around your rail trinkets without being overly cautious. How is this working for you? Is it as bad as it seems like it would be?
I mounted my FF off the sail mount; yes, it's hard to reach but it's 100% out of the way. I can't figure out how to keep rod holders out of the way though? Any suggestions?

BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

I suggest you take that brand new PA...and go fishing and figure out where YOU like things to be. For me i have my fish finder and rod holders attached to the mounting boards, it works out fine...for me... I never bounce fish into my kayak, i usually lift them, so hanging on rod holders is not a problem. Being within reach my fishfinder is very important to me, i have to mark waypoints, switch between chart, sonar, tracks, trails....all the good stuff. Dont worry about what everyone else does...take it out and do what works for you.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I suggest you take that brand new PA...and go fishing and figure out where YOU like things to be. Being within reach my fishfinder is very important to me, i have to mark waypoints, switch between chart, sonar, tracks, trails....all the good stuff. Dont worry about what everyone else does...take it out and do what works for you.

what a great answer!

http://www.savecafishing.org/
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I suggest you take that brand new PA...and go fishing and figure out where YOU like things to be. For me i have my fish finder and rod holders attached to the mounting boards, it works out fine...for me... I never bounce fish into my kayak, i usually lift them, so hanging on rod holders is not a problem. Being within reach my fishfinder is very important to me, i have to mark waypoints, switch between chart, sonar, tracks, trails....all the good stuff. Dont worry about what everyone else does...take it out and do what works for you.

I have fished it...and the side rails seem like a place I'd definitely want clear for practical reasons. I can't be the only one that feels this way..hopefully my concerns can't seem that far fetched? I'm 6 foot 3 and 240lbs I don't know how I'd even get in and out of the thing if both my rails were cluttered. I would have thought that most people fishing a PA or any kayak would have had the same concerns. I guess I figured most must be rigging the side rails due to there not really being another logical option so I thought I'd ask.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
bellcon

Brokeloser
When I bought my PA it had a pair of those Ram Tubes on the mounting boards, just like in your photo
On the first trip one of them busted at the ball mount when I tried to adjust it. Never used them again.

Some guys like their kayaks to be as crowded as Neil Pearts drum kit
Personally I like as little as possible in the way.

I have my sonar mounted at the sail mast (easy for me to reach when needed) and one Scotty rail mount (#245) on each side rail.

I may experiment with some different rod holders, but I'm happy with the sonar up front out of the way, it's clean, easy to remove and not one hole drilled in the kayak.

Tony (Neil Peart) Full-rac's answer was still a good one!
It's all about what works best for you.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Baja_Traveler

Personally, I try to mount important stuff as close to the seat as possible for easy reach - especially the fish finder - and then I mount it on my weak side. For me my strong side is on my left, so I'll try to maneuver fish or lobster hoops to that side, so I try to keep it open as much as possible. But if there was no choice but to land from the right, the finder is far enough back to not get in the way. Rod holders can be far enough forward that if I have to lean forward to get to them it's really no big deal. That leaves a large gap on the right side between "stuff" in the way, and the whole left side back of the rod holder is wide open.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Check it out brokeloser, heres another option All my accesories are mounted on the rails using the yakattack gear track, my fishfinder/rod holders....if i want the deck clear all i have to do is just remove everything and i have a clear deck. Makes it nice when switching from one type of fishing to the next.

Heres a picture of the rails with the gear track attached...nevermind that yellowtail...
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
BrokeLoser

I think it's just going to come down to the ole'; which is the 'lesser of the evils' for me. I'd obviously prefer everything right in my face and easily accessible I just don't know if I want to have to worry about dodging obstacles while trying to land a 35# fish. I keep imagining gaffing a big fish and in the heat of battle trying to bring him over the rail between a fish finder and a rod holder without breaking him or other sh!t off and it just seems inevitable in my head. This is obviously all moot with smaller fish that you can 'steer' around.
I like that gear track idea a lot...not sure if I can bring myself to drilling 32 new holes in my new PA though....does it use some of the existing O.E. holes?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

How much stuff are you mounting up front? How many rods are you really planning on using at one time? One soaking bait and one catching bait?

I have my FF and a Scotty mount both on the right side. My rod tip can go either direction for drifting. The left side is clear for boarding
Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
How much stuff are you mounting up front? How many rods are you really planning on using at one time? One soaking bait and one catching bait?

I have my FF and a Scotty mount both on the right side. My rod tip can go either direction for drifting. The left side is clear for boarding
Just two ram mounts with rod holders and an FF.
By default I was planning on the same ole'; FF and Ram on one rail and one Ram on the other rail...then I took it fishing, thought about it and imagined it and wanted to reconsider....I'm just not sure there are many options...haha
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I think it's just going to come down to the ole'; which is the 'lesser of the evils' for me. I'd obviously prefer everything right in my face and easily accessible I just don't know if I want to have to worry about dodging obstacles while trying to land a 35# fish. I keep imagining gaffing a big fish and in the heat of battle trying to bring him over the rail between a fish finder and a rod holder without breaking him or other sh!t off and it just seems inevitable in my head. This is obviously all moot with smaller fish that you can 'steer' around.
I like that gear track idea a lot...not sure if I can bring myself to drilling 32 new holes in my new PA though....does it use some of the existing O.E. holes?

Thanks guys!
Dont worry about drilling holes, im sure you know that the boards are completely replaceable. If you dont like it buy new boards.

As far as gaffing and bringing on fish...I think your over thinking it, its not that hard. There is plenty of space between the mounting boards and the seat you are probably going to lift your fish over the grab rails instead of the mounting boards.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
jorluivil

When I bought my Outback I mounted the FF using one of those wedge mounts....no drilling, no gluing, no screwing. However, after a couple of trips I began get fed up with the fact that I couldn't easily reach the FF because of where it was mounted. I decided to look at where some of the other yakkers mounted their FF and asked a few questions......before you know it I started drilling, gluing and screwing.

If gaffing is a concern just mount the FF opposite to whatever side you normally gaff your fish: I gaff my fish on my right side so I mounted my FF on my left side.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
Drake

I think what Tony is saying is spot on. Everyone has their own style. If anyone has cluttered rails, it's Tony. He can control the space station from his rig.

If you watch this video you'll see 3 separate gaff shots. The fish never comes into the boat over the rails, so even if I did have accessories they wouldn't be in the way.

If the fish is coming over the rails you're obviously leaned pretty far forward. Pulling the fish straight up from your side gives you the most lifting power and reduces the risk of the fish coming off the gaff. Lets just be clear, halibut are a different story