Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you released a yellowtail from the kayak?
Yes 13 48.15%
No 11 40.74%
I would never do that, are you crazy? 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Catch and Release Yellowtail

Poll for you guys going into this summer:

Who on here has released a yellowtail from the kayak? This time of year those fish are getting heavily fished by sportboats, commercial boats, and kayaks alike. The big mossbacks we target are all important breeders, so why not? In the age of gopros and smart phones, you're going to be able to document the catch. And I know many of you have a bunch of fish just sitting in a freezer somewhere...

Not counting tiny rats (which I hope all of you would release) how many can say they have let go a big yt?

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
socal.beach.bum

Gotta catch one first before I can make that decision 😒
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
FullFlavorPike

I would do it if I had more than I could use, and if it obviously wasn't a new PR. But first I need to get this stinky, stinky skunk stench off of me :/
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
fishnfoool

I never voluntarily release them because my friends, family and I eat them.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
jkim0130

Yes, if I had enough in the freezer.

Thanks for the video. I was wondering how I would release a YT.
jkim0130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
kurt

Absolutely. But if you release a tired one when a sealion is around, they won't last long.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Caught and kept one on Saturday a few weeks ago. Caught and released 3 more on Sunday, and left them biting. The one I kept was #27, and the ones I released were around the same size. I don't keep any more than I am willing to professionally vacuum seal myself, or than I can fit in my freezer. In my experience, giving away fish to friends in general, you might as well throw away about 50%. I try to stick with the ones that can tell me what species they like to eat, and how they like to prepare it.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
Oolie
Headshots Only

Highly situational. I've released fish before, but most of the time there's someone out there who's hungry.

With proper care you can sit on a dead fish for 5 days before it is too late, though this is species and size dependent.

Good fighting technique, dispatch technique, and good care will help the fish last to it's maximum potential, and you can share it.

Then again I can't buy fish anywhere remotely close to the quality I can produce myself. That's probably the biggest motivator for keeping a fish.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
FISH11

Talking

I have released many in the last 4 years. Last year I released all the yellowtail I caught, mostly due to being the only one in the household that eats fish and still had some in the freezer. Than in late october 2019, I said to myself the next yellowtail over 25 lb I will keep. So you provably guessed what happened next. I have had multiple hits and not a single l landed yellowtail since then. I thought I had built up a lot of good karma. Still working on the next harvest, but yellowtail fishing has been very slow. It appears that in the last 8 months, "It's been more about being in the right place at the right time". One thing is for sure, the couch at home, IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE!
Old 07-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #10
ctfphoto

Yes, if you plan on doing this, you can grab the yellowtail by the tail.

Last fall, on a private boat, we (had to) release over 10 Yellowfin Tuna
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #11
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Caught and kept one on Saturday a few weeks ago. Caught and released 3 more on Sunday, and left them biting. The one I kept was #27, and the ones I released were around the same size. I don't keep any more than I am willing to professionally vacuum seal myself, or than I can fit in my freezer. In my experience, giving away fish to friends in general, you might as well throw away about 50%. I try to stick with the ones that can tell me what species they like to eat, and how they like to prepare it.
This is good advise. I Haven't landed a YT from the yak so I cant say that I have had the chance to release one, but I would likely keep one or two (if smaller grade) and turn the others back to fight again. I know that I eat/use all of the fish I keep, even it means it might get a little frost bite if I have a large stock. I don't like to kill fish if im being honest, so when I do, I want that fish to be eaten and not just die in vain.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:17 AM   #12
Harry Hill

I haven't been fishing for them yet from my kayak so if I caught one when I get out there I won't release it unless it's too small. I don't give fish away unless I know the person will actually eat it and not take it just to be polite. I don't fish enough to have a freezer full. If I had one on the stringer though I would release any others I caught that day. So yes and no, it all depends on the situation.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Hey Greg,

I know it's been in a thread before, but what vacuum sealer do you use?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #14
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #15
Iceman
Administrator

Love that shot Ken, think that was after striking out looking for tuna off La Jolla, I highly recommend this hands free technique for juvenile WSB as they are super fragile!
Old 07-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #16
Salty Paw
Junior

Question - I've always been operating under the rule that you couldn't take YTs <24", but someone recently pointed out the full language of the regs, which state:

"The minimum size limit is 24 inches fork length, except that up to five fish less than 24 inches fork length may be taken or possessed."

Does that really mean there is no size limit if you're taking <5 fish? Do people actually keep small ones?
Salty Paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #17
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Hey Greg,

I know it's been in a thread before, but what vacuum sealer do you use?
VacMaster, mine is the VP215. They make several models/sizes. large initial investment, but last forever, and bags are pretty inexpensive. Once you see (and taste) the difference between one of these and one of the standard "vacuum" sealers, you will want one.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #18
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Paw View Post

Does that really mean there is no size limit if you're taking <5 fish?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Paw View Post
Do people actually keep small ones?
Also, yes
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:03 AM   #19
monstahfish

I'd say I release more than I keep by a good margin. I also only fish circle hooks with bait as it's a cleaner release. My freezer is almost empty though so I may keep my next one if I remember to bring my cooler bag.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #20
globalwad
Junior

I actually don't keep any fish, gross. But man are they fun to catch!
globalwad is offline   Reply With Quote