Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

La Jolla 9/17

It's been a slow and disappointing summer for me as far as fishing goes. I have not had the time to hone my skills very much and it shows. Last Thursday I posted an invitation to anyone who possessed some fishing expertise, to be my fishing partner for a day at La Jolla. A couple of people told me that they would be on the water that day. I was hopeful that I could hook up with someone who might pass on a tip or two that could get me pointed in the right direction. I ended up hitting the jackpot

I missed the early launch, arriving at the gentlemanly hour of about 7:00. As I was gearing up, some yahoo in a beat up BMW with it Hobie Revo strapped to the roof came blasting through the soft sand at the Launch. It was my friend, the Darkhorse. It was his day off, so of course he decided to go fishing.

After giving my gear the once over and informing me that it was mostly crap, Josh asked me if I would like to tag along with him for the day. I had never actually fished with Josh so I quickly accepted the invitation. After doing what he could to make my tackle usable we waded through the pounding 12 inch surf and headed out to make bait. This would be my first lesson of the day.

Josh, as anyone who knows him will confirm, is pretty good at his job. He has a lot of trade secrets that are only shared with his clients, but this day he shared a few with me. We made bait, peddled to the "spot" and started trolling. As it turns out, the "spot" is a pretty big area. There are some broad characteristics that define the "spot", but basically it is somewhere off La Jolla, south of the pier, north of PB and east of Hawaii. I was warned over and over to stay away from surface kelp, because with my gear, I would surely lose any fish I happened to hook. So we fished the deep water.

After an hour or so of trolling, I got the first hit. Of course, I messed up while trying to set the hook and lost the opportunity. Josh, as one would expect, was the first to hook up. He expertly fought the fish and landed it in a few short minutes. He yelled at me to quickly break out my camera and take a few shots of his catch. His urgency became clear as I saw him gently release a 20# YT a few seconds after the photos were taken.

Now I am a big C & R fan but releasing a 20# YT, that's nuts. When I tried to tell him that he was crazy, Josh informed me that he releases far more fish than he keeps. I guess that makes sense if you fish for a living and you do not sell the fish you catch. Having never caught a yellowtail that size, it still pained me a bit. When were the fishing gods going to smile on me?

A little while later, Josh and I are trolling side by side and I get hit... big time. My reel was filled with 65# spectra that instantly snapped as soon as I put the reel in gear. The only thing I can think might have happened is that the line was defective or somehow got a nick 100 feet into the spool. Somewhere out there is a big fish dragging 100 feet of green spectra. If anyone catches that fish, please return my hook.

The next few hours were filled with more of the same, trolling back and forth, back and forth. Occasionally one of us would get hit but we just could not close the deal. A quarter mile away, we heard a joyful shout. It was Chris, one of the Darkhorse's clients, hooked up. The "spot" was full of dogs who had been taking our bait with regularity. I saw one of them heading at mach 2 towards Chris's kayak, just as he was getting close to landing his prize.

Like a mother hen trying to protect one of her chicks, Josh took off and peddled to the rescue. I am not sure what he hoped to do to distract the seal but he must have done something as Chris was able to land his fish without teeth marks. It was about the same size as the one Josh had caught earlier. Good on you, Chris. His catch inspired me to stick with this gig for a little longer.

By that time I had been on the water for over seven hours. I had not planned to be out that long. I had not eaten breakfast and did not pack a lunch. All I had with me was some water and a couple of beers. I was thrashed. I started whining about wanting to head in but Josh and Eric, (La Jolla's newest fishing guide), who had joined our little band, shamed me into staying. Good thing.

A good omen appeared in the shape of a couple of party boats. The seals that had been shadowing us for hours quickly left for the greener pastures of PB chum. With the dogs gone, I started what I had vowed to be my last troll and was hit hard. This time I did everything right. My gear held up and with a little gentle coaxing from Josh, (yeah, right), I landed my first big fish from a kayak. I was thrilled, and exhausted.

Now I know that my 20 pound YT is not a big fish by big fish standards, but everything is relative. To me, it was as if I had just landed Moby Dick, so please don't bust my bubble.

If you stuck with this story long enough to get to this line, there is a message to take with you. Don't give up. There are fish out there and you can catch them. It helps if you know what you are doing and experienced guides like Josh and others can surely help. I'm just glad that I ran into Josh on his day off.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 09-20-2009 at 07:05 AM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Spyder

Congrats on that 1st big yak yeller.

AWESOME story. Thanks for sharing.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Great write up, nice , now go put some aloe on those legs...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Hypoxic1

Bob !!! Congratulations !! Thursday was a rocking day out there . It was nice to run into you and Josh in the morning and afternoon. That fish must have hit you not long after I headed in. Those dogs were brutal but you got one past em. Thats a great pic of you and your prize!!

Chris

Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
yani

Bob, congrats on a great day and super experience
with Josh. Now get ready to get PM'd to death about
what secret bullet Josh has shared with you!
See you on the water. Yani
Old 09-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
whitedog

good job

We were making bait next to you three. Only thing we hooked into was sea dog. Took out the soon to be father in law from Indiana and got the skunk. Landed around 2ish it was a good time anyway told him you guys were going to have some fun because of your Darkhorse fish magnet. Told him we needed to have one installed soon. Thanks for the post see you guy's around. Oh and Good job!
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Billy V

Good for you Bob. I'm sure you learned many-a-lesson fishing with Josh.

Time on the water is the one most overlooked. Reading, and fishing the conditions may be the hardest to master.

-And lastly-
Always bring food, even if you swear you will be in by 11am. and were not hungry before you left.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
bellcon

Congrats Bob on a great catch
bet it was worth the wait
and has fueled the fire!

wtg Josh on another great c&r...epic sportsmanship
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
DESTROYER

Josh~ Nice catch, but Halloween is nest month
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
j mo

You judge a fisherman by the company he keeps!

Bob very stoked for you way to go!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
TCS

That is a great story

Thanks for sharing it.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
yakrider

no one will burst your bubble my friend...
it is your bubble...
only you can burst it...
that is one nice fish...
I'm with you...I do not need a 40 lber to make me feel good...
I'll take a fish like yours any day of the year!!!!
congrats one the YT...
and Josh...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
Whizz Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
By that time I had been on the water for over seven hours. I had not planned to be out that long. I had not eaten breakfast and did not pack a lunch. All I had with me was some water and a couple of beers. I was thrashed. I started whining about wanting to head in but Josh and Eric, (La Jolla's newest fishing guide), who had joined our little band, shamed me into staying. Good thing.

Bob
LMAO.... I would make my clients as angry and unsatisfied as Josh's are happy....with their bent rods, big fish, and smiles....damn.

Awesome story. Well written...the appropriate touch of humor....nice fish pic....really well done, and excellent use of paragraphs/

It was great to meet you the other day. Im really glad you stuck it out. The opportunity to fish with "The Man With The White Face", should not be taken lightly. I tell everyone of his clients I meet (and I meet alot of them) that I am incredibly jealous....and I am. If I had the money I would hire that guy like once a week. I have a notebook full of questions for him that I refuse to ask him until I am a paying customer out of a misguided sense of decorum. After you left I pilfered a couple more baits from Josh and couldnt help but ask a couple of rather harmless questions that slipped out before discretion got the better part of me, however, I still logged a zero. This is OK by me, watching you and Chris land your fish was awesome...made my day.

In my opinion there are two ways to SUCCESSFULLY fish LJ.....
1.Time on Water.
Guys talk alot about putting in time on the water and paying their dues. This is often referenced by guys who fish LJ once a month..maybe. Putting in your dues is fishing LJ 2-3 times a week(more if you are single or dont have children). The mandate for this strategy is a willingness to learn, adapt, and change things up. Fish may not be hitting what they were last week. Fish may not be where they were last week, they have fins. Yesterday's golden sabiki may not catch more than lizard fish today. You probably WILL have to paddle your ass off. If you commit to this strategy, the learning curve will be steep, the rewards, though often meager, will feel immense when they do come, and with time they will most certainly come. This is the path I have chosen, and Josh rarely misses a chance to give me sh!t over the blood, sweat, and tears I have shed on that beautiful stretch of water. Of course, there is another way...another path to glory. It's path does not meander. Its hardship is minimal. The payout, often awe inspiring.

2. Hire Josh. You, Bob, chose wisely.

Congratulations on an awesome fish. He looks delicious.

Eric

Last edited by Whizz Bang; 09-20-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
bigbarrels

congrats on the YT and I hope your sunburned legs recover quickly.....Josh is the man!! All my gear changed after talking with him this past winter and he has given me same great insight on how to fish La Jolla....now if I could just catch some fish Congrats again!!!!
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #15
undrH2Ohntr

Congrat's on a beautiful fish.
undrH2Ohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
Tandem Assassin

Gun For Hire

I had the privledge of fishing with the man with the white face recently and saw a lot of this.
Attached Images

Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
LMAO.... I would make my clients as angry and unsatisfied as Josh's are happy....with their bent rods, big fish, and smiles....damn.

Awesome story. Well written...the appropriate touch of humor....nice fish pic....really well done, and excellent use of paragraphs/

It was great to meet you the other day. Im really glad you stuck it out. The opportunity to fish with "The Man With The White Face", should not be taken lightly. I tell everyone of his clients I meet (and I meet alot of them) that I am incredibly jealous....and I am. If I had the money I would hire that guy like once a week. I have a notebook full of questions for him that I refuse to ask him until I am a paying customer out of a misguided sense of decorum. After you left I pilfered a couple more baits from Josh and couldnt help but ask a couple of rather harmless questions that slipped out before discretion got the better part of me, however, I still logged a zero. This is OK by me, watching you and Chris land your fish was awesome...made my day.

In my opinion their are two ways to SUCCESSFULLY fish LJ.....
1.Time on Water.
Guys talk alot about putting in time on the water and paying their dues. This is often referenced by guys who fish LJ once a month..maybe. Putting in your dues is fishing LJ 2-3 times a week(more if you are single or dont have children). The mandate for this strategy is a willingness to learn, adapt, and change things up. Fish may not be hitting what they were last week. Fish may not be where they were last week, they have fins. Yesterday's golden sabiki may not catch more than lizard fish today. You probably WILL have to paddle your ass off. If you commit to this strategy, the learning curve will be steep, the rewards, though often meager, will feel immense when they do come, and with time they will most certainly come. This is the path I have chosen, and Josh rarely misses a chance to give me sh!t over the blood, sweat, and tears I have shed on that beautiful stretch of water. Of course, there is another way...another path to glory. It's path does not meander. Its hardship is minimal. The payout, often awe inspiring.

2. Hire Josh. You, Bob, chose wisely.

Congratulations on an awesome fish. He looks delicious.

Eric

So you can either

1) Earn your fish

or

2) pay someone for your a fish?

sounds like a lot of people are taking the easy way out these days... congrats none the less.

Landing that fish was all you I'm sure, which is a great feat in itself! Good job on that!

Now go get one on your own!

Last edited by dos ballenas; 09-20-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: sppeleng chalinged
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
So you can either

1) Earn your fish

or

2) pay someone for your a fish?

sounds like a lot of people are taking the easy way out these days... congrats none the less.

Landing that fish was all you I'm sure, which is a great feat in itself! Good job on that!

Now go get one on your own!
I'm not sure what you are getting at with the above comment. If your point is that those who hire a guide to help learn how to be more successful are somehow less worthy than those who learn on their own, I have to disagree.

There are many ways to become educated. Some are free, others are quite costly, (20k a year for my son's college tuition is one educational expense that comes to mind). Many of us have taken lessons from a golf or tennis pro. This is no different.

You are right about one thing, however. Now that I have been given the lesson, I need to take what I have learned and apply this knowledge on my own. The mid-term exam will be held somewhere off LJ next week. I will let you know how I do on the test.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
yani

So, you can:

"1) Earn your fish
or
2) pay someone for your a fish?"

must you must educated yourself, since I can't imagine
you sitting thru years of tax paid education and turning
out this smart. Yani, yellow fishndive, fat wallet.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
NextBite

nice 's