Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #21
StinkyMatt

$1.99 AutoZone on the trailer ones.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #22
GregAndrew

I have had some success with goop applied to the piece of velcro attached to the hull. But if you can handle a permanent application then 5200 or epoxy should do the trick. Use a wide piece or a couple of narrower pieces.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #23
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I have had some success with goop applied to the piece of velcro attached to the hull. But if you can handle a permanent application then 5200 or epoxy should do the trick. Use a wide piece or a couple of narrower pieces.

I want to install some eyelets inside my hull, does the 5200 hold pretty well? I've seen some guys use Marine Goop but I can't imagine it having good holding power.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #24
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Fish View Post
Bob, do you know how much they cost at the hardware supply you mentioned? .
I have not been to this place in a while. It is called Marshalls, BTW. You could call them and check the price. I think it is higher than what you found online. Keep in mind that there are three components, the case and both male and female pins, all sold separately.

As for securing your battery box to the hull, Velcro works fine for lightweight batteries but if you use one of the big ones, you will probably find that the Velcro will not hold.

I ended up gooping a couple pad-eyes to the hull on either side of the case and running a webbing strap through the eyes and over the battery box. It has held everything in place for a few years without a problem.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #25
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I've seen some guys use Marine Goop but I can't imagine it having good holding power.
scuff the surface and it will have plenty of holding power
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #26
sasha

Those connections that Hobie is using are made by GM they been using them on cars for years now. Jeep been using them as well. The best price you can get on them would be to go to a junk yard find any GM car and cut them out of the harness. Make sure you have enough wire left to solder your wires to it. Use proper heatshrink tubing for marine and they would work great. Before you plug both sides use some grease and it would be ok. Seen lots of guys build 4WD trucks that can do some water crossing with zero problems as long as intake and exh and the driver stay above the water. Just make sure you do use plenty of proper grease.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
go to a junk yard find any GM car and cut them out of the harness.
That is a great idea! Cheap, & effective!
I am using this style of connector and have never had a problem... If only Hobie's bait tank switches were that reliable!

Andy, as usual, is spot on... marine goop with a good scuffing will hold just about anything you need!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #28
sammysamsam

Looks like a lot of you guys have gone through this already. Thanks to everyone for the ideas.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #29
sammysamsam

Quote:
Bob, do you know how much they cost at the hardware supply you mentioned? The link I provided sells them for $4-$5 a pair which is not much more than the "trailer" connection. You can also purchase replacement "tips" for repairs if need be (i.e. replacement of wires). The link I provided has free shipping and they do ship fast. I have purchased all of my additional connectors from them.

Here is the link once more:http://www.performanceplusconnection...2033729g2oycnn
& their ebay link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weath...#ht_2191wt_940

You can always epoxy the velcro to the hull.

Also note that both types of connectors are "weather proof" not "WATER PROOF". Don't confuse the two.
Not sure if anyone else is having problems ordering from them but i had to use the ebay link since it seems there is a problem ordering through their website.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #30
habanero

Quote:
Try these out.

Hobie uses them on their bait tank and they are weather proof.

Here is a link: http://www.performanceplusconnection...nKit16_14.html

They have different sizes also. Purchase the ones that fit your wires.

FYI I use these all over the place and found this place for best prices:
http://www.thedetailzone.com/Wiring%20Aids.htm

This place for bulk:
http://www.mouser.com/_/?Keyword=Weatherpack
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #31
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I have not been to this place in a while. It is called Marshalls, BTW. You could call them and check the price. I think it is higher than what you found online. Keep in mind that there are three components, the case and both male and female pins, all sold separately.

Bob
Thanks Bob,

I called Marshall's Industrial Hardware and the individual that I spoke with said they did not carry the GM style connectors, only ones called Noble. Here is a link to Nobles catalog (see page 24 for the same product). http://www.noblewire.com/catalog.pdf These may be the ones you saw when you were there last & since I reference "GM" they did know the style being the same. I'm not sure on their price, but maybe someone in the area could post it for all.

The price I listed was for one complete set (both plastic connectors, boots & both male and female pins) through Performance Plus. Sammy their main site works, you just have to enter more information (i.e. info you may have already have on your ebay account).

While getting them from a wrecked vehicle may be cheaper you are adding one more splice to your wiring which can add to more problems while out on the water. Any wire open to "air" has the possibility of corroding while connected and having current through it. JMO

And X2 on the dielectric grease. Keeps the connectors clean of corrosion (preventive general maintenance).
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #32
GregAndrew

Not a bad idea to use a bit of rubbing alcohol after scuffing, before applying the goop (to both the kayak and the pad eye). Same goes for applying the Velcro to the hull. Need the heavy duty wide Velcro without the self adhesive.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #33
sammysamsam

Quote:
Thanks Bob,

I called Marshall's Industrial Hardware and the individual that I spoke with said they did not carry the GM style connectors, only ones called Noble. Here is a link to Nobles catalog (see page 24 for the same product). http://www.noblewire.com/catalog.pdf These may be the ones you saw when you were there last & since I reference "GM" they did know the style being the same. I'm not sure on their price, but maybe someone in the area could post it for all.

The price I listed was for one complete set (both plastic connectors, boots & both male and female pins) through Performance Plus. Sammy their main site works, you just have to enter more information (i.e. info you may have already have on your ebay account).

While getting them from a wrecked vehicle may be cheaper you are adding one more splice to your wiring which can add to more problems while out on the water. Any wire open to "air" has the possibility of corroding while connected and having current through it. JMO

And X2 on the dielectric grease. Keeps the connectors clean of corrosion (preventive general maintenance).
I went through the guest checkout and put in all my info. I actually got a call from someone at performance plus about my ordering problems. Good customer service. Def order all my plugs and such from there. Thank you so much for references them.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #34
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post
I went through the guest checkout and put in all my info. I actually got a call from someone at performance plus about my ordering problems. Good customer service. Def order all my plugs and such from there. Thank you so much for references them.
Glad to hear that all worked out for you.

BTW you need to use a special crimper on those connectors. If you don't have one PM me as I have one along with the extractor tool.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote