Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 06/14 PM

Lumpy, snotty, wretched seas. Didn't think it would be too bad since the wind was not strong but the out of NW vector was enough to have some wicked wind swell going. Launch was big and close packed, though they crumbled with little energy. Got out wet but it was warm and sunny. The paddle out of the cove was like one big surf zone with whitecaps and the occassional breaker. No bait at the buoy but found some further out. Knothead shredding a fish had birds piled up, couldn't see what it was.

Trolling a plug and a bait when the clicker zings a bit. Set the hook and the ensuing wiggling felt very bonie. Fish came right at the boat then turned and flashed its green yellow and white side at me. Cool, rat YT. Shortly thereafter, dinner was on the deck.

The fish had one of those nasty 4inch parasites hanging of its side. Had to cut some crap out of the meat as well.

Trolling in it was bonies and cuda fast and furious on the plug. Managed to get one of the trebles flicked hard into my inner thumb wrestling with a slimer. Damn.

Conditions mellowed a bit after sunset but still rocky. Landing was fine. We need a couple calm days for these wind driven seas to mellow.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
aguachico

Brad; nice fish. Nice FF wrapper.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
amsurferoceanbeach

Nice dinner

Looks like the brave win out. I checked the wind
at 1:00 am, calm. Got up at 5:00 am, wind out of the
south east 8 miles an hour, 11 mile gusts. First
time the wind died completely in a while.
nice job on the YT.
amsurferoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Tacos&Beer

How dangerous...

Is it to eat the local yellowtail sashmi? I had a pretty good helping of some raw hamachi from one of the tails I caught Mon. It was caught and with in the hour we were eating it. Tues about noon (24 hrs later) I got the worst stomach pain, sweats, and diarea. The worst of it only lasted an hour but now its Friday and I'm just feeling good. I don't want to discourage anyone from eating there catch raw (it tasted awesome) but whats the chances that caused my little condition....Anyone???
Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Kiyo

maybe ate some worms???

Kiyo
Kiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
madscientist

Could be a reaction to a fish parasite. I read an article about fish parasites and people's reaction to them. In some cases, people can have an allergic reaction to the parasite, even if it is dead. Synptoms would be similar to yours. Several nematodes that infect fish can survive a coupe of days in the human gut before our immune system takes em out. That would also cause symptoms like yours. On the bright side, if it was a parasite, you probably crapped it out. :lol:

But if you notice you are eating like a horse and still losing weight in a couple of weeks, you may want to get checked out. :lol:

Freezing the fish for a few hours before eating raw can help reduce the risk of parasites, or so I've heard. I think I might start doing this with the little guys after seeing that crap.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Tacos&Beer, sorry to hear about your illness.
We've gotten lucky so far. We've had hamachi from yellowtail we've caught without freezing it first and we didn't get sick.
We found out all raw fish served in restaurants is required by law to have been frozen, mostly for safety reasons.
We will continue to eat hamachi, but from now on it's going to be frozen first so we don't have the kind of experience you had on Tuesday.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Dan

I like a quick freeze as well. When it's semi frozen, it is perfect for cubing into sashimi--perfectly firm.

Brad, WTG on gettin a nice fish in some crap conditions.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
T-Rex

The reaction to parasite seems a pretty good guess...if your illness was caused by the hamachi at all.

Your symptoms of sweating, headache, diarrhea sound the same as scombroid fish poisoning, but fish poisoning hits pretty fast...usually within a couple of hours. Not sure if you can even get scombroid poisoning from YT, plus your catch was probably way too fresh...I think it more often affects fish thats been sitting in the sun too long.

Had a friend who got fish poisoning during a Mazatlan trip...he got sick in about an hour after eating and was out of commission for about a day.

Glad you're feeling better.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

It seems the obvious question was not asked...

What kind of cerveza were you drinking?
Some cervezas do not go well with hamachi.... :shock:

And make sure the soy sauce was fresh. Hope this helps.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Mr Mugu

Arent the temperatures required to kill parasites like -20 or more?
Could be that since our yellow's are warm water they're loaded with lots of bugs! I think that's the reason why the farm raised stuff in Japan is cold water. Ask your local sushi chef and he'll say the same thing about our local yellows(warm water=no good.)
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Tacos&Beer

Freezing

Sorry to steal your post Scientist (The way you fish you got plenty though ) Thanks for the info guys, Still not sure but I've got no more effects. I think I will freeze first from now on.