Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #41
Whizz Bang

Wayne I am really biting my tongue....there are so many ways you could go with that one......
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #42
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Flatfish View Post
I have never caught a thresher. But if I do, how can I tell a male from a female? No jokes please! Well, OK, jokes are good too! but seriously. Diagrams? Pictures? What do claspers look like?

Wayne
Here is link with a picture of male sharks claspers:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/educat...h/claspers.JPG

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #43
The Great Blumpkin
Junior

Seems to me nobody really gives crap to anyone keeping any threshers unless they are keeping more than 1 a year......from 4 months ago.

Quote:
Well after a few hours of this I decided to keep a smaller T instead of one of the breeders. The fish I harvested was 78# and was a male I don’t kill females.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #44
fishchaser25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Cool... I'm glad you didn't take offence.

My take on your catch is it's a legal catch, and if you want to take one that is your business. It's not like you were out in a skiff hammering the sh!t out of them.

I wish the DFG would change some regs and put a size limit on them but until then more power to you.

I'm just blown away your out there in shorts I would of been freezing my ass off

Jim

Hell Ya i was cold as all hell.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #45
fishchaser25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
You told me you got one that was 400lbs from your x-factor!!
and yes i did land one that big, but after getting it tailed i was at a loss of how i was going to get it back to land. luckly a boater was passing by and stoped to check me out. he offered to tow me in and I took it.in return i gave him about 50# of steaks. WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. Sharks over 200# are better released from a yak.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #46
Freespool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

You might find this interesting but I feel the same way about lobsters. Same idea one male can mate with many females. I occasionaly keep smaller females when hooping is very slow but if possible I release all my females and never keep big females over three pounds. The larger the tail the more eggs they can protect and carry. On the other and I have no problem killing big males as larger males are canibilistic and eat their own young.

Jim
Makes perfect sense to me and I would advocate that as a management technique. That's what they do with Dungeness crab up north. It's illegal to take any females. Every year, they estimate that they have been harvesting ~90% of all the males in the population every year for a LONG time and the Dungeness fishery remains the most sustainable commercial fishery in Nor Cal.

One other point that supports keeping the big sharks. PIER has done recent research on catch-and-release mortality of threshers and they've found that when the fight time exceeds 2 hours, the survival goes WAY down. Those long tail-hook fights are the worst on them obviously. I would venture to guess that fights over 2 hours are mostly on big sharks, at least I would hope so.
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #47
Freespool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Flatfish View Post
I have never caught a thresher. But if I do, how can I tell a male from a female? No jokes please! Well, OK, jokes are good too! but seriously. Diagrams? Pictures? What do claspers look like?

Wayne
Check my post (#10) in this link to another thread from the summer if you want to see the difference between males and females:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=5640
Freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #48
shortstack

How about a pic of the one over 200lbs!!!!
shortstack is offline   Reply With Quote