Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
Tacos&Beer

Illegal Dolphin

Long Version..Fished of Islandia today cause too narley for the yak or my 21'. Being Catholic fish had to be on the menu tonight and i'll be damned if i'll pay $10 for store bought fish when I can catch my own for $60. Slow pick but managed some nice Reds and Treas for dinner. One of the free-loaders gets bent and the fish is taking line! After quick fight a nice ling is the prize (32"???) The Gaff comes out but they only hit the soft part of the jaw. Skipper explains that lings arn't in season and disperses the crowd. 20 min later my buddy, calico kid, has to relieve himself so I watch his rod. He returns to report that the ling is alive and well in the front bait well!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wresteled with what to do........ We all (at least myself) have done some crap that was borderline. No, I decided..this is too blatnat. Call DFG. Give coordinates and they are on it. The officer calls my cell and says he's closing in, can I stall them. Once at the dock, I tell the crew I can't pay my tab will they let me run up to ATM while Calico stay's w/ the gear.Yes. At the Atm, DFG roles up and is b-lining to the Dolphin. Jason Runs to the front pushes Calico aside and tosses the Ling. The DFG guy gives them a haseel but the damage is done. DFG is pissed and ask us if we'll testify for destruction of evidence. YESSSS!!!!!! More to be continued as it comes
Old 03-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
rdahl

Way to go! Nail that jerk!
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
Baggard
Baggard

way to go. Good lookin out!

This is better than court TV or even OJs trial.
Baggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Glad you did the right thing. Do you have the DFG number that you called? I have been tempted to call it many times when I see blatantly illegal stuff. Whenever I am on the 1/2 day cattle boats they always stretch really short bass, and keep rockfish out of season etc etc. Since I got a yak I haven't been on a 1/2 day boat. If only I could paddle to the albacore grounds.

A couple months ago in a guy in LJ paddled up to me in his yak, showed me his stringer and asked me if I could ID one of the dead fish on it. It was a very short, very out of season ling. Wanted to call that one in.

The Dolphin buzzed me last Sunday out at LJ too. We were outside around the corner drifting all by ourselves and the Dolphin came straight at us, and turned too close for comfort. Not a big issue but he did have the full ocean, its not like it has been crowded out there lately. Also not the first time this has happened with me and this boat. I have never really brought it up before becuase it seems a touchy subject.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
madscientist

Hmmm. I had actually started to think the Dolphin had had a change of heart when it came to yaks since they haven't buzzed me in a good long while. Perhaps my letter to the CG had something to do with it, but I had noticed a general change in attitude for a while. But now I've heard several negative reports in the last couple of weeks so I guess its time to keep an eye out again.

Way to go on calling in the ling. That was pretty ballsy, particularly the stalling part. I agree that borderline is one thing, but it is really inexcusable for a sport boat to do that, they know the rules better than most. Hope you guys see it through and bravo again!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Thanks for sharing and caring to do something. What a Tard.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #7
cajunman

Post the DFG number you called, please, i want that in my phone,

nice job of protecting our resources for our kids and grandkids

As for Jason, well that's just called Karma!!!!

8)
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
Tacos&Beer

NUMBER

THE FIRST # I CALLED WAS SAN DIEGO DFG--- 858-467-4201. THIS WAS NOT THE POACHER HOTLINE BUT THEY TRANSFERED ME. i GAVE THE MY CELL#, THEN THE AGENT CALLED ME A FEW TIMES WHILE IN ROUTE. (I WAS WHISPERING IN THE HEAD) HIS CELL # 619-719-8125. THIS WILL GET YOU DIRECTLY TO THE AGENT AND IS PROBABLY THE BEST.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
twinfin

What bastards. You did the right thing. I got a guy poaching short halibut, 3 of them from the surf a year ago. DFG fined him, feels good....I told him personally, that if I ever saw him fishing from the spot (where i surf), I'd call them back to check on him....never seen him...
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
Johnp

Yet another example of this guy's character and attitude. It seem's like any kayaker with any time on the water in l.j. has had a brush with this guy. It seems odd that Islandia is willing to keep him on.
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
Dennis

Right on, T&B. Way to report him. He buzzed me twice last year...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
bigderel
UberMember

I have managed to stay off the 'buzz' club, at least from the Dolphin off LJ, but I am glad to hear that you did the right thing nonetheless. We should all have the DFG # in our cell phones, I for one always have it on me when I fish anyway. Go take two minutes to do it...if we all make an effort to stop poaching, poachers will hink twice before even considering it.

And why the hell would they even consider it? They work on a boat, if they're hungry, make a couple of drops for some reds or something. It boggles the mind. You did the right thing for sure!
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
mars

Re: NUMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacos&Beer
THE FIRST # I CALLED WAS SAN DIEGO DFG--- 858-467-4201. THIS WAS NOT THE POACHER HOTLINE BUT THEY TRANSFERED ME. i GAVE THE MY CELL#, THEN THE AGENT CALLED ME A FEW TIMES WHILE IN ROUTE. (I WAS WHISPERING IN THE HEAD) HIS CELL # 619-719-8125. THIS WILL GET YOU DIRECTLY TO THE AGENT AND IS PROBABLY THE BEST.
The DFG toll-free tip line is 888-334-2258. I keep it in my cell, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. Glad someone else had a number to call when they needed it.

As far as Jason goes, how is it that knucklehead still has a captain’s license???????
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #14
bluesquids

Way to go. Being ignorant is one thing, being criminal is another. The fine should be x 10 for a Fishing guide/skipper. What a tool. Hope they pull his license.
1- 888- DFG- CALTIP.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #15
Ryan The Sealion

u guys are all dicks.. don't u realize deckhands depend on their side money for drugs :!: :lol:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Hook 1

That's some Big Brass Balls there TB. You could start a show like Cops but call it Docks with that kind of stuff.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
chillblaze

Re: Illegal Dolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacos&Beer
Long Version..Fished of Islandia today cause too narley for the yak or my 21'. Being Catholic fish had to be on the menu tonight and i'll be damned if i'll pay $10 for store bought fish when I can catch my own for $60. Slow pick but managed some nice Reds and Treas for dinner. One of the free-loaders gets bent and the fish is taking line! After quick fight a nice ling is the prize (32"???) The Gaff comes out but they only hit the soft part of the jaw. Skipper explains that lings arn't in season and disperses the crowd. 20 min later my buddy, calico kid, has to relieve himself so I watch his rod. He returns to report that the ling is alive and well in the front bait well!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wresteled with what to do........ We all (at least myself) have done some crap that was borderline. No, I decided..this is too blatnat. Call DFG. Give coordinates and they are on it. The officer calls my cell and says he's closing in, can I stall them. Once at the dock, I tell the crew I can't pay my tab will they let me run up to ATM while Calico stay's w/ the gear.Yes. At the Atm, DFG roles up and is b-lining to the Dolphin. Jason Runs to the front pushes Calico aside and tosses the Ling. The DFG guy gives them a haseel but the damage is done. DFG is pissed and ask us if we'll testify for destruction of evidence. YESSSS!!!!!! More to be continued as it comes
what do you mean by "one of the freeloaders"?
chillblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Sounds like the Karma train just came into the station!! :shock:

T&B, nads of brass indeed!! 8)

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #19
Siebler

By "Freeloades" I believe he is Reffering to the guys Pinheading, Or fishing in exchange for cutting fsh or scrubbing the boat.

Way to go on calling jason in. I will be adding the number to my cell tonight as i have been meaning to for a long while.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #20
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

Never seen any of the "pinheads" help clean the boat or cut fish just see them fish and leave for FREE!