Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Signs of life...

Misery loves company, so good luck sleeping .

I think the secrets out, the Croakers have moved into the kelp along the coast. On this particular day a Sardine kept beaching himself along the outside edge of the kelp as if he was scared of the water below...it looked like a pretty good place to fish. Even though I'm lazy and only fish the local kelp, my intel from Santa Barbara down to Imperial beach have all been telling me the same story. I don't know if there was an extra healthy squid population in the depths all winter, but the population of huge females is strong to say the least. I've shared a few of my trophies this spring, but a number of trees have fallen without someone to hear them. Much like fishing during the squid bites, I feel obligated to fish when a certain grade is available. You will never have a better shot of catching a fifty pound Yellowtail than during those times when they're stuffing themselves and have their guard down. These low light conditions at the sea floor with their favorite food is the time the majority of these trophies are caught. The battlefield of boats is something I would avoid years ago, even though I knew what kind of fishing was going on. The truth of the matter is I would rather fish all day to find that one trophy just before sunset, without a boat in sight. But, for years all I could think of was that fifty pound Yellowtail I had on the end of my line fishing twenty pound flourocarbon. I had her just out of gaff range three times, but each time the Yellowtail of my dreams laughed at me moving back to a safe distance cruising the bottom in 30' of water. I've relived this nightmare for years and think of it every time I drop down to the invisible stuff. I suppose my recent heartbreaks will serve as great therapy, since that sight of watching my prize shake the hook at gaff years ago is starting to fade. I have the fresh taste of tears to savor from a couple White Seabass that could have been twenty pounds over my personal best. I wish I never saw them, but I did. Consequently having to go get a glass of water at three in the morning, waking up with sweat on my brow, with that damn visual of a straightened out hook. The current WCW number one (Jasmin), was on hand to help as I took off my waders and swam down without a mask trying to retrieve one of these fish. Even though I have a great breathhold, topping out around three minutes. Swimming down in your underwear without a mask in five feet of visability didn't help my cause. After a few attempts I was able to pop a number of stringers and follow my spectra down to my fish. Only to feel her last shakes of freedom and see a silver flash five feet in front of me, only to swim back up with my hook in hand. I wouldn't have done this for any White Seabass over fifty, but this fish was more than worthy. The good news is if she's not in the arms of an expert diver now, she's still out there.

Here's my partner in crime for the day, the best website guy I know. Consequently the only other kayaker out this day. Even though my fish was a little over fifty three inches, his fish was ridiculous. Don has a 1' stainless gaff which I'm sure works great for tired Yellowtail yakside, but not when they're kelped heavily 8' down. I could see this beast at color and simply made sure he didn't pull too hard while I did everything I could do to help out. I ended up getting a little wet with my arm burried up to my shoulder with a 4.5' gaff to get his fish of a lifetime. Being an only child I had quick thoughts of "that's my fish", but gladly shared a celebratory cold one with Don on the happy pedal back.

I love my job!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
The Great Blumpkin
Junior

SWEET!!!

The Great Blumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
ratdog

incedible, congrats.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
bellcon

now thats a report!

looking good!!!

hey Don
get back to work
and leave some fish for the other Dons in the world
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
wildcat
Amature

Gut

The girth / gut on that one in the second photo is rediculous...Great read dude, you got the gift..
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
NextBite

nice
Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Bpcode3
Angler

Great catch
Bpcode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
dorado50

Love the new outfit........
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
shogan
Junior

Nice job... like clockwork.

Got my 50lb + 4/10/04... and figured that the good weather combined with the calander would bring some nice fish to gaff. Just wondering why no one else is sharing.... or where they are sharing?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Smokey
Junior

Great story, awesome fish.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
fishchaser25

Great report bro. Hay what R the specks on that seccond fish. it is freakin FAT.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchaser25 View Post
Great report bro. Hay what R the specks on that seccond fish. it is freakin FAT.

The weight of that fish will be a mystery for eternity. My scale was at home and Don doesn't have one. Don and I spoke about getting an official weight, but Don's take was that this isn't a tournament. He didn't care about the weight and simply honored the fish for being the magnificent creature it was, a trophy to be proud of. I will just say that his fish made my trophy over fifty pounds look like a Speckled Trout. He kept telling me how small my fish looked compared to his, trying to make me feel bad for harvesting her. I didn't even want him pulling his kayak up next to mine on the beach .
Old 04-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
kansas
Junior

Wholly Mackerel.
kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
PB fisher
feeesh

Thumbs up

dinner for a month

PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

3 minute breathold, swimming, not static, impressive, that is better than any freediver I know! Nice fish too.

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #16
aftahour

great report and pics.. what monster
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
Adam12

Amazing!
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
nabeeko

nice looking fishies
nabeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #19
yakrider

HOLY CRAP
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
3 minute breathold, swimming, not static, impressive, that is better than any freediver I know! Nice fish too.

chris
Ya, nice catch...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote