Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
matthew7!

When it rains it pours! LJ Sat

Started off as a normal day got to La Jolla a little at 0515 made headed north trolled up to Del Mar beach trying different depths two bites most likely shark. Stopped before the swami’s state marine conservation area, turned back around and Stopped and fished all of the birds and busting fish right off Del Mar beach. Turned out to be mackerel busting these 1inch blue back fish off the surface, thrower a iron around and wore out some big mackerel haha. No game fish to be seen just lots of dolphin grabbing mackerel. Kept going back south to the edge of the reserve, then straight out to depth when until we could continue our troll south. Crossed the canyon and got a yellow tail bait hooked up for a couple seconds but pulled or spit the hook after about thirty seconds. Followed a lot of dolphin around found a couple yellows following them busting the surface but not luck there. Kept trolling to the point were out of no where in about 20-40ft of water birds start hitting the surface first it was ten or twenty birds and after thirty seconds to a minute it was every bird in La Jolla right off the point. Pedal as fast as I could got on top of them throwing a blue and white surface iron. 1st cast a giant mackerel, 2nd cast in to the middle of the birds 12” calico, 3rd cast in to the middle of the birds......had a bird catch my line on his foot, I pulled to free it then let the iron flutter a little reeled up tension and it felt like I was snagged. Set the hook in case It wasn’t a snag, then all of a sudden my snag was running away from me fast. Fought the snag for about 15mins the fished a stayed right under my boat I’d pull up 5ft of line and he would take 15ft back. while fighting the fish the birds push directly west off shore chasing the bait ball until it dissolved into the deep blue. Pulled in a really really nice White Sea bass!!! Length came out to be 49” biggest fish I have ever caught with a rod! Such a Beautiful fish!! Words can’t describe the feeling of getting a fish like that in the kayak successfully. Who new wsb bite surface irons??? Hope y’all had a good weekend and stay safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote