Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
DanaPT

4/06 Dana Point Report

Well, DP isn't LJ.

Was on the water at 5:40, perfectly calm (before the storm).

Around 10 am, SE winds picked up. Decided to avoid some stiff wind by sticking closer to the shore. Had no problems with bait, plenty of it.

Started to drizzle a bit, so I made my way into the harbor. The wind was stiff, plenty of chop. For the first time, was thinking I may now be in over my head. I was getting a bit worried, as my strokes seemed to do little against the current and wind. Was thinking to myself, was this effort to paddle in worth the morning of fishing? Of course the answer was yes.
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I saw you out there yesterday. I was to the north of you in front of monarch beach. Caught a few chunky sandies, and had 4 ripping bites on the macs and dines but couldn't get the hooks in them. Should have used the stinger hook like you did. Metered some larger models out there.

The paddle back in was an adventure. Swell from two directions, wind waves from a third and echos from the jetty from a fourth. Rouge waves would just mount up out of nowhere and foam over my bow. It was too dangerous for me to go any direction but directly into the wind. I had to go that direction well past the harbor and then turn down wind back to Doheny I averaged about 1 1/2 mph against the wind. You were tucked in a nice calm area but if knew you were going too be surprised when you got outside again.

Good Luck out there.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

sounds like DP alright,
can get a bit rough around this time, but the sandies do get pretty thick and chunky there, I love fishin there...thanks for the report...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
tagyak

danapt, that is one nice sandie. licking my chomps thinking about going fishing soon.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
wms,Jr
Junior

So what is that hook set up you have there, just getting into this, was that a live anchovie, and is that a treble hook?
wms,Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
taggermike

When I used to live in OC and fished out of Dana Harbor I had some terrible paddles. That head land north of the harbor seams to just attract and aplify the wind. I had one worst ever paddle there. I left Baby beach and headed for the harbor entrance in to a head wind, got to the mouth and headed north in to a head wind, got to salt creek (caught nothing), headed back south in to a headwind, got totally fogged in, followed the jetty south by sound of breaking waves still in to a head wind, found the mouth, turned the corner, you guessed it, back in to a head wind, and finally landed back at babay beach. I don't what weather phenominon could explain that. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report. Maybe next time will be better.

I too have had my worst paddles there. In fact it was a big factor in ditching my Cobras for yaks without leaking hatches. The headlands definitely accelerate the wind. The shiftiness seems to be normal too, at least until around 11am. Then it usually just comes out of the northwest and makes the paddle through the harbor a real bitch. The wind just dives off the headlands and howls, even when outside it's not too bad. Still love to fish there though.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Ndavissd

DP

Thanks for the post on this area, I have yet to fish here and insight like this is great. I live in Carlsbad and it is on my list
Ndavissd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
DanaPT

Best to snag those critters any way you can. . .

Rossman, I did see you out there. What time did you set out? Did you launch from Doho?

On the set-up: A fellow by the name of Ray gave one to me while out on the water in DP. I lost that set-up before I was able to duplicate. I noticed that the Jig Stop sold them for about $3.50, well worth it. After losing a couple, I figured It be more economical to make my own.

Very easy to set-up to use and make. The real trick is the very small tube of elastic plastic tubing that is used to keep the circle hook snug BUT able to "slide" to fit your bait. (you can buy that too at the Jig Stop)

I use about 16-20 inches of line. Tie off the treble hook, slide the tube over the circle hook with the line in the tube. Put the line through the circle hook's eye. (picture not to scale).

Put the circle hook in the bait's nose. Put on of the treble hook's point somewhere near the tail of the bait fish and drop it!

Seems logical. When the fish gobbles up the bait they tend to get hooked by one of four sharp points.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
wms,Jr
Junior

Thanks for the info on the set up, does it work with live and dead bait? or just live.
wms,Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Well, DP isn't LJ.

Was on the water at 5:40, perfectly calm (before the storm).

Around 10 am, SE winds picked up. Decided to avoid some stiff wind by sticking closer to the shore. Had no problems with bait, plenty of it.

Started to drizzle a bit, so I made my way into the harbor. The wind was stiff, plenty of chop. For the first time, was thinking I may now be in over my head. I was getting a bit worried, as my strokes seemed to do little against the current and wind. Was thinking to myself, was this effort to paddle in worth the morning of fishing? Of course the answer was yes.

WHAT KIND OF BAIT DID THEY HAVE AT THE BAIT BARGE??
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
DanaPT

I think the rotation of bait/size changes, I haven't purchased bait there yet. Seems I'm fortunate enough to catch something live to pin to my hook.

http://www.baitbarge.com/danapoint.html