Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

Fish Finders and GPS

So with all the Fish Finders on the market and the combos of GPS, I have hear the arguments that you don't need the GPS, that you do need the GPS, and some that say you don't even need the systems at all. I personally love having my FF/GPS to help increase the odds into my favor.

What do you all think? What's your system of choice Humminbird, Lowrance, Garmin, Raymarine? Why?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Dannowar

Hds 5

No more. No less.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Cbad Mike

I'm still running an Eagle Cuda 350s only because I'm saving up for HDS 5.
As for GPS..... I will never buy anything without it. I personally don't use the GPS as much as a lot of other guys but I have been surprised by a couple fast moving fog banks that took away any sense of direction and gave me only 15 feet of visibility. If I didn't have my GPS to turn to so I could find my way back to shore I would have been really screwed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1521.jpg (14.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

I'm highly thinking of getting the HDS 5. I've been a Humminbird person for a very long time, but I'm leaning toward the HDS 5.

I will never be without the GPS mostly for the safety reasons.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Siebler

I was Lowrance for a long time, we still sell tons of them... The Raymarine clarity is ridiculously better though. Even over the Lowrance Chirp stuff there is no comparison. (This is obviosuly for the Sonar part)

The new FF/GPS combos are awesome. Ability to backscroll on your sonar and put a GPS point exactly on structure is money. For my money I will do the Combo units, way easier to use them as a single unit IMO

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
flemdogg
Island Blood

Anyone run their hds 5 thru hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Hds 5

No more. No less.

If so any issues?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
bwana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
As for GPS..... I will never buy anything without it. I personally don't use the GPS as much as a lot of other guys but I have been surprised by a couple fast moving fog banks that took away any sense of direction and gave me only 15 feet of visibility. If I didn't have my GPS to turn to so I could find my way back to shore I would have been really screwed.
I second what Mike said.

Also as a redundant safety item I have a Richie compass mounted on deck.

I remember a LJ tournament years ago where the radio chatter was full of experience kayakers lost in the fog with a couple dangerously close to the surf on the outside. I could see my position clearly on the GPS map.

Add the ability to mark your waypoints, seeing tracks to redo good drifts, and recording sleigh rides make it money well spent.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
EntropyFletch

I just bought a Lowrance HDS 5 and took it on it's maiden journey yesterday in the Big Bay. Kinda confused as to what settings I should be using. I know I need to change em based on conditions, but for you HDS 5 users, can you give me som insight as to what your general, go-to settings are for the sonar? Thanks!
EntropyFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
BillzBaitz

yeah i have to say I love my Dragonfly.. I haven't seen the new chirp finders from Garmin or Lowrance but the dragonfly is so easy to use right out of the box.. You can also download vector saltwater charts from raymarine for free to load into the Dragonfly(they also offer Raster charts)...
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
fishingfiend

Humminbird 798ci SI HD, side imaging is a great feature.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
momo fish

After much research and talking to experts in pretty much down to either the dragonfly or lowrance HDI with chirp. Either one is good
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote