Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
DONIGAN
Junior

Send a message via MSN to DONIGAN
Potential Closure of La Jolla Boat Launch - Please Read

My fellow Yakkers. As you can tell I am not an avid poster but I am an avid kayak fisherman of 13 years, mostly in La Jolla.

I will be brief and to the point (as much as possible for an Irishman). My neighbor who I actively hunt and fish with is also a Lieutenant life guard who has an over site roll over La Jolla Shores and the boat launch, specifically asked me to reach out to the kayak community (not necessarily this way) regarding the hammerhead situation and how we can be a responsible community. Honestly, they can care less about anyone reporting hammerhead activity in the fishing grounds, however, they care when its within 500 yards of the shore. It has been theorized, and now closely being watched, that the hammerheads are keying on kayakers who bleed their catch on top of the kayak and let the blood go through the scuppers. He specifically said that the tower is watching us come in and if we are trailing in our catch with a hammer following us to the beach, it will shut down again and guess what.... I shiver saying it, we (the launch) gets shut down.

We need to take 1 extra step in our preparations and pack some heavy duty trash bags or buy a real fishing kayak like and OK Trident 4.7
and put your catch under and let it bleed inside the yak. I dont want this to be a start of a "can they do that debate" "are they really aggressive sharks" "i doubt they are keying on us" etc etc. Guys/Gals, this is just a friendly heads up and I (as a yaker that bleeds my catch into the water) will change my approach the rest of this summer out of respect for our lifeguards who ask very little of us.

Tight Lines

DONIGAN

Last edited by DONIGAN; 09-05-2015 at 04:30 PM.
DONIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote