Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Wanting to get into this!

I am considering trying this hobby out. Never really been kayaking. Few times here and there. Have not been fishing.
in over a decade. But enjoyed it when I did it. I was recently injured in a mountain bike crash and am looking to get into something else. Little less dangerous but gets me out the house a day here and there. I have been doing a ton of research online. Week in hospital lots of time to start research. I have narrowed my choice down to two kayaks right now. I am a looking at the PA 14 or a Jackson Big Tuna. I will be putting a motor on the tuna for sure. Since I don't have the best shoulders. Wanted to know what everyone is running. Or if anyone has opinion on either two boats. I will be fishing mostly in ocean with a few fresh water trips here and there. I like to option of the second seat on the tuna in case my son ever wanted to go or bring a buddy. I fighter 95% of the time I will be on my own. Any comments would be appreciated. Also I have no friends that currently do this. So all on my own for now.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
rieffer

Give Hobie a good look, especially with the bad wings. I've got a PA12 and love it.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rieffer View Post
Give Hobie a good look, especially with the bad wings. I've got a PA12 and love it.
x2.

i say go for a single seater.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
svendawg

PA-12

If you have issues with your shoulders you might want to consider a PA-12. It's easier to load and move around, especially if you plan on transporting it on a rack,
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

Welcome.

No, you are not on your own. You have the entire BWE group to help you out.

Do not go buy a yak.

Go to any yak shop and test drive several.

Now buy a yak.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Matt said it all really. But, Svendawg makes a good point too.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
kaya_one

I've heard that you will fish on the tandem 5% of the time so then 5% of the time go RENT a tandem. The tandem's won't float a single person well in my opinion as they are not built right for one person.

After jumping in on a paddle-yak (not a hobie) and not test driving (take Matt's advice) I realized my lower back isn't liking it too much and after 6+ hours on the water I am stiff the next day. So now with Physical Therapy I am strengthening my back and been feeling pretty good lately. My friend says he just can't do the yaks cause of his back and bought a small skiff.

Lots of people to help here on BWE. Get well. PM me or post up again - plenty other questions you'll have.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Think you all for the warm welcome. I went and looked at both boats yesterday. I like the PA better. The craftsmanship of the Hobie seems to be better. Also the hobie dealer here in Temecula. They have a 2012 in the shop that they will let go for 2100. So I plan on purchasing it today. Then I can start getting it dressed out. Still need to get all my other gear and rods and reels. Also if I buy from them they will give 10% off for life. So if everything goes according to plan. I will be ready to hit the water in 3-4 weeks. Hope my body is healed up enough to go. Had my last mountain bike accident on 12/8. Broke 3 ribs, punctured and partially collapsed it. Bruised my liver and right kidney. Then going to hit up a lake near the house to practice and get used to pedaling and paddling new yak. Have allot to learn. But when I get into something I go all in!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
skiptomyzoo

One option you didn't mention (probably bc it just came out) is jackson's newest, 'The Big Rig'. From what I can gather it is very similar to the Big Tuna, but slightly scaled down for one person and with upgrades
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=937Nyb886hw

I would not get a tandem. All that means is you are going to have to peddle or paddle something built for 2 ppl, solo 95% of the time, although you did say you would also run a motor. Supposedly the Big Tuna still does well solo but I wouldn't.

Not sure if you saw either the PA or Big Tuna in person yet, I have. But they are much closer to boats then they are kayaks (not a bad thing, just they are large). Just mentioning bc you said your shoulders aren't the best loading/unloading.
skiptomyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

So went out today and pulled the trigger!! Still at their shop, waiting on parts to come in. I will have it in the garage next weekend. But it's mine I am so pumped!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.6 KB, 819 views)
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
MrPatrick

"And lo, the sun shown down upon the 'Yak and it was good!"
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Aaaaand that's how it's done, just like that. I'm jealous!
CONGRATULATIONS

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
janines.fishtales@cox.net

adict

Welcome to the addiction! Merry Christmas!

Janine
Old 12-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
jorluivil

I too did a lot of mountain biking back in the days; mt wilson, redbox, santa monica, turnbull, chileo(I think I spelled that wrong).........local stuff. I noticed after each ride I/we wanted more of a thrill and we would usually find it. However, one day I took a spill on a switchback and landed a few feet from the edge of the mountain, the only reason my bike didn't go over was because the spokes from the tire got caught in a shrub. Now I fish with the sharks but I don't carry a loaded weapon

Congrats on an awesome kayak, I might upgrade to one of those this year.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I too did a lot of mountain biking back in the days; mt wilson, redbox, santa monica, turnbull, chileo(I think I spelled that wrong).........local stuff. I noticed after each ride I/we wanted more of a thrill and we would usually find it. However, one day I took a spill on a switchback and landed a few feet from the edge of the mountain, the only reason my bike didn't go over was because the spokes from the tire got caught in a shrub. Now I fish with the sharks but I don't carry a loaded weapon

Congrats on an awesome kayak, I might upgrade to one of those this year.

Jorge buy a PA...?

NEVER!!!

Congrats on your new kayak purchase. Hopefully you'll find that you like kayak'n, if you stick with it you'll have some great experiences...and some bad ones....meet some characters and I guarantee you'll have a lot of laughs!

Don't forget to spend the money and get yourself a good set of wheels for your PA. Like the Wheeleez cart, it is expensive but worth every penny when your able to move that monster boat across almost any surface sidewalk or sand with relative ease.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Thanks guys. I am real excited about this! jorluivil I hit most of the same trails. I spent most of the summer up at Snow Summit. Riding the bike park and a little racing at southridge. But after this last get off (worst since my mx racing days) the warden told me I needed something different to do. Always enjoyed fishing even though I haven't been in YEARS. Saw a video of some guys fishing off kayak. And thought it would be allot of fun to do. Gets me out of the house for a day here and there so its a win. Ordered my fish finder and gps combo. Ordered hobie bait tank, rod holders and the heavy duty wheel cart. They said that was the one everybody used for this beast.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
fishingfiend

Glad to hear you're recovering, sounds like you stacked pretty bad. I had a blast with my Enduro, but a trip to ER had me reconsidering my choice of hobbies. Got back into fishing with a PA and have not looked back. Welcome to the retired mountain bikers club.

Congrats on your PA and hope to see you on the water.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
nacho66

Bert, Glad your recovering, I had a similar incident. I was cut off while riding my Harley and had a plateau fracture to my right tibia. Basically, split my knee in half, I have been wanting to get a PA since they came out. To help with my therapy I began searching and when a 2013 PA14 showed up at a great price I jumped. I have been out a couple of times so far, in progress of getting a cheap trailer completed and will be out there soon
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I have about a month before I can start using it. Sucks but I have time to get some gear. So I can be ready once the ribs are healed. I do have a question. If someone can advise on the transducer placement. The stor said to mount it in the hull. Is that going to affect the way it works? Am I better off getting a mount or ?? Does it work thru the hull?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
I have about a month before I can start using it. Sucks but I have time to get some gear. So I can be ready once the ribs are healed. I do have a question. If someone can advise on the transducer placement. The stor said to mount it in the hull. Is that going to affect the way it works? Am I better off getting a mount or ?? Does it work thru the hull?
By any chance is yours lowrance ready?

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...lowrance+ready
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote