Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
tmc
Junior

WSB or YT in LJ?

Heading out Thurs or Friday to LJ. Anyone still catching WSB or should I target the yellows? Been out of town most of July and heard I missed some good WSB bite in late June/ early July.

If you are heading out Fri morning PM me.

Trent
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
tmc
Junior

Does anybody on here fish LJ? 130 views 0 replies. From what I heard from a couple guys, it sounds like neither is really biting too much right now, but I'm going out even so... It's better than sitting at the office.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

You may have heard the rumor... there are no fish in La Jolla. I can attest to that based on my last visit. Unless you like catching bait, fishing has been very slow for most of us mortals.

Josh, it's time for your monthly report that gives us all hope.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
'Cuda

Now nobody posts until the bite is over.....which kind of makes the original intent of this forum useless....but in a way it's ok because now like the old days you just wake up and go out and hope you get lucky....and that should be what fishing is all about.....that and sharing your catch with others.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Billy V

There's always fish in la jolla. You need to make a plan and stick to it.

Target your species and keep your eyes on the prize.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
tmc
Junior

Well said guys. I am going to target YT until I get one or get bored... then I'll target something else

Trent
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
You may have heard the rumor... there are no fish in La Jolla. I can attest to that based on my last visit. Unless you like catching bait, fishing has been very slow for most of us mortals.

Josh, it's time for your monthly report that gives us all hope.

Bob

I don't kiss and tell much these days, Bob. And like you said, we all know, there's no fish in La Jolla!

That said, since you asked nicely, you might remember this guy behind me when you were out last time. The guy who had custom wrapped, Seeker and Calstar rods with the Accurate and Trinidad to match.

You know, the guy who's never fished La Jolla before off a kayak? This is one of his two that day! He may not have fished off a kayak before, but when he hooked up---he put the wood to these fish!
A word for the wise: there's still plenty of squid in La Jolla. This might require a decent sonar and a basic knowledge of the area, though. The current has been going uphill for days, with tons of crap and grass on the surface, in ugly green water where most kayakers fish. Not to mention, someone needs to put a few more tokens in the sun machine---June gloom turned into July gloom---August gloom?

My advice: get out early enough to make squid and while you're there, drop some down and fish. Make squid like it's your job and, well, get the hell out of there if nothing happens after a few hours. The ocean is BIG, forget about The Condo and go looking elsewhere. There just might be fish there---and if you find the fish with a tank full of candy .

I guess I don't have to write a monthly post now---good luck to all!

Besides, who goes fishing when there's a firing South swell? Not me!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

Josh,
Your two days late for the post, I could have used that Tuesday so my trip Wednesday would have been more productive....couldn't find squid for crap....guess that's why I need to go out with you. Got 3 small lizard fish on the sabiki and tinny macs used for bottom fishing the kelp which produced 1 sculpin.... Also caught some bait that looked like a very large sardine with but without the lateral spots??? Any thoughts on those?
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

firing south swell....woooohooo!!!!

wait..........what??? did I miss something??
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Josh, you just continue to amaze me. I saw you and your client heading toward Hawaii and lost sight of you over the horizon. As you have often said, "La Jolla is a very large place". Wherever you were, there were obviously more fish than where the rest of the fleet was. I did not see anyone catch a fish last Friday.

Congratulate your client for me and all the other so called "experienced" yakfishers who got skunked that day.

I am saving my pennies. One of these days I will be giving you a call.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote