Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Amish Ed

weight?

What is your basic thoughts on the weight of your leadheads. I tend to fish as light as possible. 3/8oz in Mission or Newport, 3/8-1oz in SD Bay or while fishing calicoes. But, I realized today that this comes from fishing regular leadheads and trying to avoid eel grass and rock. That constant worry about losing lead.

But, I almost exclusively fish Warbait heads now. I'm thinking that if I went heavier in general I might do better. Lord knows that all the pics I see on FB of guys catching calicoes are on 3/4-2oz heads.

Whaddaya think?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 AM   #2
tacmik

Try it. If it works, great. If not, switch back. Just let us know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
Dave Legacy

I use 1/2 oz weedless heads on 5-6.5" swimbaits, but have been considering going up to 1.5 oz for a faster fall rate. I've always fished shallower water from shore in the past, so the slow fall has been fine, but now that I'm kayaking there have been sometimes where I felt I was waiting forever to get the bait down.

I recently got some 3/4 oz and 1 oz weedless jigheads to try out with some big Kalin's grubs, so I'll start experimenting there.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
Snags

I generally use heavier jigs. I'm partial to thr 1.5 oz Warbaits weedless or Reebs..
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
sandico

This is all relative to multiple variables.

When fishing spotties I would stay with 1/2oz or less. This is dictated by depth of water and line size for me. Unless you are fishing SD Bay, you shouldn't need to worry about the fall rate as the other bays are shallow. SD Bay I will go up to as much as 1oz when fishing sandbass in the deeper water.

When fishing calicos there are a lot of variables but similar to the bays. Head size for me is always dictated by depth of water. Shallow to 20 feet I will fish 3/4oz-1oz, 20-50 feet 1oz-1.5oz, and 60 plus 1.5oz and up. Heavier line and strong currents will always having me using on the heavier side.

I fish both boat and kayak and see myself using on the heavier side when fishing from a boat. The kayak you seem to have a little more control and can fish a little lighter.
sandico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Thanks guys. Think I'll invest in some more heavy heads.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
ghotion
Junior

I'm fishing Pismo, Shell Beach area and use the 1.5 &.2 oz. Warbaits. Even though it's only 20' to 30' deep I like getting to the bottom in a hurry, I like the bait to be under my boat not 20 - 30 yards away. And as some say the bigger the bait the bigger the fish.
ghotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
NorthwestAngler
Junior

All depends on where you are fishing. Yesterday we were out on SD Bay and killing it in 7-9 feet of water with 1/4oz - 3/8oz heads on 3" baits. Recently I've moved to smaller and smaller baits. We then moved spots and switched to 3/4oz heads to get deeper.
NorthwestAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
taggermike

Most of my salt water bassin is in south SD bay. Its fairy shallow over eel grass. I've found spotties bite better on or near the bottom or right above the grass. So I need enough weight to get down but not so much that I need to wind fast to keep the lure from dragging in the grass. That's usually 1/4 or 3/8 th, depending on wind and drift. In deeper channels or where the bottom is clear I'll use a 1/2.

As the water gets deeper I still want to stay on the bottom w/o waiting too long so wieght goes up to 3/4 or as much as 3 oz. Much heavier than that I'll run a plastic or gulp above a torpedo sinker. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
What is your basic thoughts on the weight of your leadheads. I tend to fish as light as possible. 3/8oz in Mission or Newport, 3/8-1oz in SD Bay or while fishing calicoes. But, I realized today that this comes from fishing regular leadheads and trying to avoid eel grass and rock. That constant worry about losing lead.

But, I almost exclusively fish Warbait heads now. I'm thinking that if I went heavier in general I might do better. Lord knows that all the pics I see on FB of guys catching calicoes are on 3/4-2oz heads.

Whaddaya think?
So you stopped using the owner sledhead jigheads? How do you like those warbait jigheads in heavy eel grass? For me I have found that they are not as effective for a weedless application.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
Amish Ed

I found the Sledheads didn't work so well with the Paddlerz and the Ultraheads which we loved are no longer made. I have 3 left and I'm saving them for a rainy day. I haven't had any issues with the Warbaits in grass, kelp, or rocks. Especially when compared to the bare triangle heads I used to use.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
monstahfish

I usually go by depth and bait size. For less than 10ft, I use a 3/8, 10-20 a 1/2 and deeper 3/4 and so on. That being said I like to get down quick and fish weedless texas rigged jig heads. Sometimes I will fish smaller baits on heavy heads too. For this I use freedom tackle jig heads and swap out the hooks for smaller ones that fit the bait the best. This lets me throw shrimp patterns and really pound the bottom to make a more natural presentation. Other times I will use this trick to match the hatch and still get down if there's a lot of small bait around.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote