Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
onetriphudson

BSB

This weekend we were kayak fishing in north county and my partner hooked a huge fish on an artificial lure. The fish towed him in his kayak for 2 hours before finally coming to the surface. It turned out to be a 200lb+ black sea bass and the fish was exhausted. It went belly up at the kayaks and we knew we had to revive it.

We cut the line because we couldn’t get the hook out. We did not remove the fish from the water and the fish was successfully revived by towing it next to my pro angler - all the more reason to have a hands free drive system. The BSB finally swam back down under its own power. Let me repeat that the fish is alive and fine, it was not harvested and we did not delay in freeing it.

But even though the fish lived and swam off fine, we wanted to know if we did everything right. What is the correct way to handle a black sea bass once you realize what it is? It's easy when the fish is under 50lbs, but what about a truly large fish that is over 200lbs? If the fish is belly up and in danger of staying that way is it alright to revive it? The last thing I would want to see is the fish floating there, getting pecked at by birds.

All the information I can find online just has stories about people going to jail because they either killed it, or brought it up on the beach to take pictures. I cannot see any good examples of how to properly handle the fish and I want to make one. Any assistance or stories would be much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
flemdogg
Island Blood

Were you "towing" the fish with anything other than your hand? I assume you were running water over its gills to get it to breathe better which is a good call. However, If you were using a rope, game clip, or stringer to tow the fish; more reason for the warden to believe you were harvesting. Don't give any reason for people to believe you are being unethical or illegal. My 2 cents, and tight lines.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
momo fish

Good effort on reviving and getting the fish back down... I have only done it by grabbing fill with a glove on and moving as fast I can till it kicks itself down...
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
summers in kuwait

WWBD
What would Bryan Do?

This still is one of my favorite pictures ever!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post

WWBD
What would Bryan Do?

This still is one of my favorite pictures ever!
Haha! I got slapped in the face by his tail once he got going again. I say you did everything right if he swam off! If not, hip in the water!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
onetriphudson

No game clips or ropes were used, that would involve touching gills and delaying the release.