Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #61
mo2vation

hee hee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abking View Post
I say the pool noodles are NOT utterly useless.

When a shark bites your boat and water cannot be prevented from filling your hull you will be glad to have the noodles keep the boat from sinking.

I'm not looking for paddling performance when a shark is circling - I just want to be able to stay on my boat.

Time for my own experiment...

I'll have it on youtube.
Gallons, please. Not liters.

Just sayin - measure the amount of water you pour into the hull in Gallons.

-K
Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #62
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob929 View Post
ED- How are those pad eyes attached inside your hull? I need to do that to keep things in place.
Clean hull and padeyes with alcohol, lightly sand and use a generous amount of Goop (no rivets). Stronger than it looks. I'm on my second season with no failure.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #63
h2ofishfo

could've been saved by a piece of velcro attched to the hand pump staionary so u always knoe where it is but glad u are o.k.
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #64
asystole

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. Glad you're OK and you made it home safely to fish another day. Great example to beginners like me of what can go wrong and how quickly a boat can sink.

Thanks to everyone for the various suggestions of items to carry on a PFD. I for one will be making some adjustments to wear my gear is.
asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #65
radastaff

wow
glad ure oks
late to read this
but very glad i did

guess i always kinda thought
that even it my yak fills with water
it would still kinda stay at the surface
maybe not float but not sink
but maybe not
i do bring alot of tackle to
so prob not

gonna get some noodles now for sure
at least enough to float my lead and irons

i recommend waterproof cell phone
i have the g-zone for a few years now
keep it clipped next to my vhf on my pdf
cell in a baggy
aint gonna be much help in choppy water
with u in the water too

paul
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #66
ship 4 brains

Damn Tom - I'm glad you are ok!
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #67
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Let me jump on the bandwagon and express my sympathy for your loss while applauding your ability to not become a causality yourself. Survival when things go bad on the water takes the right mix of experience, common sense and good luck. It looks like you had all three.

Always the innovator, I started thinking about what kind of an accessory might have made this event less costly. I bet a simple device could be constructed that consists of an inflatable bladder that could be filled with air or CO2 by pulling a pin or pressing a button. This bladder, (probably two of them), could be installed in the unused spaces inside the yak in the bow and stern. Just like the air bags in cars, they would go unused for the life of most kayaks but when that emergency occurred, they could be inflated to keep the yak from visiting Davey Jones.

Another idea would be to fill these same unused areas in the bow and stern with lightweight foam making the kayak as unsinkable as a Boston Whaler.

If anyone decides to run with either of these ideas, please let me know and I tell you where to send the royalty checks.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #68
radastaff

i just got an idea

how bout a yak design
that incorps a 1 or 2" layer of floation
thruout the yaks hull
uniformly
so it would have 2 layers of hull
with the floatation inside it

a few bulkheads with flotation
might be a handy project too

Last edited by radastaff; 04-21-2010 at 07:24 PM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #69
asystole

Putting a cell phone in a baggy and stowing it on your PFD is a great idea but... If you have a touch screen cell phone, ie; iphone or droid it may not work if your hands are wet and baggies get holes. I bought a cheap little dry pouch for around $4 and will keep my droid in that. I tested it tonight in the sink to see if I could dial the touch screen through the pouch while it was wet and it worked perfectly. This will be a permanent item for my PFD.
asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #70
GregAndrew

Just finished installing my new bungee hold down for my drift chute and hand pump. Thought of a couple of things on the install. Wanted one side of the bungee to be fool proof release, so just a simple plastic hook to wrap the padeye (don't want to be fiddling with a locking terminal). And didn't want to have to leave the center (seat) of my yak to fish it out, so put it in my center hatch. I don't know if my front hatch would stay above water if I had to crawl up there with my yak half filled.

I like the CO2 air bag idea! If you can come up with a small storage device, and a non-electric triggering device that would be easily accessible, and not easily accidentally triggered.

Pool noodles do provide some buoyancy, the relative flotation provided depends on the amount of stuff you have on your yak that is heavier than water. Unfortunately, they also take up some valuable space like the air bladders you can put in the ends of the hull.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #71
yakrider

WOW!
sh*t happens really fast!
thanks for sharing your story..
I must now attach my pump somehow...
never thought about the floating pump floating out of reach...
kinda makes me feel stupid!!
No...REALLY makes me feel stupid...
I have had a leaky Hobie on more than one occasion...
and my tackle tray was floating, my sponge was floating,
but my pump was in the bow and had not floated...yet....
F*ck I feel so retarded...
never even thought about the pump floating out of reach...
just goes to show...even when prepared...things can still go wrong...

I really dig that you fished the the rescuers!!!! way cool!!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #72
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Just finished installing my new bungee hold down for my drift chute and hand pump. Thought of a couple of things on the install. And didn't want to have to leave the center (seat) of my yak to fish it out, so put it in my center hatch. I don't know if my front hatch would stay above water if I had to crawl up there with my yak half filled.

hey greg...
can you take a picture...
I like the sound of your idea...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #73
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abking View Post
I say the pool noodles are NOT utterly useless.

When a shark bites your boat and water cannot be prevented from filling your hull you will be glad to have the noodles keep the boat from sinking.

I'm not looking for paddling performance when a shark is circling - I just want to be able to stay on my boat.

Time for my own experiment...

I'll have it on youtube.
Cool. I would like to do this myself as well. We have a cr@p load of noodles for our pool.

I used to live up in Humboldt. Surf, Fish, Free-dive for Ab's. It's a whole different deal in the water up there. Deadly.....
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #74
bigbarrels

[QUOTE=yakrider;55599]WOW!
sh*t happens really fast!

I agree 100 % Be Prepared and have a plan. Between luck, comfort in the water, good physical fitness (I mtn bike regularly and have been swimming laps recently to prepare for my Mentawaii Islands surf trip next month) knowing the waters I was swimming in (ie. currents, fishing grounds, landmarks, etc), remaining calm (I work in emergency medicine and thus trained to stay calm when the stuff is hitting the fan), and staying focused on the task at hand (but had brief thoughts of my wife and cats (no kids yet) and AquaHunter's picture holding his half eaten WSB with the Condo in the background.....but very brief). Thankfully, it all worked outI was able to get out of a gnarly situation. Went to IHOP for the first time on the way home and ate breakfast (a few bites anyways) and at home laid in a pool of sweat with a high fever (probably a stress reaction) that night and was called into work the next day due to a colleagues family emergency....I was a little tore up but Life is Good ! Hypothermia was my main concern out there! My feet were feeling cold forsure and I think along with Churchill fins I will pack one of my wetsuits in my emergency bag. Again, I appreciate all information that everyone is sharing to help everyone stay safe out there.

[QUOTE=Billy V;55544]Go Play a Lottery Ticket Today - you might still have some of that lucky Karma attached to You.

I did that twice this week

Last edited by bigbarrels; 04-22-2010 at 09:10 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #75
Whizz Bang

Wow

Hell of a story. I am sorry for your loss. That is obviously all of our collective nightmares. Although I gotta say, I am glad it happened to a guy who could handle himself.

And to keep fishing......awesome.

I too, will throw in my name as a guy willing to loan you gear considering I am often away on travel.

I will be gone (ie my gear is available) May 3-7th and again June 4-18th. Pm me if you need to borrow it.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #76
-scallywag-
Banned

holly crap!!! reminds me of the time i sunk a malibu2 in scorpion bay!!! long swim, gill nets, hammerheads....crazy!!!

When the yak sunk did you have a hatch open? I'm guessing you did if it sunk as fast as you said.....

does your (old) bait tank sit inside a hatch with the cover removed?? if so I would have a hard time calling any kayak with that type of tank "seaworthy"

like any other ocean going vessel an open/insecured hatch is just a disaster waiting to happen....even in mild conditions.

OHH yeh and like the others have said....ur a BAMF for finishing the day with a pole in your hands!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #77
troutnut
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
I'm thinking about stuffing some empty 2 liter soda bottles in the empty areas of the yak.
2 liter bottles will only keep your kayak from sinking to the bottom, that's it. They only provide flotation when the water level pushes then against the hull. It is better to wedge pool noodles in the hull for positive flotation. I have 10+ stuffed in the stern of my Trident 15, some large size, some the skinny Walmart ones. The large ones are under the seat, and I put the rod butts in the holes to keep my reels off the bottom. But I am going to tether my pump today, and I have a spare bilge pump for my other boat in the garage, I'm going to wire it up and install it this weekend.

Glad your ok Big Barrel. I'm also glad it was your "teachable moment" and not mine. I would have been waving as I sunk to the bottom.
troutnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #78
bigbarrels

[QUOTE=-scallywag-;55633]holly crap!!! reminds me of the time i sunk a malibu2 in scorpion bay!!! long swim, gill nets, hammerheads....crazy!!!

Sounds sketchy! glad you made it! How did you go down?

Q: When the yak sunk did you have a hatch open? I'm guessing you did if it sunk as fast as you said.....

A: All hatches were closed when on the water and as I was sinking I openened and closed the front hatch in search of the sump pump and then opened and closed the center hatch in search of the sump pump.....so I 'm thinking the entire system failure was the rear hatch where the bait tank was sitting in.....I'm glad it actually sank fast because I would have probably hung on tho the kayak or sat on it and then with the southward current ended up who knows where.....I was therefore able to stay in the fishing grounds during my swim and have a better chance of a pick up by a private boat or fellow kayaker

Q: does your (old) bait tank sit inside a hatch with the cover removed?? if so I would have a hard time calling any kayak with that type of tank "seaworthy"

A: Yes, that was the setup. I was skeptical of the setup sometime after buying it......but never had any issues with it......but then I always ran it on the timer.....I will always have a bait tank that sits on top now and does not communicate with the inside of the kayak...
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #79
herbo

Soooo glad you are Ok that is one story with a truly happy ending. About what to use to dry out your cell phone;try those little bags of silica absorbant you see in shoe boxes,electronic gear etc. fill a plastic container(like an empty peanut butter jar) with this stuff,than put your cell phone in it, it will wick the moisture away from it.......H
Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #80
Lets_Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbo View Post
About what to use to dry out your cell phone;try those little bags of silica absorbant you see in shoe boxes,electronic gear etc. fill a plastic container(like an empty peanut butter jar) with this stuff,than put your cell phone in it, it will wick the moisture away from it.......H
Thanks herbo!

I just googled for "silicone moisture absorbent" and found this link http://www.silicagelpackets.com/irec...rying-kit.html
Thay have a bag that you just place your phone or camera into and seal it for 72 hours to pull the moisture out.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote