Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
zenspearo

What you guys accomplished--one person's view

A few RSG members came and spoke to me and some called. To a man, they said that without our presence, all the black shirts and orange tags, Meg Caldwell's first amendment would have been accepted. It was orchestrated with all the supporting RSGs getting first words in, complaining about unfair voting, complaining about being intimidated, complaining about the middle ground arrays being duplicative. Six or seven supporting RSGs came up to plead for external C, and they bitched and they flopped around. Then they all asked for external C to move forward "just so we can see the science data." Meg Caldwell then had a ready-to-go amendment to move external C forward so the SAT data for XC can be made available for review. Sounds innocuous right? Afterall, our side has been complaining about lack of data, and here they are saying they just want to get more data. uh huh...

One problem.

There were about 100 black shirts and orange tags in the room, all saying no. And to a person, I don't think anyone was fooled. She had to try a much watered-down approach, and that got through but it was clearly a disappointment for the enviros. They all took off, and that's telling.

What you accomplished was to remove External C from being evaluated by the Science Advisory Team. It's a no-brainer that the way they set up the scoring, the larger the closure, the better the science scores. It would put pressure on the moderate/cross-interest arrays in the other 6 maps.

Last edited by zenspearo; 06-04-2009 at 07:31 PM.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
zenspearo

More importantly, what you accomplished was to prevent External C from being paraded at every hometown roadshow workshops in June and July. You denied the most extreme, rabid anti-fishing crowd from having a rally point at these hometown roadshow workshops. They can't go to the San Diego workshop and rally around the closure of all the productive fishing spots off La Jolla. The RSGs and the BRTF already rejected it as too radical. They can't go to PV and rally around the closure of all the productive spots of PV. That too is off the table for the roadshow workshops.

Believe you me, that is huge. You all did it.

Yes, the concepts behind External C can be incorporated into the third round after the road show but support for External C ideas has be weaker today. Meg Caldwell's failed first amendment can be argued to show that none of the other BRTF members support the External C array as a whole. Certainly the RSGs rejected it. And the overwhelming weight of the public showing up today rejected it. She may have done us a favor with that failed first amendment (or more accurately, she has done our RSGs a favor going into round 3). Her failed amendment illustrated concretely how little stomach there is for External C among other BRTFs.

Whatever the case, you all showed up, did marvelously, and won the day. Without you, the professionals said that the result would have been completely different, disastrously different.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
kurt

Thank you, Joe. For all your hard work.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Sunburn
Junior

Great post. I feel good

After I left the meeting at 11am and went back to work, I put the meeting on my computer while I worked.

When no one "2nd" to Meg's motion and you guys all cheered and clapped........ I was pumping my fist and yelling at my computer screen at work........

Then my feed buffered out and I was not sure what happened when it came back because they was voting on something and I was not sure....that's always a major bonner killer....and had to leave the room.

Mark
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
zenspearo

Now you have to go to your hometown workshops to beat down any attempt to bring back the ghost of this polarizing and extreme External C. But that's easier than External C being an official map that you have to try to beat down. However, that is still a task to be done--and if you don't, bits and pieces of this failed proposal will be snuck back into round 3 maps based on "overwhelming support from the public".

Our public, the ones in black shirts, must not allow that "overwhelming support" for any hint of the ghost of External C from being a reality in any of our hometowns. We need to continue to overwhelm and crush this extreme approach.

Like we did today. Thank you. Thank you.

From one very tired zenspearo--I'm getting some sleep.

Last edited by zenspearo; 06-04-2009 at 10:12 PM.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenspearo View Post

Like we did today. Thank you. Thank you.

From one very tired zenspearo--I'm getting some sleep.
Thank you Joe! Now get some well deserved rest!!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
LocoKayako

Jose, thank you!!! Thank you for all your support, advice and your hard work in keeping us all updated.

Get some rest and thank you again

Gabe
Old 06-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
herbo

Thanx Joe for your hard work, glad to have been there, and will try to attend more until we win the battle over this political BS.....H
Old 06-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
Matt
Support your local pangas

Joe and Chris and everyone else thank you for your tireless efforts!! I will continue to wear BLACk until we switch to something else. I personally don't care if they feel "intimidated" that is their own projection of their own insecurities, and I was stoked to see them lose external C and be bummed out by that.

However the war is NOT won by any means, if anything this is the first in what I hope to be many victories for us fisherman/conservation/consumptive users! Be aware that since the huggers* and sea kitten lovers lost this one, they will be sure to turn out in force at ths San Diego meetings. They are very motivated and probably reinvigorated now to try and shut us down. With the coming SD meetings it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE THAT EVERY SAN DIEGO KAYAK AND BOAT AND SHORE ANGLER ATTEND THESE MEETINGS OR AT LEAST ONE OF THE MEETINGS. The Huggers will be in force and definitely trying to push through things that will affect all of our fisheries. They use very smart tactics like letting the fisherman line up first and say "no on c" and then get at the back of the line and in one giant group to all say "yes I have a PHD and am a parent vote to keep C in!" gotta give them credit that was a slick well orchestrated move. Fortunately there were a great many fisherman behind them to make it clear that "c" was an unacceptable proposal and downright unfair.

We have only won the first battle and be aware that the "HUGGERS"* are activist's by nature and will come after us hard now! C'mon ladies and gentleman we can win this fight!!!!!

The next meetings will be at the end of June, so fish your asses off until then and at the end of June get in the FIGHT!!!!

*I call them Huggers as I feel they unfairly label us as non-conservationists, where in reality we are very much conservationists that fish!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoKayako View Post
Jose, thank you!!! Thank you for all your support, advice and your hard work in keeping us all updated.

Gabe
His name is "Joe"....just cuz your name is Jose, don't try and make him one also!

Yes, JOE.....thank you very much!

Nice seeing everyone there yesterday. I'm going to go down and support you guys at the 29th meeting in Carlsbad, plus it helps me prepare when it arrives up this way....and maybe I'll get lucky and have another chance to grab Nates ass again, he likes that

On another thread about Turfrider Foundation....they suck and to think I use to support them back in my teeny bopper days. Read a thread on the spearo board that they are boycotting their sponsors, maybe we can coordinate with them and let them feel the economic impacts even before this MLPA begins It will be tough cuz a couple of the local grinds supporting them are staple to me...."The Loft" and "Rascals" My F'n nephew works at Rascals!

What else....ummmm....oh, I call them Enviromental Preservation Extremist and then subsequently just refer to them as "Extremists" in communications, and we are the Conservationist.....I think that is what we're suppose to be doing?
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
LocoKayako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
His name is "Joe"....just cuz your name is Jose, don't try and make him one also!

Yes, JOE.....thank you very much!
Yes, sorry, I meant JOE.

Thank you JOE.

JOE
Old 06-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I drove by the launch on the way home to check conditions. It was windy. I saw a kayaker heading out fishing...

WTF

For the next meetings I am sending a paddy wagon down to the shores and to Dana point. Everyone that tries to launch will instead be shanghai'd, rounded up and transported to the MLPA roadshow to speak.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
For the next meetings I am sending a paddy wagon down to the shores and to Dana point. Everyone that tries to launch will instead be shanghai'd, rounded up and transported to the MLPA roadshow to speak.
Tyler the Prester...startin' up his own press gang...good idea...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
zenspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoKayako View Post
Yes, sorry, I meant JOE.

Thank you JOE.

JOE
It's all good guys. Thanks for the kudos.

Now, who wants to take over? I need more zzz time.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
Jim Sammons LJKF

Thanks Joe and Thanks everyone that took the time to go to the meeting and stand up for our rights. I was amazing to shut those enviros down. With that said, I wonder if they will let themselves be out numbered like that again. We need to make sure we keep up the push and keep those meetings full of fisherman.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
Willy

Yes, well done Joe and all who motivated and kept the troops interested and fired up.

This was my fisrt meeting and won't be my last.

One think I found appalingly clear, was Ms. Caldwell's bias. Right from her first chance to speak, there was no hiding what her intentions were, and who she is beholden to.

I also found it ironic how the enviro's used the classic double-speak of saying they needed "C" to show both sides so we can identify the middle ground. BOTH SIDES?!!?

Where's the blank map with no lines on it at all????

That's both sides.
This process began left of center and the true middle ground was never touched.
I also like how the enviro's seem to think the middle ground is anything that reflects their ideas.

Anyway, I love being lectured by academics about how I should manage my life and the environment, because I'm surely too stupid to handle it for myself.

Tomorrow the 6th, is the 65th anniversary of D-day. Take a minute and give a quiet deep thought to what those men accomplished for our freedom, and the freedom of millions. And what all men and women in uniform are allowing us.
Because I fear our freedom is slipping away now.

Again well done all,

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Tomorrow the 6th, is the 65th anniversary of D-day. Take a minute and give a quiet deep thought to what those men accomplished for our freedom, and the freedom of millions. And what all men and women in uniform are allowing us.
Because I fear our freedom is slipping away now.

Again well done all,

Willy
You're Damn Right Willy

There have been many times I have wanted to liken this fight to WW2, in order to get the lazy folks off their arses and fight for themselves regarding this corrupt MLPA Process.

If You fish from a Kayak, or are a Spearo, or a Surf Fisherman you need to give 100% participation in this fight.

Don't sit there like a p*ssy.
Get Up... Show Up... Speak Up
------------------------------
-If you want to get beat up, and robbed by a bunch of environmentalist college kids, then continue to do nothing.

Last edited by Billy V; 06-06-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Bpcode3
Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
I Likey
Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
so cal shaggy

Any groups finest hour is that moment when they have worked their hearts out in a good cause and lie exhausted on the field of battle.