Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Afran
fishy

(MLPA) When are the Shimanos, Daiwas, ETC big Companies going to fight?

You would have to think that Shimano, Daiwa, Berkley, Avet, Accurate, ETC would want to fight the MLPA with an ani-MLPA marketing campaign?

MARKETING BUDGET
  • TV NEWS
  • AM RADIO NEWS
  • MASS Emails
  • Press Releases
  • LOBBYING (For crying out load!!! Throw some cash at it).

I am not as well educated in this law or the democracy, but hopefully someone from one of the big companies has their ears on the ground and commits some Marketing dollars to this cause.

They'll also lose their asses if the MLPA gets their way.
You staff guys should be in your reps ear.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Grego

The owner and CEO of Malibu Kayaks has showed up at the Santa Ana meeting and will be showing up at the LA meeting, he's also sent in at least one letter that I know of because I drafted it for him. I've also seen the owner and CEO of OEX at the Santa Ana meeting. I also know that Hook1 has been sending in letters and also contacted his local media.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Don't count on them to save your fishing spots. The only person who can help you, is you and your friends. Are you going be there? Sending letters is nice, but can be easily ignored. They can't ignore all 100+ people at public comment.

Some small tackle manufacturer was speaking at Oxnard, and Santa Ana. I think shimano has an RSG rep. I too am dissapointed in what seems like their lack of interest. Maybe I am wrong and they are into it more than I know behind the scenes. The bottom line is not what are they doing, but what are you doing?

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Afran
fishy

Good to hear some owners have shown up.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

I've written my letters. More to be mailed...

Thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
PAL

Most tackle manufacturers and some kayak makers are members of the American Sportfishing Association or ASA. The ASA is the founding member of the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans. Many well known fishing groups are PSO members - SAC (sportboats), the IGFA, UASC, NMMA (boat manufs), Berkley Conservation Institute, Coastside - as well as some not so well known such as the KFACA.

The manufacturers contribute the big dollars behind the PSO's efforts, and those include employing a lobbyist. I've mentioned him here previously.

Although it would be nice to see more manufacturers at the hearings, it is inaccurate to say they are doing nothing.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
so cal shaggy

I agree

I have been asked that by numerous people when explaining to them about this process and I cannot figure it out either especially spearfishing companies based here in So Cal. I have only seen Jay Riffe at one meeting and it was a publ;ic workshop at the Laguna Beach council chambers. He did not speak he just sat there and neither of his daughters were there either. I would think that Riffe and JBL would have a huge stake in this process and would be making sure their presense was made at these meetings. Even if companies are members of the ASA, PSO, UA,IGFA, UASC and NMMA they should still send a company rep to the meetings to make a public showing that they are involved.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
tacmik

Afron: After reading your post, I e-mailed Shimano yesterday and asked them what they were doing if anything. Received a reply today and they said that they were behind us all the way. They have been attending meetings and supporting the ASA. tacmik
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Most tackle manufacturers and some kayak makers are members of the American Sportfishing Association or ASA. The ASA is the founding member of the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans. Many well known fishing groups are PSO members - SAC (sportboats), the IGFA, UASC, NMMA (boat manufs), Berkley Conservation Institute, Coastside - as well as some not so well known such as the KFACA.

The manufacturers contribute the big dollars behind the PSO's efforts, and those include employing a lobbyist. I've mentioned him here previously.

Although it would be nice to see more manufacturers at the hearings, it is inaccurate to say they are doing nothing.
They also are fighting in this Economy to stay afloat. And to find funds and translating "Spending money now" - "profit later", Is a tough thing to grasp when confidence in the buisness market is low. The fishign buisness owners that have and do show up to meetings and speak, Is in my humble opinion worth more than any amount of money they can throw at it.

Like during the Tsunamis, Goign threw a donation organization sending 10 dollars, and an Indian gentlemen really only seeing 3 dollars of the aid. Same happens with many large companies who put money out torwards somethign like that. Just how it is.

During the Tsunamis, I just looked up a Indian guy that had his house bulldozed by the wave(s) And through paypal I sent him the 10 bucks, He got all of it, and im sure used it for whatever he wanted He was pretty thankfull.

Buisnesses understand that as well. Maybe why you dont see a huge involvement, though alot of it im sure is behind the scenes.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote