Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #21
Hunters Pa

If you are looking to gear up for a fair price get in touch with John (fishaholic)

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=33352

I have bought from him before and been happy with the transaction
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #22
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
....I saw it in turners outdoorsman....
Eh, you lost me at Turners. There is A TON of great used gear available online, and MUCH better shops than Turners. SoCal has a huge amount of high quality stuff on the resale market that wont break the bank. Your buddies suggestion is a great one, but there are numerous options out there.

Rod length is a matter of preference. In my opinion, if I'm casting and covering a lot of water, I would stick to 8' rods. If you are dropping directly down into kelp, or just pitching bait/plastics to targets, 7' will work. I have and use both consistently. When you get out there in the open water and need that extra distance, or accuracy, you will see what I'm talking about.

I used to think I needed shorter rods for the kayak, and then I learned my gear better and got more comfortable. Now I fish the same way/gear on my kayak as I do on charter and sport boats.

Casting vs Conventional vs Spinning. Lever drag vs Star drag. Glass vs Carbonfiber vs Composite. Braid vs Mono vs Fluoro. All of the gear out there can be used to accomplish what you are looking to do so long as its setup accordingly. Here is my suggestion on kelp fishing...

7-8' carbon or composite casting stick in a moderate weight (30lbs ish.) You want a fast tip and strong butt section to put pressure against the kelp. I would look into finding a 300 or 400 sized casting or conventional reel, then fill it with 50-65lbs braid. The braid works like a saw against the kelp aiding in slicing through it. Depending on the bite or visibility, you can terminal directly to the braid, or tip it with 3-4' of fluorocarbon leader.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #23
Kingpen818
Junior

YouTube is an excellent source for learning how to launch your kayak in the Surf. I have launched from La Jolla at least four times and have never flipped my kayak. I did however have a very stable but budget friendly kayak. I used a 11.6ft Perception Striker Angler Kayak that is rated for 500 pounds. I was a pretty big guy at about 280 but have since lost weight and I'm currently down to 245 good luck with your Kayaking adventures and if you ever want to meet up and Kayak fish Lake Perris let me know and maybe we can meet up.
Kingpen818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #24
kevbeer

thanks guys.

golden, can you specify what pounds test on the flourcarbon leader?
kevbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #25
goldenglory18

Quote:
thanks guys.

golden, can you specify what pounds test on the flourcarbon leader?
It depends on the bite.

I always use braid main line specifically so you can retie any weight of leader in case the bite is slow, or you are fishing around odd cover/structure.

For me, its 40lbs leader when I know the bite isn't line shy, or I'm in/around heavy cover or structure. Rocks, kelp, etc.

If I'm fishing open water, say fly lining fin bait, maybe think about 20lbs.

I ALWAYS have 40, 30, 20, and now 15lbs line available in my bag just in case. Each of the last few times I've been out, it's been slow until I went down to 20lbs test. One time I was out of 15 and REALLLLLY could have used it (the bait was small and the yellows were SUPER line shy.)
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #26
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Regarding La Jolla, check out You Tube's kayak mishaps and wipeouts. Listen to these seasoned Kayakers and get a stable kayak 'rd 12-13ft length. Good Luck!
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #27
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Check out You Tubes kayak's mishaps and wipeouts at La Jolla. Listened to these Seasoned Kayakers and get a 12-13' SOT kayak. Good Luck
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #28
kevbeer

So I have purchased:

-Stroker 7 ft. casting rod 15-40 lb action, on sale at big5
-Penn Warfare Star Drag 20N conventional reel, 15 lb. max drag
-KastKing SuperPower 50 lb braided line - low visibility grey

Is that line the best braided to go with? Or at least decent? I can return if not. Sounds like maybe it is on the thicker side at .4 mm?

What type of hooks should I use for la jolla kelp? 2/0 circular? I plan to run 6 foot 30 lb. mono leader for a while, then graduate to 30 lb flouro at some point.

Last edited by kevbeer; 10-15-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #29
goldenglory18

Quote:
So I have purchased:

-Stroker 7 ft. casting rod 15-40 lb action, on sale at big5
-Penn Warfare Star Drag 20N conventional reel, 15 lb. max drag
-KastKing SuperPower 50 lb braided line - low visibility grey

Is that line the best braided to go with? Or at least decent? I can return if not. Sounds like maybe it is on the thicker side at .4 mm?

What type of hooks should I use for la jolla kelp? 2/0 circular? I plan to run 6 foot 30 lb. mono leader for a while, then graduate to 30 lb flouro at some point.
Meh, on a rod/reel combo like that, I'd drop down to 40lbs braid (visibility doesnt matter in your situation), and get a few leader spools 20/30/40. My line preference is Seaguar Premier leader and Daiwa J-Braid in high-viz colors.

Take the reel to a shop and have them spool it up correctly. It will be cheaper in the long run and with braid on conventional reels is VERY important to make sure it gets spooled tight and neat.

Hooks all depend on size of bait (what are you doing for bait?) Remember, J hooks (flyline, gorilla, drop shot) typically need a solid hook set to catch a lip or mouth plate correctly. Circle hooks (Mutu) on the other hand don't need a hook set. Just apply pressure and reel, reel, reel.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #30
kevbeer

Thanks GoldenGlory. I will take your advice.

So this weekend I am hoping to get out in the open ocean on my dinky Kayak. I have researched livewell and livebait, however, to keep it simple I am just going to fish plastics and metals. I just need to get out there and build some time on the water.

So I was thinking La Jolla because really I do not know any better/easier place to try for my first time out in open ocean. Please suggest something local to SD if you want.

So La Jolla. See attached image. I am paddling so shorter is better. I am thinking to putz around in the yellow circled area. I understand it is 1 mile paddle if I launch from the Kellogg park area? Is there better launch point like around the coves? I know there are restrictions.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LJ_routes_1.JPG (119.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #31
kevbeer

fell Ill Thursday and didn't get around to getting out until sunday 11 am. went to mission bay instead. feeling more confident with trip #2. I am thinking maybe get 3+ more bay trips before I even go open ocean. casting distance and padeling speed had noticeable improvement, among other things.