Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #61
batty1of3

i just feel the upper body workout is better than just legs
in fact for weight loss upper body workouts burn more calories since the legs were made for doing repetitive steady work like walking and running upper body is more built for using bursts or energy like lifting or throwing
that being said i would use whatever i can to get out on the water
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #62
Aaron

Avery,
That was a great summary. Thanks. The only thing I didn't like was your use of comic sans! Good lord I hate that font.
-Aaron
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #63
aftahour

i want a hobie.
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #64
IntrntFshrman

Why not have both? After a couple of 'harrowing' surf entrances where I really wish I had the hobie pedals to haul ass, I am thinking of getting the pro-angler (I am a 'plus' size guy...) and see no reason why you can't use the pedals when you need them (surf launch, chasing boils) but paddle otherwise for the exercise.

Seems to me it's nice to have the drive for those times you need that burst of speed.

I can't wait for summer!!
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #65
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

I would like to try a peddle boat but I cannot see myself wanting nor needing to own one!
I like the upper body work out and the simplicity of a paddle boat.
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #66
Willy

Hobie = Prius?

No doubt, Hobie's are super cool.

However, there is something within me that boils in my gut as one scoots by.

At first I thought...what's that smell? Jealously? Is that coming from my boat?
Then I realized it. It was the look on the face of the Hobie guy.

It's the same look on the face of the Prius guy as he drives by you in the carpool lane, all by himself;
chin just a little higher...lips slightly curled back into a super self satisfied sneer.

Did he just raise a pinky as he adjusted that rudder!?!

He's not doing it on purpose.
He does it when he's alone too.
He doesn't know he's doing it at all.
Let him be.

As I chug along, burning gas, cursing the guy rigging up his poles as he's going forward into the current...I realize the smell is coming from my boat.

Meh.
Curse you Hobie guy.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #67
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I am just happy to be out on the water fishing off a floating chunk of plastic guys.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #68
TCS

Classic post Willy! The smog of the La Jolla's been getting better, but it's being quickly replace by a big cloud of smug!

btw. just bought and adventure, working on the pinky flex.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #69
walrus

Kayak fishing?

Basically the way I see it, it doesn't matter if you peddle or paddle. I don't care if your kayka is plastic or animal skins.

When you're kayak is full of fish, I just want to know what you're doing to catch the fish.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #70
Spyder

I would like to give a Hobie a test drive. I have been paddling a Cobra F&D for years now and although I like the stability and capacity, my shoulders and back and killing me by the time I get off the water. Where is the nearest dealer in SD?
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #71
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Where is the nearest dealer in SD?
OEX Oceanside, support my good friend Nate, and BWE sponsor...!

http://www.oexoceanside.com/

Fastlane is cool too.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #72
steamroll

Thanks Chris
Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #73
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecollins86 View Post
Why not have both? After a couple of 'harrowing' surf entrances where I really wish I had the Hobie pedals to haul ass, I am thinking of getting the pro-angler (I am a 'plus' size guy...) and see no reason why you can't use the pedals when you need them (surf launch, chasing boils) but paddle otherwise for the exercise.

Seems to me it's nice to have the drive for those times you need that burst of speed.

I can't wait for summer!!
I had the same thought when I bought my Revo. I really like paddling a kayak when just out joy riding. I thought I would use the peddles when fishing and leave them at home when going out with one of my paddling friends for a leisurely cruise.

Never happened!

The only time I break out the paddle is when I need to go into the kelp, shift into reverse gear or when launching or landing. Maybe I just got lazy or maybe I am now just too smug to be bothered with paddles. Whatever it is, I am very content to use the peddles just about all the time.

Please don't hate me for this.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #74
flydigital

my 2 cents...

I used to paddle until my shoulders were giving me too much trouble. I could either stop/slow my kayak fishing frequency or switch to pedal drive. Easy choice.

First time out in the new hobie I definately noticed a different attitude towards me by paddlers. Basically I got less respect. Big deal, I'm still out there fishing and enjoying myself, even more now.

I thought at first that the exercise level would be better with the pedals (more cardio) but it turns out that is not the case. The hobie is more efficient for propulsion than paddling, and you work less. Lately I've been paddling on my way back in for the extra workout (the Revo is a pretty good paddler when used with the rudder), so I get the best of both worlds.

Fishing performance wise, I don't think there is any measuable difference between pedal or paddle. Each needs to be used with a different technique to maximize potential but in the end its all the same. The only edge I see is that the hobie can move more consistently through all kinds of conditions, and since it takes less work you can go further.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #75
peguinpower
bing!

I have a nice paddling kayak, and the Hobie Revo. I use both. Happy with both. I bring one out, I get lower body exercise, the other and I get upper body. I'd use the paddling kayak more if it also had a thru hull transducer. But I'm not inclined to bore a hole in another hull............ for a while
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 AM   #76
MVC

I have a Prowler 13 and a Hobie Revo. I use them both. I like the Prowler for the bays. It is easier to fish around the docks. If I am going to go a long distance, I always take the Hobie.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #77
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
On another board, it seems there is a bias against Hobies. Why is that?
Which board? Who said what? I always love these somebody said something posts.

The gripes I have heard about Hobies is they do not paddle well or stay straight when paddling them in the surf.

I think they have brilliant drives but that drives ability has let Hobie get away with making essentially low performance hulls.

You can tell just by looking at them they are inefficient and would paddle poorly. In fact if you own a hobie and want to see what I'm talking about, I suggest you leave your drive at home one day and just paddle all day and you'll quickly see why some do not like them.

To me it all makes no sense. Hobie could easily put their drives in better hulls and they would be even faster then they are, even better kayaks.

I considered buying one but after checking them out I just bought a drive and I'm going to mount it in better more efficient kayak that will paddle and peddle well.

Just my take..

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-20-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #78
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Jim, we all know that you are a craftsman and an innovator. I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing whatever you end up mounting your Mirage drive into. I just hope that it is not made of metal.

I love my Revo but what you say is true. The design could be improved but why should Hobie do it if they are selling all they can make. Hobies are kind of like iPhones. The product works well and they have earned a semi-cult following. Baby-steps in improvements are often touted as revolutionary events. You pay a premium price for the unique features offered in iPhones and Hobie kayaks.

As mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, it appears that some of us who are fortunate enough to have a Hobie may have taken on a bit of arrogance, even snobbishness. I hope that is not the case but it certainly could be true. If so, I am sure that it is unintentional.

Maybe if you come up with a game changing design, someone will take notice and run with it. If that happens, we would all win.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #79
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

You can tell just by looking at them they are inefficient and would paddle poorly. In fact if you own a hobie and want to see what I'm talking about, I suggest you leave your drive at home one day and just paddle all day and you'll quickly see why some do not like them.
I have a Hobie Adventure. I do take it out sans mirage drive sometimes. It paddles and tracks a million times better than my old eXtreme, or the old ok scrambler I used to rent. Its like a 16 ft dagger. It isn't going to be as efficient as a tarpon 160, but relatively speaking, it paddles better than some other "traditional" kayaks on the market. I also used to have an outback. Exactly like paddling an giant egg...

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #80
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Which board? Who said what? I always love these somebody said something posts.

The gripes I have heard about Hobies is they do not paddle well or stay straight when paddling them in the surf.

I think they have brilliant drives but that drives ability has let Hobie get away with making essentially low performance hulls.

To me it all makes no sense. Hobie could easily put their drives in better hulls and they would be even faster then they are, even better kayaks.

I considered buying one but after checking them out I just bought a drive and I'm going to mount it in better more efficient kayak that will paddle and peddle well.

Just my take..

Jim
I didn't mention the site's name out of respect for them and the site mods/owners. I'm a mod on another site and we have a strict 'no bashing' other sites policy so we refrain from specifically mentioning them when there are criticisms.

However since you asked, PM sent.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote