Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

you think that size wieghs 70lbs?

wtg on finally gettin one. im going to NPH sunday and hopefully get something out there.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
you think that size wieghs 70lbs?

wtg on finally gettin one. im going to NPH sunday and hopefully get something out there.
Including the tail yes. I have caught rays up to 80lbs this actually felt heavier lol
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

I am jealous! Nice catch......35-40 lb absolute max though, no way that things pushing 70
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtobolsky View Post
I am jealous! Nice catch......35-40 lb absolute max though, no way that things pushing 70
Ditto.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

20-25 pounds for that baby - max.
Your first thresher is always fun - only keep what you can eat, please release the rest.

here's a link to a verified 100 pounder one of my friends caught just recently.

http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/smf...ic,2688.0.html
Montesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/cal...ease-first.htm

if you plan on catching and releasing threshers please read the attached link on the web link above. the majority of thresher sharks that are caught with sportfishing gear are tail hooked. thresher sharks, like all sharks are ram ventilators, which means in order to breath they need to be swimming forward. when tail hooked threshers get pulled in backwards which is often makes it difficult for the shark to breath. as a result, many thresher sharks die after being released. a recent study done by PIER shows that tail hooked threshers that are fought for an extended amount of time usually die after being released. keep that into mind the next time you hook up to a thresher.

you said it took 45 min to an hour to reel in your shark. i would call that an extended amount of time. in reality you could have had that fish boatside in less than 5 minutes on 30 lb test. maybe if you went to the gym more the shark wouldn't seem heavier than it actually is and you might have been able to pull back on it? that is probably the smallest thresher shark i have ever seen killed... nice fish

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
YakMedic

awesome job , I've been following your attempts at a Tshark, glad it finally paid off for you congrats. Don't let anybody kill your stoke, you caught your target species after multiple attempts and you got an decent harvest. The only advice I would give is to cut its gills prior to thowing it between your legs.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
carbonbass

Thanks for the correction on the weight guys. Maybe because its so stout it felt heavier to me looking at others 40 ish seems more reasonable, 70 or 40 still the biggest fish I have taken on the yak, hope I don't give off a cold shoulder killing this baby, I really am a c & r fisherman but many have told me these guys taste better than swords, I only keep what I eat, I won't keep another for a long time cheers.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote