Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
TheUnlucky
Junior

How to tie down gear

How do i tie down my rods? is tying down the same as leashing? Also where do i put my paddle when I'm fishing? do i just clip it to the side? And where do i keep my dolly after i launch?

Last edited by TheUnlucky; 03-23-2016 at 01:31 PM.
TheUnlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnlucky View Post
How do i tie down my rods? is tying down the same as leashing? Also where do i put my paddle when I'm fishing? do i just clip it to the side? And where do i keep my dolly after i launch?
I have kinda the same question, I see all you vets saying, "Store your gear before you launch," especially after seeing the vid of the yard sale/sabiki hooks in guys hand, ouch! :/ But in say my stealth 14', all my gear won't fit in the front hatch, do you guys just like bungee everything together before launching and lay it flat alongside where you sit?

Last edited by stevie951; 03-23-2016 at 02:10 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnlucky View Post
Good questions. Tying down/leashing seems to be the same but rod placement prob differentiates. I'm always amazed on the guys launching or coming in during larger waves with their rods up and their fish finders in place, but that's just me. I've had an Outback, Revo and now a PA14. All three have been kind of the same set up (the PA14 has rod sleeves for the tips). I start with PLENTY of leashes...maybe (8) sets

• I bundle up the rods with (2) leashes and secure them to a rail/rod holder, etc...inside, upper edge of my kayak (opposite of rudder control)
  • If the launch or landing looks sketchy, I pull the reels off and place them inside my bait tank. Then leash the rods in same location
  • Bait tank also stores batteries, fish finder and other goodies during launch and land. Extra space filled with dry bags and clothes to minimize banging around if I do take a spill.
  • Larger dead fish are leashed same way as rods on either side...wherever there's space.
  • Light, sturdy stuff goes down below (hand pump, bait net, etc...)
  • Dolly fits on back side of bait tank secured down by a...leash!
  • Paddle is strapped down with the elastic ties (w orange ball). Easy to free up if needed. Velcro would work too.
Here's an older pic that shows some of that...rods and paddle leashed. Paddle on outside of yak, rods on inside. Fish were untied for pic.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user3383_pic711_1311345810[1].jpg (38.4 KB, 220 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 03-23-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
all my gear won't fit in the front hatch, do you guys just like bungee everything together before launching and lay it flat alongside where you sit?
I had a rod pod, but rarely used it. Instead, I'd use the rod pod straps to secure both the pod cover and my fishing rods. Rods down in front of me during every landing.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Denis_Ruso

I think the answer is very dependent on the type of kayak you have and rigging available. Some kayaks have inside the hull hatches where you can put the rods away.

In my case, I have a Cobra kayak which has a giant hatch into the hull. I am able to store all my gear and my rods inside. However recently I have been taking off the reels and putting them into a drybag before putting it inside the hull as it gets a little wet in there.(that's what she said)
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Good questions. Tying down/leashing seems to be the same but rod placement prob differentiates. I'm always amazed on the guys launching or coming in during larger waves with their rods up and their fish finders in place, but that's just me. I've had an Outback, Revo and now a PA14. All three have been kind of the same set up (the PA14 has rod sleeves for the tips). I start with PLENTY of leashes...maybe (8) sets

• I bundle up the rods with (2) leashes and secure them to a rail/rod holder, etc...inside, upper edge of my kayak (opposite of rudder control)
  • If the launch or landing looks sketchy, I pull the reels off and place them inside my bait tank. Then leash the rods in same location
  • Bait tank also stores batteries, fish finder and other goodies during launch and land. Extra space filled with dry bags and clothes to minimize banging around if I do take a spill.
  • Larger dead fish are leashed same way as rods on either side...wherever there's space.
  • Light, sturdy stuff goes down below (hand pump, bait net, etc...)
  • Dolly fits on back side of bait tank secured down by a...leash!
  • Paddle is strapped down with the elastic ties (w orange ball). Easy to free up if needed. Velcro would work too.
Here's an older pic that shows some of that...rods and paddle leashed. Paddle on outside of yak, rods on inside. Fish were untied for pic.

Jim
take note. the professor is in. . .
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
take note. the professor is in. . .
Absolutely right, thanks for the help Deamon! Took my kayak out a couple times already any never noticed the straps there to hold the paddle/poles, Andy @ OEX even pointed those out to me :/ Just put elastic ties on the straps for more support as well Thanks again for the insight!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 6.26.10 PM.png (41.2 KB, 148 views)
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Anything you don't want to sink to the bottom of the ocean should be leashed. To me, a leash is what we use to hook things to the kayak. Same as a lanyard.

Stowing and bundling is how we secure things when we are launching/landing or when they are not being used.

When I launch or land, I always bundle everything on one side in one bundle - rods, gaff, etc. It's bundled and fastened horizontally on one side, allowing me to jump out easily on the opposite side if necessary.

I seriously can't imagine rolling a kayak in the surf with rods sticking up every which-way in the rod holders, whether they are leashed or not. Think about it. If we have to roll, it should be tight, easy and graceful, without losing anything, including any fish we caught.

My all time favorite ties for bundling poles, wet or dry, are 3/4" strips of old t-shirt material. Full length from the collar to the bottom. They curl into a cord naturally and have just the right amount of stretch to hold simple knots together wet or dry. They clamp down gently on whatever is in the bundle. The knots untie when the time comes just as easily.

On my Outback, I secure my horizontal bundle onto two rod holders, front and back. Everything small is latched under a hatch. I have a chin strap on my hat and I have those hose-thingy's behind the ears of my eyeglasses so I don't lose those.

The night before I go fishing I think about my fishing strategy for the next morning. I pack my kayak and secure the bundled rods, etc., in advance so I don't waste time prepping these things in the morning before I launch. I roll the whole thing out of my van ready to launch.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-24-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

What a tease you are :P
Old 03-24-2016, 03:01 AM   #10
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post

What a tease you are :P
Ahhh...I called her the Blue Roller, lol. I miss her and I don't. Fairly easy to bust through most surf but a mixed bag when landing. Flipping her back over not too difficult when everything's strapped down or stowed. Load her down with lobster gear or a toad fish and it was game on, requiring closer attention, lol. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote