Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Hypoxic1

Flipped by a whale Tues

Launched early with Josh looking for a great day on the water after 2 solid months of work. Made mass squid and went offshore looking for rocky spots. The temp was much cooler 15 deg than monday. cruising around with an HDS 5 looking at bottom contour is like watching a movie, the detail is spectacular.
Caught a few fish, one Sheephead that wasnt even hooked, it was rolled up in the line probably from going the small rockfish that had actually been hooked. Took the sheephead and 1 white fish and decided the cold just wasnt matching the reward so I said adios to the Darkhorse and headed in . No way I can match that dudes stamina on the water. Shit I bet dude wouldnt even return to base if it wasnt for running out of food and water.

So Im done and headed in from like 200 feet of water. I have an evolve so I kik it up to about 40 percent power and pedal in. About a half a mile after I left Josh I get lifted out of the water and flipped on my ass. after I hit the water I look up and see my kayak upside down and its about 7 feet away from me. There are swirls on the water but no sign of what hit me, and no boat for at least 1000 yards.

This all happened in what seemed like 100th of a second.
I was wearing my waders and a splash jacket all day due to the cold Probably a minute to get the boat flipped back upright and back aboard. The blades for the mirage drive were bent to about 30 deg from straight so they were useless, but the evolve still worked and had a paddle so it wasnt all bad.
Boat flipps over and I remember that none of my gear was leashed.Lost 4 rods. Black steel, etc etc, custom rod from fisholic John, etc. 4 brand new saltists.......DIDNT lose the fish though. Critical.

Got things back together and got home. I cant begin to imagine why the animal didnt hear me, or see me. Big Ocean Theory, I guess. Same reason we have midair collisions.

Good Lessons. Stay calm in a bad situation and you will live. Close all hatches when not in use ant the boat probably wont load with water when you flip, and you will, its bound to happen once in life. lesson three for me was that these MFs are so dam big they can hit you, but Ill probably win the lotto before that happens again.
Special thanks to Darkhorse for teaching me how to find big ass bottom fish. It aint always about Yellowtail.

The New Year is coming Guys!
Lets be careful out there!
Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote