Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
momo fish

Camp / kayak suggestions.. Need help asap

hi.. Been so busy at work didn't realize its a 3 day weekend and my kids love to camp... But I love to kayak as well..

will be heading down to legoland on saturday and would like to tent camp nearby and then kayak early in morning while kids play.. Would love to camp near LJ and fish that area for first time.. Swore I see people camp in san clemente but could be wrong.. Let me know if anyone can help..

also for future as I go camping often all the way as north as san fran, any suggestions where to camp.kayak..

thanks!
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
09Aztec
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
hi.. Been so busy at work didn't realize its a 3 day weekend and my kids love to camp... But I love to kayak as well..

will be heading down to legoland on saturday and would like to tent camp nearby and then kayak early in morning while kids play.. Would love to camp near LJ and fish that area for first time.. Swore I see people camp in san clemente but could be wrong.. Let me know if anyone can help..

also for future as I go camping often all the way as north as san fran, any suggestions where to camp.kayak..

thanks!

There is camping in in Carlsbad on the beach at S. Carlsbad and another camp ground a little south of that called San Elijo. The campground you are probably thinking of near San Clemente is San Onofre.

San Elijo and Carlsbad are much better campgrounds in my opinion, the camp sites in San O are much closer to the freeway than to the beach.

Unfortunately, I think your chances of getting a space at any of those places are slim to none.

Good luck finding something with your family though, hope you guys enjoy your weekend.
09Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
JeffB

You can also Camp right on the beach at Pendleton. There is a RV/ camp ground area and it is really close to the 5.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:

thanks!
So Carlsbad State Beach.It'll definitely b-full this wkend.They have stairs dn2 the beach a big wkout to carry ur kayak up/dn.Also San Elijo next2 Cardiff.Hava great wkend!
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
JeffB

Plus there are two boat ramp right next to there where you can launch from out of the Camp Pendleton Harbor. You just can't fish inside of the Pendleton area with out a base permit. You can get one for $6 at the game wardens office if you wanted to go that route and fish on base
Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
otterpupster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
You can also Camp right on the beach at Pendleton. There is a RV/ camp ground area and it is really close to the 5.
Unfortunately u-can't swim at Pendelton.Marines warn of unexploded ordinance.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
otterpupster

Quote:

thanks!
Carlsbad backbay wch runs across freeway.There's boatlaunch,but last time I chk they charge a launch fee & city of Carlsbad user permit as well. I guess thats why you dont see alot of kayaks on the bay.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
JeffB

Who says you can't swim there? I just got out not too long ago and was stationed there 9yrs. You can swim off the beach or swim off the small beach on the harbor side, opposite side of the jetty.

We use to have unit beach days there all the time. We would swim, surf, boogie board and jet ski. There are no ordinance at the beach. That just crazy, lol!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
momo fish

thanks.. Your right as its near power plant or the big giant fun ball as my kids call it.. I feel shitty for not planning ahead as I camp often up north towards major parks, just never near beach areas.. Will research those areas and either way heading down. Hoping there is some open spots at san elijo and can try driving to LJ or launch near oceanside..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Aztec View Post
There is camping in in Carlsbad on the beach at S. Carlsbad and another camp ground a little south of that called San Elijo. The campground you are probably thinking of near San Clemente is San Onofre.

San Elijo and Carlsbad are much better campgrounds in my opinion, the camp sites in San O are much closer to the freeway than to the beach.

Unfortunately, I think your chances of getting a space at any of those places are slim to none.

Good luck finding something with your family though, hope you guys enjoy your weekend.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
momo fish

like that idea and will look into it!!love this site...

was also looking for a place where I can camp and launch from same area.. Would love for kids to see me out fishing and on the way back in get trashed for not timing the waves as usual.

Quote:
Plus there are two boat ramp right next to there where you can launch from out of the Camp Pendleton Harbor. You just can't fish inside of the Pendleton area with out a base permit. You can get one for $6 at the game wardens office if you wanted to go that route and fish on base
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
otterpupster

Quote:
Who says you can't swim there? I just got out not too long ago and was stationed there 9yrs. You can swim off the beach or swim off the small beach on the harbor side, opposite side of the jetty.

We use to have unit beach days there all the time. We would swim, surf, boogie board and jet ski. There are no ordinance at the beach. That just crazy, lol!
Years ago my father in law use to get Pendelton pass at a beach near Las Pulgas turnoff.Marines use to let campers & RV's at that beach,but we were warned not to swim the area du2 poss unexploded ordinance.Only surf fish.Havent seen that beach used anymore.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
JeffB

Lol, that's a training area now. It's called Reds Beach, not even close to the area I'm referring him too.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
JeffB

They also have beach rentals there if you wanted a little house instead. They have showers in the restrooms as well if you do pitch a tent. The put in a new cantina bar on the beach too. It's really nice. They put a lot of money into the beach the last few years.

http://www.mccscp.com/beaches

PS, there are no unexploded ordinances there, lol!!!

Last edited by JeffB; 05-23-2013 at 09:15 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
momo fish

dam! This looks so awesome !! Thanks soo much, would never have known about this... Now for my fav part.. Any advise on launching or fishing from these areas?

Quote:
They also have beach rentals there if you wanted a little house instead. They have showers in the restrooms as well if you do pitch a tent. The put in a new cantina bar on the beach too. It's really nice. They put a lot of money into the beach the last few years.

http://www.mccscp.com/beaches

PS, there are no unexploded ordinances there, lol!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
dorado50

If you plan on camping in LJ get there before 7am as most spots are all claimed by 8am.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
momo fish

thanks.. What is camp site called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
If you plan on camping in LJ get there before 7am as most spots are all claimed by 8am.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
JeffB

If you were to go the Pendleton route, your kids can watch you from the jetty wall or Oceanside harbor. Echo1 fishes out of there all the time with his kid on the back of his Revo. Plenty of docks to fish. I would recommend 3"-4" swim baits with 1/2oz lead heads or you can fish the wall outside. Recommend the same sizes, but may add a 3/4oz to it. Or you can fish the ARs out a little ways. They are killer for monster sandbass. The harbor should be full of halibut this time of year as well. May/June was always killer for me while stationed there.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
thanks.. What is camp site called?

Camp Dorado50!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Camp Dorado50!
i think dorado50 is inviting him to camp in his front yard just get there by 7:00am
Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
momo fish

And i WILL be there !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
i think dorado50 is inviting him to camp in his front yard just get there by 7:00am